Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Really hope we bring in more quality into our midfield, the current choices are not even top half of league one quality.

I'm sure when we get the 5-6 signings in, an attacking centre midfielder will be amongst them.

On 02/07/2022 at 10:38, Shandön Par said:

Tin hat on but I thought Hamill was a bit overrated. He had that great game against Motherwell (IIRC?) and made Neil Lennon look silly but from that period Jim O’Brien delivered more in terms of assists etc, he just wasn’t as flashy. Good to have players like that who actually entertain a bit but they can flatter to deceive in terms of what they actually deliver (see also Paul McMullen, Kai Kennedy…).

Hold on how was this let go? 

Just because he did some step overs doesn't mean he didn't have an end product. The lad had a number of assists, possibly more than O'Brien (whom I also rated).

You could give him the ball and take all the pressure off the defence instantly, win free kicks high up the park and quite simply run at defenders causing all sorts of mayhem. 

My favourite moment was talking to him in Life after thr first Hibs semi final. Everyone in town must have bought him a drink, lad was wasted and had table full of stuff untouched. Nice lad, had time for everyone. 

7 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

Really hope we bring in more quality into our midfield, the current choices are not even top half of league one quality.

I'm sure when we get the 5-6 signings in, an attacking centre midfielder will be amongst them.

No idea how you can make that assessment when you've not watched any other L1 midfield.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

My favourite moment was talking to him in Life after thr first Hibs semi final. Everyone in town must have bought him a drink, lad was wasted and had table full of stuff untouched. Nice lad, had time for everyone. 

Hamill was an incredible player, but unfortunately too many nights like the above were his downfall.   I have little doubt he'd have been an EPL regular if he'd kept on the straight and narrow. 

2 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

How do you know what I've watched or not.

At most you'd have watched brief highlights of teams last season. That is hardly useful research and most teams will be changing part or all of their midfields.

It was just a standard, knicker-wetter "we need 6-7 signings" post.

7 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

At most you'd have watched brief highlights of teams last season. That is hardly useful research and most teams will be changing part or all of their midfields.

It was just a standard, knicker-wetter "we need 6-7 signings" post.

I've watched full games involving Queens Park 4 times, Airdrie twice. East Fife twice,  Dumbarton and Peterhead.  I have also seen many of the midfielders in this league previously.

I'll stick with my view that our current midfield is not going to be good enough without bringing in better quality.  

I can assure you I'm not ''knicker wetting'' either, it's an opinion and reading my post back and don't see anything other than that.  I have a hell of a lot bigger things going on in my life that puts DAFC quite low down my list of things to ''wet my knickers'' about.

We need a good few bodies in still. 6-7 is just obviously estimates. I don't know how much exactly will be signed, but around that will probably be about right. A goalkeeper, couple defenders, and a few midfielders. These are absolute musts that we have to sign. We have a midfield that will get totally bodied in this league. 

2 minutes ago, par-adise said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62030282

Puts things into perspective.

Peterhead are part-time and play in the middle of nowhere right up the north of Scotland. Who would want to play for them, unless they can afford very good wages? Plenty of the Lowland League clubs will be better options for players. You're going to start to see these teams fall out the league eventually in the future as the Lowland League clubs become far better options for the best players looking to play part time football. Hamilton, on the other hand, have been punching well above their weight for many years and are starting to see the McArthur/McCarthy fallout disintegrate. How many season tickets do they get? It can't be better than many teams in this league Christ. It puts things in to perspective as a whole, but we most certainly should be looking to sign decent players that can get us promoted and compete in the Championship. AJ managed that very comfortably. 

We are very much fishing in the same pool as Hamilton at the moment, i.e. the dregs of full timers and loans from the premiership. If you're suggesting we are somehow above them then that is just hubris.

Plus we are also competing with careers out with football. If wages are falling at the same time as more money is being pumped into part time leagues there will be more opportunity to drop part-time and still get a decent supplement to your earnings from football.  

Also the last line from Rankin is suggesting players just don't really care about the cup games, and are happy to wait it out to get the best deal in time for the league starting. 

It puts into perspective the macro situation we are operating in. Basically we just need to be patient but I'm sure we will be adding numbers when we can.

Two points there really. The cup is farcical and far too early to start. Most seasons squads are still being formed and players signed when it starts. Absolute joke of a cup now.

Also we are not fishing in the same pool as Peterhead. Hamilton yes but I'd be expecting us to be planning a bit longer term than just this season and hopefully we are after future championship level younger players from league 1 as well as some Championship and even Prem cast offs.

It's our first season down here and so we could still attract a decent player depending on whether the budget for wages etc is there to compete with bottom end Championship clubs.

No one suggested we were fishing in the same pool as Peterhead.

Sadly I agree with you in terms of the cup. Enjoyed the format when it was introduced but I think it's run it's course. I think there's still scope to keep some sort of group stage but to move at least some of the games into the autumn, preferably at the expense of the challenge cup.

Peterhead are seeing the effect of Cove Rangers in the SPFL now too IMO.   There's no way guys released from Aberdeen (youth and seniors guys like Considine and Logan) will sign for them when Cove are an option.  Logan will be minted through his plumbing business so could easily have taken a small salary at Peterhead if Cove weren't around.  

1 hour ago, par-adise said:

No one suggested we were fishing in the same pool as Peterhead.

Sadly I agree with you in terms of the cup. Enjoyed the format when it was introduced but I think it's run it's course. I think there's still scope to keep some sort of group stage but to move at least some of the games into the autumn, preferably at the expense of the challenge cup.

If anything, group the start of the Challenge Cup.