Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Doesn’t sound like there’s anything  in the pipeline. Made an offer to one club, who decided the offer wasn’t good enough. Had a bid for another player accepted, but they didn’t want to come. It’s hardly sounding like they’ve been desperate to boost the squad.

edit - misread and somehow missed the paragraph about several players in England. Nevertheless, surely we need backup options/alternatives? If clubs at a certain level want their players playing at a higher level, we shouldn’t be making all of our alternate targets players from clubs at the same/similar level.

We don’t want to fill the squad with garbage. But we do also need some form of cover.

Edited by CallumPar

Dorrans won't be a miss. Was a poor signing in the first place. His injuries must be pretty bad too, unless he somehow has a deal lined up with a Championship club. 

Letting Wilson go for nothing last season was a shitter. f**k Hughes, Grant and the board for last season. They are why we are in this mess. Absolutely everyone could see how it would end except them seemingly. 

League 1 simply isn't an attractive prospect to so many players, as we're seeing. Only the foolish doubted that the club weren't trying to do business, but sounds like they might have overestimated the draw of playing at Dunfermline and/or underestimated how difficult it will be getting folk in.

I get that they don't want signings for the sake of it, like Hughes did, but also it's League 1. They don't have to be that good. 

Anyway, something about reaping and sowing.

Edited by DA Baracus

20 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Either need players to get out of their contracts today or rely on a domestic loan which can be made pretty much from now until March anyway

Eh? You can do them in September and February (plus the window is open through January). You can't do a loan from October and December or in March.

Crawford had a great eye for players in the Scottish leagues. Turner, Wilson, Edwards, E Murray, Comrie, Lang, Thomson, Nisbet, Dow, Kiltie, Thomas, MacDonald, F Murray, McInroy, Mayo, Henderson, Watson, Wighton. Some worked better than others, but there wqs a sense to it.

I get that being in League 1 makes it much harder, but was Crawford solely responsible for scouting? He and the club had a clear model of signing younger lads to develop, assisted by some more experienced players. What is the model now?

30 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Also, were the club really thinking they could get players from the English Premiership?! 😅

Tbf our new keeper is from Nottingham Forrest U21s and you’d have to think that’s the sort of players the statement is referring to. Also his da’ played for us but I don’t know if that’s relevant or not.

Edited by Just a bairn

10 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

Tbf our new keeper is from Nottingham Forrest U21s and you’d have to think that’s the sort of players the statement is referring to. Also his da’ played for us but I don’t know if that’s relevant or not.

I think it helps that his parents are local and means we don’t need to pay any digs for him to stay in.

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

In all seriousness, you must have noticed teams have been making more than 3 subs during games? Away to Arbroath last season, we made 4 subs at once.

Basically, you’re allowed a 9 man bench and can bring on up to 5 players now. But it can only be done across 3 stoppages in play. So can’t stop for 5 separate substitutions, have to make multiple changes at a time to make the most of it.

Aye I knew teams could make more than 4 but not that it had to be done across 3 stoppages in play.

22 minutes ago, Just a bairn said:

Forest might end up regretting it if they get short of players though.

1 hour ago, Just a bairn said:

We are absolutely massive tbf. Forest probably assumed we were in the Premiership 

3 hours ago, DAFC. said:

All of that is on the club for their catastrophic decisions last season. Reap what you sow.

“No one wants us cos we are a League 1 club wah wah wah” Fucking deal with it.

That's exactly what comes across. A pretty bizarre statement because:

A - It is their fault you are in League 1. The statement comes across as if they are at an unfair disadvantage, when it's entirely fair.

B - They've known you are in this league for over 3 months. You'd think they only found out yesterday afternoon.

C - Pursuing realistic targets is surely part of the skill of recruitment. Going after guys who are out your league (in every sense) and then complaining because they rejected you seems a bit off.

Recruitment is difficult in this league as a promotion chasing side, but that is the reality of getting relegated to this league. It's clearly taking a while for that to sink in for your board.

To be fair and I might be wrong but this feels like it's originated from our CEO who came in after the season finished. At least its honest if nothing else.

Engaging with the fanbase has been a problem and I feel its a step in repairing that . 

Now stop writing statements and sign some jobbers please.

Aye, our fanbase like a statement from the board - to explain why what they wanted to happen hasn't happened.

Then when they get a statement, they like to complain about the statement.  It's all part of being a Pars fan.

Having said that, the criticism was fair after their car crash of a correspondence following our first visit to Dumfries last year.  However, it has been markedly better since Cook took charge.