Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Noticed someone referring to a post on the EEB forum that covered most details of last nights meeting. Thanks to Piracy for collating and posting:

Introduction, David Cook said they'd be 3 such supporters events this season. Mentioned a few positives, including season ticket sales, new sponsors coming onboard, and pointed out the great working relationship he has with James McPake. Chuffed with the start to the season. Concerns (along with the rest of society) about the challenging backdrop in relation to increasing costs due to the present energy situation. But positive about managing it. He stated we just need to keep working hard.

James McPake stressed his disappointment about the exit from the league cup (Premier Sports Cup) from a footballing perspective. However it's been the only disappointment so far footballing wise as we've had a good start to the league campaign. He did stress we were poor against Kelty last week and said we need to be more ruthless in games. Not being ruthless enough maybe a hangover from last season for some players.

Kyle Benedictus spoke about the positive start to the season and he said he is enjoying being at the club. There's a good squad spirit, good mix and balance of ability among the players.

Cook was asked about what he seen as the biggest shortcomings since coming to the club, also the biggest opportunities. He replied poor recruitment had been a big issue, this was a fact and they were determined to change this. They're working on improving process off field. Praised the previous board members for saving the club, but it was understandable they'd be fatigued after 10 years of hard work and they had acknowledged new investment and people were required to take the club forward. He sees real potential for growth and the resulting revenue will allow them to develop a lot of their plans. They have identified 13 initiatives so far, some are quick hits and some are longer term incremental growths. Not going to be easy to manage.

Next question for David Cook was are we still paying for former managers. Not willing to say one way or the other (probably legal implications), but either way it wasn't affecting the club in any way.

Then some question about going from 1 man up front to 3 strikers this season. Don't expect me to wax lyrical with detail here, tactics bore me rigid. However McPake did say we're not scoring enough goals even though we're creating chances so he's not too worried just now and won't crucify them but will keep working with the players to rectify it. Players are showing disappointment during the match and post match when not scoring more from the opportunities created. Again, he'll work with the players on their composure and build their confidence and he believes the goals will come.

Question asked to McPake was, did he have an ideal number regarding a squad number. He said during training sessions, 20 players and 2 keeper. Acknowledged we need to strengthen the squad. Next question, do we need wingers? McPake said he likes to play fullbacks high up the pitch, and believes that a formation is a formation and as long as we're creating chances he's happy. So doesn't see the need to play with out and out wingers all the time. Teams do and will come in to EEP and set out to frustrate up by sitting in. We have to counter that by breaking them down, he expects all his players to be flexible during games.

Regarding the training facility/academy, are we any further forward with it's development. Cook answered they're expecting final costings back for the building works then they'll create a timeline with priorities. Final planning submission for the floodlit 3G pitch expected to be processed in 2 to 3 weeks. I think it was also said that Grieg Shields has had the academy playing on the grass down there, but I can't substantiate that (was on ma phone). Shields feeling the benefit of not playing all over Fife with the laddies. Confirmation that we're not using Alloa's ground for training this season.

McPake spoke about being extremely impressed with East End and it's facilities, factor in him coming here. Said it was a better set-up than Dundee. Kyle Benedictus also said it was better than Dundee, and also Raith Rovers (guid c*nt). McPake spoke about the players hanging about after training and Benefictus agreed with that and went on to speak about a good team spirit, a closeness in the dressing room. He'd also like to see continued backing from the fans as well. McPake said that big noise from the crowd at home games was important and he said it was intimidating to opposition players.  He mentioned that they play music in the dressing room deliberately at high volume post match to pis$ off the opposition. They set out to annoy them, he wants opposition players to dread playing here. Again back to being too nice and welcoming to rival clubs. I personally dig this kind of patter.

McPake asked about Joe Chalmers performances and being picked on by a section of our support. He responded by saying he had never worked with Chalmers but was aware of him as a player. He backed Chalmers recent performances, his positive presence in the dressing room, his encouragement of the younger players, his high commitment on the training pitch. He also stressed he pays no attention to forums, so wasn't aware of fans opinions on the likes of Chalmers.

Cook answered a question about the clubs goals. He started by saying we need to stop a losing mentality and develop a winning mentality. Continual planning and developing strategy, backed by ambition to get out of this league. But we're in this league because we deserve to be, we need to all work hard to get out of it. Wants to be a club that is renowned for punching above their weight. McPake said he has players like Kyle Benedictus who know what it takes to get promoted, we need players with the right mentality. 

Cook answered the next question about how many season tickets we've sold and how do we count match day attendances. He said we've sold approximately 2,500 and that on match days we count those season tickets plus match day tickets sold, referred to this as a 'declared attendance''. The actual crowd is about 10 to 30% lower given those seats not filled by season tickets holders.

McPake spoke about the positives of having local youngsters in the team. It's an important factor in growing a bond in a community club. Benedictus said Chris Hamilton is often heard developing a song for himself he hopes will be chanted on the terraces 🙂. He loves the Pars apparently. McPake said several premiership and championship clubs were after his signature but he wanted to come and further his career here, that's great news to me.

Cook was asked about the new name KDM EEP. He spoke about revenue etc, like you'd have expected. However he said Ian Jones from KDM insisted that EEP wouldn't be dropped and if it had been suggested, he'd have walked away.

On the dodgy auld PA system, apparently £60k to replace, so that would be better spent on the playing side. However, when we're better off financially it'll get replaced.

Last point is I asked if there was any signings incoming and were there any specific reasons for the lack of signings, inviting both Cook and McPake to answer. Cook said that they've committed to backing every request made by McPake for potential signings. He stressed that they're not just going out to get players that make up numbers, been too much of that in the last couple of seasons. They're looking for specific players with the right attributes and mindsets. McPake said he takes more of the blame here than the board for the lack of signings, maybe being too specific and he confirmed the board are backing him. They've been relentlessly trailing a player and have made an offer, which the player still has on the table. They were sitting waiting on the call last Friday, but just couldn't get it over the line as the player just didn't say yes. They're sure that we will see players coming in before they can't sign anyone.

Hope this gives a flavour of what was discussed. Apologies for it being a bit sketchy in bits.

Edited by The Toun Clock

5 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

He stressed that they're not just going out to get players that make up numbers, been too much of that in the last couple of seasons. 

Something we could all see! Also a bit of a subtle dig at those who allowed it? Fully deserved if so.

For some reason the name Reece Cole popped in to my head earlier.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned up to training one day, still a player, having been out injured and totally forgotten by everyone.

However having just looked him up he's playing in the English 7th tier.

On 25/08/2022 at 13:08, The Toun Clock said:

Can't think who this might be but hopefully it still works out. I can't think why Alfredo Morelos wouldn't want to join on loan, bridies are great! 

Wrong player although you might be right about the club🤞

21 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

For some reason the name Reece Cole popped in to my head earlier.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned up to training one day, still a player, having been out injured and totally forgotten by everyone.

However having just looked him up he's playing in the English 7th tier.

Still too high a level.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Still too high a level.

Haha! A bit harsh perhaps. At times he looked ok, although perhaps that was only in comparison to the dreck around him. Far too injured though.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Haha! A bit harsh perhaps. At times he looked ok, although perhaps that was only in comparison to the dreck around him. Far too injured though.

That entire team would have been played off the park at Sunday league level. Far too injured and his set piece speciality doesn't make up for offering nothing for the rest of the time he's on the pitch

18 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Well gents, can we start the build up to the 17th now?  Going to be Scotland's 'Match of the Day', shurely.  Canny wait to get re-aquainted.  

We have the queen's game which will be tough to go up against another team that was playing at a higher level last season. Followed by Clyde hopefully we can return to EEP having collected 6 points on the road.

21 minutes ago, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Well gents, can we start the build up to the 17th now?  Going to be Scotland's 'Match of the Day', shurely.  Canny wait to get re-aquainted.  

Aye, good set of results for the champions-elect today. We don't play well at Palmerston (and haven't thus far this season tbh) and have Clyde away which is the kind of game we'd usually slip up in so we could be doing with bringing in a fee bodies before then.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

We have the queen's game which will be tough to go up against another team that was playing at a higher level last season. Followed by Clyde hopefully we can return to EEP having collected 6 points on the road.

Yaddah yaddah yaddah forget all that 101, we're talking the 17th!!!  You honestly not getting a little moist yet thinking about it?? 

Just now, Bluegrass Bairn said:

Yaddah yaddah yaddah forget all that 101, we're talking the 17th!!!  You honestly not getting a little moist yet thinking about it?? 

Too early yet man. Keep your powder dry for a couple of weeks.

Gives us all more time to think up appalling insults and dreadful patter.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Hope the Falkirk fans all get very excited and buy lots of tickets for the 17th 💰

They'll shift at least 2000 I think. Will be a great attendance overall that day. Club will no doubt announce it as circa 10000.

29 minutes ago, AlwaysAPar said:

Pleasing vindication watching this united Celtic game that Ross Graham actually is as hopeless as we all thought last season

He completely fell apart, seems to be a big confidence player, which you can maybe get away with as a winger or striker, but center back consistency is crucial. 

20 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

They'll shift at least 2000 I think. Will be a great attendance overall that day. Club will no doubt announce it as circa 10000.

I thought it was interesting at the supporters council Cook said all attendances are considered 10-30% lower than the actual number of people in the stadium.

Would be good to break 6000 which I think is possible. Don't know what our record is for L1

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

I thought it was interesting at the supporters council Cook said all attendances are considered 10-30% lower than the actual number of people in the stadium.

Would be good to break 6000 which I think is possible. Don't know what our record is for L1

Peterhead game - before we got the trophy in 2016 - was 6,236.

I'm guessing we've had higher when we in third tier under Leish in the 80s?