Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Does our system allow away teams to give priority access to their ST holders? In the same way our fans are criticising Kelty/Edinburgh/fanbase here, wouldn’t our only way to sort it be to give an exclusive link/access code, that could easily be shared with non-ST holders?

We certainly didn’t arrange anything for any teams last season, despite teams like Raith selling out the NE. We gave Killie less seats than they had ST holders when they were in the NE. So why are we assuming we would put such a thing in place? Right now, this all seems quite hypocritical.

Eh? We'd just do what we've always done in these situations, that being give the tickets to the away club to sell.

Also, why would we have given Kilmarnock the same number of tickets as they have season ticket holders?

Edited by DA Baracus

38 minutes ago, 101 said:

We would probably just print all the tickets and give them to the away team to sell if the away team wanted that. Seems logical.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Eh? We'd just do what we've always done in these situations, that being give the tickets to the away club to sell.

Fair enough, guess we’ll just have to wait and see what we do for the likes of Falkirk (or a big team in the cup). But we didn’t do this for Raith or Killie when we only gave them 1,000 tickets last season. Was just first come first served on our ticketing site. We’re using a totally different ticketing system now, so not sure what we did when all tickets were paper is particularly relevant.

I would honestly be surprised if we gave tickets to away teams for them to sell. I was told by someone at the club, that one of the main benefits of the new ticketing system is that money goes direct to the club and they don’t have to wait for the away team to send the money for their tickets - which apparently used to take a while in some cases. That suggested to me that we won’t be doing what you guys suggest, but I could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Fair enough, guess we’ll just have to wait and see what we do for the likes of Falkirk (or a big team in the cup). But we didn’t do this for Raith or Killie when we only gave them 1,000 tickets last season. Was just first come first served on our ticketing site. We’re using a totally different ticketing system now, so not sure what we did when all tickets were paper is particularly relevant.

I would honestly be surprised if we gave tickets to away teams for them to sell. I was told by someone at the club, that one of the main benefits of the new ticketing system is that money goes direct to the club and they don’t have to wait for the away team to send the money for their tickets - which apparently used to take a while in some cases. That suggested to me that we won’t be doing what you guys suggest, but I could be wrong.

Id imagine it will only really be a concern if Hearts/Hibs/Celtic/Rangers/Aberdeen came to town in the cup the Cowdenbeath end is more than big enough for the rest of the club's traveling support. Different situation last season with the away teams largely getting changed in the undercroft.

Quite strong words from McPake after the game about the squad depth issues. Clearly as frustrated as the rest of us:

"I'm not going to stand here and lie. In games like this you do see how threadbare the squad is. It worked today but on another day I`m standing here frustrated because I can`t make the changes.

"Through the week we can`t put on 11v11 on. That`s the point it`s at, I am training with 10 bodies at times.

"There was a 16 year old (Taylor Sutherland) that I met for the first time this morning on the bench that played last night. We were thinking that if we need something on the right, he`s really fast - but the way the game was I had to put Kyle on. If it was like last week`s game, we maybe could have put him on to hurt a team down to 10 men, then I would have put the kid on. 

“It's frustrating, but we are working. I know where we are, I know what relegation has caused to happen at the club but we need to work hard to get players over the line and get additions to the squad. I`m saying this from a training perspective because I`m getting a little bit frustrated I can`t put a proper training session on because I don`t have enough bodies."

Shite situation, but the club have no one to blame but themselves. The board made the worst managerial appointment in the club's history, apparently based on a game where we pumped Alloa 1-4, and they then appointed a well past it moronic failure after.

They allowed both losers to sign a multitude of players, some of whom to long term contracts, apparently without relegation clauses.

We are a League 1 club. We are competing with three other full time clubs in our division and Kelty who can probably offer good wages.

Most full time players will want to play in the Championship at a minimum. Ayr, Morton, Hamilton, Inverness, Partick, Raith, Dundee and Queens Park are full time and are all instantly more attractive than us simply because they play at a higher level.

In addition there are the rising energy costs. I imagine the board budgeted for some increase in those costs, but when the budget was set was probably a couple of months ago, and energy costs have went up more than expected since and might go up more. Probably best then that some player budget can be swallowed up by these rises rather than maxing the player budget and then having to find extra funds for the increase in energy costs.

That's all total guesswork mind, as I have absolutely no idea what the club's budget is.

I imagine we'll make a couple of signings in the next couple of weeks, but can’t see too many and think the squad will run light until at least January. Just have to hope we get lucky with njuries and suspensions. It's good that Hamilton, Todd and Macdonald can play more than one position.

Anyway, despite the above it has been a great start. Three wins out of three, top of the league and no goals conceded. The two home games have seen less than stellar performances, but full points are very welcome.

We now go in to a very tough period where 3 out of the next 4 are away, with the home game being against a good Airdrie side, followed by a home derby game. We should have Dorrans back soon who can hopefully add some attacking threat to the midfield. Personally I'd like to see Hamilton, Mochrie and Dorrans as the midfield three if McPake insists on going 4-3-3.

Cautious optimism here. We won our first three league games in 20/21 and had a great first half of the season, but fell away badly, although still ended up in the (good) playoffs. New manager and teams though.

Edited by DA Baracus

Cautious optimism, but at least we’ve now got a team worth going to the games now, rather than the dross the past season. You can see they are all in it together whereas the last season it just felt like we were turning up and hoping the players would just shitfest a result.

I said before a ball was kicked I’d be happy with top 4, but we might actually sustain a proper title challenge.

He is obviously fuming with the situation we are in squad wise. 

Dorrans is probably on the wage of 3 reasonable squad players. Still hamstrung by the morons the board appointments of last year. 

The good thing is that with a decent start we might look like a better option than Falkirk or QoS for players coming on loan. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Cautious optimism, but at least we’ve now got a team worth going to the games now, rather than the dross the past season. You can see they are all in it together whereas the last season it just felt like we were turning up and hoping the players would just shitfest a result.

I said before a ball was kicked I’d be happy with top 4, but we might actually sustain a proper title challenge.

Far, far, far too early to suggest that.

52 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

He is obviously fuming with the situation we are in squad wise. 

Dorrans is probably on the wage of 3 reasonable squad players. Still hamstrung by the morons the board appointments of last year. 

The good thing is that with a decent start we might look like a better option than Falkirk or QoS for players coming on loan. 

McPake will have known the budget and restraints before coming in, so sympathy is limited from me.

I think League One teams rely on loan deals and obviously with you being one of the biggest, if not the biggest League One club right now, then you'll only want the best. Problem with that is that means you need to hang on.

Gary Bowyer alluded to that fact in his pre-match interview saying that there's been quite a number of clubs wanting to take some of our players but we're not letting anyone go until we're sorted first and that seems to have created a massive issue this pre-season where managers can't get who they want because this seems to have been a policy adopted all over the place.

We only let Ewan Murray & Jack Wilkie out to Peterhead yesterday and they're two players that are too young to make any sort of impact with us this season because their positions are well covered and these aren't players that'd probably even be on McPake's radar to bring in from ourselves.

The 5 sub rule is also proving to be a b*****d as it means teams are hanging onto more players that should be getting farmed out for development.

He sounds very proud of the players he does actually have though. That wee bit of adversity with the tighter squad and guys who were used to losing every week now grinding out wins for the new manager. For his own job security it’s good for him to spell out exactly what the situation is like for him too. His recruitment has looked spot on too. Low on numbers but high on quality so far. 

I’d imagine the current run of results might make us a bit more appealing to players, than we were 2/3 months ago. I’d hope that players would look at it as a chance to compete for a title/promotion. 3 wins and 3 clean sheets. We will have rough spells during the season, but we’ve shown that we’re capable of competing for the title. All we need for that is a full squad, so that we can cope with injuries/suspensions and have competition for places, keeping everyone on their toes.

Not saying we will win the league, or even get promoted this season. We’re only 3 games in. But there’s a much more positive feel about things and there seems to be a togetherness in the squad that wasn’t there at any point last season. I feel like that should work in our favour, when it comes to recruitment.

20 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

The 5 sub rule is also proving to be a b*****d as it means teams are hanging onto more players that should be getting farmed out for development.

Aye, that is a good point. A rule that's holding back youth players getting first team football elsewhereand needs looked at .3 subs and a spare keeper was fine. The ability to change half your team is becoming a bit of a joke. It's an advantage to bigger wealthier clubs too.

Sounds promising. Tbf Breen and Benedictus have been absolutely solid so far, but it gives us that option to play 3 at the back with wing backs if we are looking to change it up, and of course we need cover for centre halves as I actually can't think of any other out-and-out centre halves at the club. 

Could do with a centre mid, another attacking midfielder/winger and I think that would be us pretty much covered. 

Edited by DAFC.