Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I’m confident in this squads character, we’ve already shown we can do enough against sides holding on to what they have.

Not got the outright quality going forward to blow teams away,  but we are regularly doing enough to make teams crumble under pressure. 

Give me a hardworking organised side who give up very little over a pretentious ‘playing the right way’ side trying to score the perfect goal and wanking over possession stats every single time.

4 hours ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

That doesn't fully stack up. Yogi also signed Donaldson, who was pretty much a no-nonsense centre back too.

McPake is doing really well, and Benedictus and Hamilton are great additions, but he was dealt a squad with Comrie, Breen, Edwards and MacDonald - all of whom should be able to excel at the level we're at. 

I was always pretty confident that he'd have us pretty well drilled defensively. The issue was always going to be scoring goals rather than keeping them out. 

Also, yet to see how we respond to losing the opening goal in a game. That will be a test when it happens.

Tbf lost first goal against Thistle and Ayr in final part of last season and came back to win.

Last season was a whole different ball game to this one though - thankfully in the main. 

We also had one or two more threatening players in the squad, although you wouldn't have known it for the majority of the time.  If I remember correctly, Thomas played well in the Thistle game. We absolutely stole the Ayr game.

Last season was a whole different ball game to this one though - thankfully in the main. 
We also had one or two more threatening players in the squad, although you wouldn't have known it for the majority of the time.  If I remember correctly, Thomas played well in the Thistle game. We absolutely stole the Ayr game.
Got a big slice of luck in the Thistle game as well tbf, them scoring an OG straight after they scored.

On 04/09/2022 at 00:39, Cardle is Magic said:

I would happily take a one-sided romp to the title but I feel that is extremely unlikely for any side in this league.

image.thumb.jpeg.96cec8c81202902be848fd1ec4bc38cd.jpeg

Really didn’t see us being contenders this season but we are very fit and organised. Not quite the flair of the 2016 mob.

4 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

image.thumb.jpeg.96cec8c81202902be848fd1ec4bc38cd.jpeg

Really didn’t see us being contenders this season but we are very fit and organised. Not quite the flair of the 2016 mob.

Something from the QoS Vs Pars thread that really pleased me was a Queens fan saying how aggressive we looked. Genuinely can't remember the last time we had a team that I thought had that about them, no pushovers etc. 

31 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Come on, biggest budget, bookies favourites and dropping a level. 

If the manager had started with a clean slate then of course. The only nailed-on new starter McPake has been able to bring in is Benedictus. Hard work, fitness and organisation is all McPake has added and even he joked that after watching videos of last season’s games he wanted to sign a whole new team. Promotion simply wasn’t mentioned by the CEO or manager before the season started. 

We couldn’t even manage a goal over two legs against the team that finished 4th in last season’s League One. 

Come on, biggest budget, bookies favourites and dropping a level. 

Still not made many signings and unless additions are made, if we pick up injuries in vulnerable areas it could be very costly.

There was always a chance that we would be up there but it certainly wasn’t a given, and after 6 games it still isn’t. As for the bookies, I’m fairly sure we were in and around the top 2 or 3 places last season as well and look how that turned out.

It has been a very promising start though. Much more hopeful of a good season now than I was before a ball had been kicked.

2 minutes ago, Andriy_Parmolenko said:

Still not made many signings and unless additions are made, if we pick up injuries in vulnerable areas it could be very costly.

There was always a chance that we would be up there but it certainly wasn’t a given, and after 6 games it still isn’t. As for the bookies, I’m fairly sure we were in and around the top 2 or 3 places last season as well and look how that turned out.

It has been a very promising start though. Much more hopeful of a good season now than I was before a ball had been kicked.

For a time the bookies last season had us in with Killie as favourites and probably priced Abroath more likely to finish bottom than top, at this level they really don't have a clue instead act like a wind sock for the cash that's being put on.

Falkirk have signed more than us I think. I suppose you could argue that our players we had are playing closer to their potential now under a competent coaching team. So having higher standard of players already helps us. Wage budget will be up there based on the contracts given last season for sure.

1 hour ago, Heaton said:

Falkirk have signed more than us I think. I suppose you could argue that our players we had are playing closer to their potential now under a competent coaching team. So having higher standard of players already helps us. Wage budget will be up there based on the contracts given last season for sure.

Absolutely

2 hours ago, Heaton said:

Falkirk are also planning off losing 700k?

We're back!

Episode two of the East End Tales podcast takes us back to 2005 and the return of Jim Leishman to the dugout as we escape relegation by a thread (or a point).

We talk about the infamous Livingston match, what he said to the squad to motivate them and much more. 

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/11264998

We're back!
Episode two of the East End Tales podcast takes us back to 2005 and the return of Jim Leishman to the dugout as we escape relegation by a thread (or a point).
We talk about the infamous Livingston match, what he said to the squad to motivate them and much more. 
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/11264998
Superb, will give it a listen after work.

18 hours ago, Andriy_Parmolenko said:

This is very much true, however I think it's clear it applies to just about everyone. E.g. we'd be in trouble if we lost Bene for a long period. I'm sure Airdrie would be similar with Fordyce. Everyone has a pretty threadbare squad so there's going to be an element of luck involved.

Falkirk on paper look to have more depth but a lot of those guys have essentially already failed at this level last season.