Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I think we have a few areas that we will be prioritising - GK, CB and wingers. But it would also be stupid not to look at options, if they are available, in other positions. 

I would expect a keeper to be in soon. We’ve obviously had 2 on trial recently. But also noticed Mehmet’s been given the number 1 shirt. So I think the new keeper is likely to be younger, but still hoping to push Mehmet for that number 1 shirt.

We need cover at CB - ideally, I think we need 2 CBs, but I don’t know if we have room in the budget for that. It would be great if we could get one player to cover CB and LB - Lewis Martin’s versatility would have been great!

We obviously have no wide options. Most weeks, we’ll probably be fine with Wighton, McCann and O’Hara with Todorov as cover, but I’d love to see us have wingers who are comfortable taking men on, running down the line and getting crosses into the box. I think it’s important to have other options.

I also think we need a more creative midfielder, but I can’t see that happening unless we manage to offload one or two of our current options there.

If Dorran's can get fit then I think he'll be a big asset in this league but it's a big IF. McPake mentioned that GD wanted a full pre-season that he didn't get last season, but he only got a few days before getting injured again. If he doesn't feature in the next couple of games I could see him packing it in, although does he then move into a coaching role since he's pals with McPake or does he go altogether which would free up some big wages (apparently). Fairly likely Bene is going to get the armband permanently as he's had it in all the games so far.

FWIW I'm not one of the majority who dislike GD. I know a lot of the fans were disappointed with his reaction at Somerset but they need to move on, quick to give it out but can't take it back. He didn't play much last season but when he did he was pretty sound, would love to see him playing as a 10 or on the more creative side.

3 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

If Dorran's can get fit then I think he'll be a big asset in this league but it's a big IF. McPake mentioned that GD wanted a full pre-season that he didn't get last season, but he only got a few days before getting injured again. If he doesn't feature in the next couple of games I could see him packing it in, although does he then move into a coaching role since he's pals with McPake or does he go altogether which would free up some big wages (apparently). Fairly likely Bene is going to get the armband permanently as he's had it in all the games so far.

FWIW I'm not one of the majority who dislike GD. I know a lot of the fans were disappointed with his reaction at Somerset but they need to move on, quick to give it out but can't take it back. He didn't play much last season but when he did he was pretty sound, would love to see him playing as a 10 or on the more creative side.

Aye, I thought he'd be decent in the "lazy magician" position as long as we had some legs behind him and with Pybus we often had one - another similar player would have been ideal - and he did play further forward to decent effect at Palmerston I think.

Dorrans (not Dorran's; we don't have a player named Dorran) was quite right at Somerset. I'm all for players having a go back at fans if they're getting abused. He was by far from the worst that day anyway!

But in general he's been a really poor signing.

If Dorrans can be that creative midfielder, we need him back fit. To be honest, I think we’d benefit from him being on the pitch, no matter what role he’s asked to play. We have a very young midfield, particularly if Allan might play ahead of Chalmers.

On a slightly unrelated note, I realised earlier that Saturday was the first time I’ve seen us win away from home since March 2019. Crawford was 2 months into the job at that point, we hadn’t signed Nisbet yet. Before Saturday, we hadn’t won in the last 14 away games I attended, under 3 different managers. Our away record has been horrendous for years now. Hopefully McPake can solve that and our Scottish cup curse.

9 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

On a slightly unrelated note, I realised earlier that Saturday was the first time I’ve seen us win away from home since March 2019. Crawford was 2 months into the job at that point, we hadn’t signed Nisbet yet. Before Saturday, we hadn’t won in the last 14 away games I attended, under 3 different managers. Our away record has been horrendous for years now. Hopefully McPake can solve that and our Scottish cup curse.

I had to google that & realised that's my last away win as well.

Utterly shameful record. 

I must be missing something with MacDonald. He’s in the front 3, ahead of Wighton and Todorov? He’s a full back, that has been tried - and failed - on the wing. Wighton and Todorov may not be world beaters, but at least they’re attackers that I’d play in a front 3 ahead of him any day. McCann on the left of the front 3 and Todorov through the middle is better than MacDonald on the left.

Wighton was poor first half Saturday, but improved second half. I’m yet to see MacDonald play particularly well. But this is the 3rd manager in a row that’s tried to squeeze him into the team early on. Grant had him at wing back ahead of Comrie and Hughes played him as a winger/wide midfielder. 

McPake clearly isn't a Todorov fan!

No Chalmers, which is a positive.

Perhaps it's a more standard 4-4-2, although if so why is Macdonald named last in the line up (they usually list players defence to attack)?

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Perhaps it's a more standard 4-4-2, although if so why is Macdonald named last in the line up (they usually list players defence to attack)?

Which is quite strange considering he apparently tried to sign him for us!

Also strange to see McPake veer away from his 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 formations.

MacDonald played in a winger role for a period against Kilmarnock. I would guess it’s more of the same today

19 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

MacDonald played on the left of the front 3 v Killie, which is why I’m assuming that’ll be the case tonight. Not sure what McPake has against Todorov, but he’s about the only player who hasn’t been given any sort of chance so far.

47 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I must be missing something with MacDonald. He’s in the front 3, ahead of Wighton and Todorov? He’s a full back, that has been tried - and failed - on the wing. Wighton and Todorov may not be world beaters, but at least they’re attackers that I’d play in a front 3 ahead of him any day. McCann on the left of the front 3 and Todorov through the middle is better than MacDonald on the left.

Wighton was poor first half Saturday, but improved second half. I’m yet to see MacDonald play particularly well. But this is the 3rd manager in a row that’s tried to squeeze him into the team early on. Grant had him at wing back ahead of Comrie and Hughes played him as a winger/wide midfielder. 

We’re playing Buckie Thistle at home, you would assume this is a good time to experiment.

6 minutes ago, Heaton said:

Yup same. Nearly bumped my head when the camera person tried to zoom for the corner there too.

Aye, sad to see that neither the club, or Pars TV, have bothered their arse to improve those sorts of things.

Got sound now. With more folk than usual in the main stand and the camera facing the main stand, it looks on first appearance like a big game!

How have we not scored in this game? Three great chances so far.

Edited by DA Baracus