Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Incredibly disappointing stuff after we conceded. We regressed big time to the shite of last season after being in control up until then (looking comfortable and should have had more goals). Seems like last season could be hard for some to shake off. After the goal the players looked nervous and confidence notably dropped. Deeply concerning. 

The Chalmers for Hamilton sub was just so deflating. Hamilton had beem having a really good game. I get why McPake did it (to give Chalmers game time since Hamilton is suspended next week and the week after), but it didn't work and the thought of Chalmers starting the next two is not comforting.

That's us out the cup. Shite, as that could have funded another signing potentially. Also, if the draw was kind who knows if we would have gotten through? We could have drawn Annan.

Edited by DA Baracus

First half was fairly decent. Alloa looked alright, but didn’t trouble us. McCann had 2 good chances and forced a good save from the Alloa keeper. Second half, we started strong, then fell apart as soon as we had that run of 4 shots that were all blocked.

Once we conceded, heads went down and for some reason, our intensity dropped. Taking off Hamilton was odd. Todd was knackered and Hamilton was our best midfielder by some distance. Then Chalmers came on and barely broke sweat. Same goes for Todorov when he came on. First half (and every game so far), McCann was closing down defenders, hassling them. Todorov did that for a few minutes, then started walking whenever their defenders had the ball.

Moving McCann out wide when he was starting to tire was another odd move and really shows why we need to add depth to the squad. Alloa made subs to change the game and we don’t have the personnel to be able to do that.

Maybe we needed that kick up the ass. Second half was nowhere near good enough and we need to see a reaction from that next week.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McPake making subs that change the game for the better... for the opposition is a trademark move. Get used to it.

To be fair to him, anyone he brings on at the moment will not be an improvement on the starting XI given how utterly shallow our squad is.

In saying that, I'd rather Tod came on instead of Chalmers. I'd rather Sammy The Tammy came on instead of Chalmers.

Any positives to take?

I didn’t make it today although I was at the stadium at about 2:30 picking up the season tickets ahead of next weekend. I was quite surprised at how busy it looked, so when I realised the attendance was less than 2000 I was shocked. 

I honestly feel for Chalmers. He had a really shite end to last season when it was discovered he wasn’t very good and a bit of a shitebag. Then he scored the own goal that sealed our fate in the playoffs and he’s now missed a kick in the shootout which all but knocked us out the cup, the guy must feel lower than a snakes belly which is a concern considering he’ll be in for Hamilton next weekend and the following, such a big loss.

I know Alloa were a bit of a bogey team for us but that result concerns me today. We need more bodies in, I know he’s waiting for the right ones but we really need some more quality. Hopefully there’s a chance to get some in before Saturday.

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

Any positives to take?

I didn’t make it today although I was at the stadium at about 2:30 picking up the season tickets ahead of next weekend. I was quite surprised at how busy it looked, so when I realised the attendance was less than 2000 I was shocked. 

I honestly feel for Chalmers. He had a really shite end to last season when it was discovered he wasn’t very good and a bit of a shitebag. Then he scored the own goal that sealed our fate in the playoffs and he’s now missed a kick in the shootout which all but knocked us out the cup, the guy must feel lower than a snakes belly which is a concern considering he’ll be in for Hamilton next weekend and the following, such a big loss.

I know Alloa were a bit of a bogey team for us but that result concerns me today. We need more bodies in, I know he’s waiting for the right ones but we really need some more quality. Hopefully there’s a chance to get some in before Saturday.

Plenty of positives until the equaliser. We played well until that and missed quite a lot of chances. We should have been at least 2 up at half time. Missed chances second half too until the equaliser. Felt we moved the ball well and had some good passages of play. Hamilton was great, taking the ball in all areas and moving play forward. We absolutely dominated before the equaliser.

It's odd reading comments elsewhere about the game today. Genuinely think folk watched a different game to me given the silly comments about 'lack of effort' and 'we were shite' etc.

Chalmers didn't score any goals in the playoffs. In fact, only one player did, and he wasn't a Pars player. Regardless, I don't feel sorry for Chalmers. Pretty sure we were out anyway even if he had won the penalty shoot out.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

That's us out the cup. Shite, as that could have funded another signing potentially. Also, if the draw was kind who knows if we would have gotten through? We could have drawn Annan.

If you’d won today you’d have qualified, but only as an unseeded team, which means you couldn’t have drawn Annan.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

If you’d won today you’d have qualified, but only as an unseeded team, which means you couldn’t have drawn Annan.

I thought Annan won their group?

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

The 8 seeds are the 5 teams who are in Europe this season, plus the 3 best group winners (Dundee and Arbroath are confirmed, and the final one will either be Aberdeen or County depending on Aberdeen’s result tomorrow).

The other 5 group winners and the best 3 runners-up (of which you would have been one with a win today) are the unseeded teams.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They did, but it’s the 5 teams in Europe and the top 3 group winners that are seeded. That won’t include Annan.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Pretty sure we were out anyway even if he had won the penalty shoot out.

Unless Raith win tomorrow, a penalty shootout win would have seen us through to the next round.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The 8 seeds are the 5 teams who are in Europe this season, plus the 3 best group winners (Dundee and Arbroath are confirmed, and the final one will either be Aberdeen or County depending on Aberdeen’s result tomorrow).

The other 5 group winners and the best 3 runners-up (of which you would have been one with a win today) are the unseeded teams.

Ah, forgot there 5 teams in Europe this year! Although haven't actually checked the groups to see if that would have made a difference!

Would have fancied our chances against Motherwell mind...

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Chalmers didn't score any goals in the playoffs. In fact, only one player did, and he wasn't a Pars player. Regardless, I don't feel sorry for Chalmers. Pretty sure we were out anyway even if he had won the penalty shoot out.

When I mentioned Chalmers and playoffs is was that he scored an own goal that essentially sealed our fate which resulted with being in the playoffs. He scored an OG against QoS in the last normal game of the season.

46 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

When I mentioned Chalmers and playoffs is was that he scored an own goal that essentially sealed our fate which resulted with being in the playoffs. He scored an OG against QoS in the last normal game of the season.

Aye, I recall, I was there.

14 hours ago, parxyz said:

If we had won the pens and Aberdeen avoided defeat to Raith tomorrow, then we would have been through. Hey ho.

Think a 2-2 draw and bonus point for Rovers would also have knocked us out on goals scored. We lost our shootout though, so it's all academic.

Was out yesterday but surprised and disappointed that we didn't win the game. Felt we'd win comfortably.

Not shocked that Chalmers missed his penalty after another invisible cameo. A complete waste of space.

13 hours ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

Our bench is horrendous, weakening the team by subs certainly can't be put down to the manager. 

It can though? It's McPakes job to build the squad, the fact that we're a week out from the league starting and we don't have a single wide midfielder, or any sort of attacking depth is 100% on McPake? 

Yesterday was desperately poor and just as bad as anything under Hughes and Grant, we were absolutely insipid in that second half.