Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, 101 said:

One of the Twitter accounts said the match announcer said Shea Reilly. But I have had a look at all the Shea's on TransferMarket and can't see anyone by that name so unless it's another kid or the announcer had it wrong.

Ché Reilly, apparently. St. Columbas' own

Barring some loan signings and Dorrans getting fully fit, I wouldn't be surprised if that starting line-up is how we start vs Alloa on 30th July.

Well, I really hope that isn’t true!

9 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

There be another centre back, wide option and I think an AM. McPake mentioned how we don't have many options a AM. Competition for GK spot too.

I can’t see how we get through the season without 6 or so extra bodies.  

There’s time to get deals done and I’m sure mcpake is working on it but ideally we’ll see a couple of more bodies in the next week or two allowing them to be better settled in the squad for the league cup groups starting. 

Edited by parsforlife

10 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I can’t see how we get through the season without 6 or so extra bodies.  

There’s time to get deals done and I’m sure mcpake is working on it but ideally we’ll see a couple of more bodies in the next week or two allowing them to be better settled in the squad for the league cup groups starting. 

Looks like the young guys are in the first team to play, so I would doubt that 6 more folk will be coming in. Add Dorrans into the squad today and it is obvious a bit too heavy and clearly having a sub goalkeeper who has never played a senior game isn't great but I think we are closer to being done than that many more folk coming in. Just hope the young guys are up to it and we don't ruin their progression by chucking them in to early.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Looks like the young guys are in the first team to play, so I would doubt that 6 more folk will be coming in. Add Dorrans into the squad today and it is obvious a bit too heavy and clearly having a sub goalkeeper who has never played a senior game isn't great but I think we are closer to being done than that many more folk coming in. Just hope the young guys are up to it and we don't ruin their progression by chucking them in to early.

These young boys surely aren’t taking that much of the budget away?

If this is what we go with + 1 or 2 then we are hoping to see generational talent coming through,  that’s a massive risk.

We’ve just come through a season where our board took a few mental gambles that failed badly,  surely now isn’t the time to make another one?

25 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

These young boys surely aren’t taking that much of the budget away?

If this is what we go with + 1 or 2 then we are hoping to see generational talent coming through,  that’s a massive risk.

We’ve just come through a season where our board took a few mental gambles that failed badly,  surely now isn’t the time to make another one?

The 16 year olds will get a chance if good enough but McPake is not going to build his squad around them. I'm certain 4-5 pros will sign by the start of the season.

Edited by Chubbychops

What I got from McPake’s comments at the supporter evening was that we’re definitely actively looking for new players. However, in the meantime, it’s up to everyone currently here to prove that they’re worth a start - regardless of age/experience. Anyone who doesn’t look like they’ll be part of the plans, we’ll try to loan them out/offload them.

Last year I thought we had an embarrassment of riches up front and that turned into a simple embarrassment. 

It's the same forwards, so far, this pre season....wonder what it'll be. 

3 hours ago, DAFC. said:

I'd personally like a new keeper, at least one more centre back, a couple of attacking midfielders and a couple of wingers.

That being said, I'd much rather have young guys making up the squad than older jobbers making their way down the ladder.

Think it's fine bulking up the squad with the fairly established 18-20 year olds we have but the 16 year olds will not even be in the reconing right now. The 5 Fife elite boys are for the academy.

Edited by Chubbychops

4 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Think it's fine bulking up the squad with the fairly established 18-20 year olds we have but the 16 year olds will not even be in the reconing right now. The 5 Fife elite boys are for the academy.

To be fair to McPake, Finlay Robertson was a regular starter for us at 16 in his first season. If he thinks they're good enough, they'll certainly be getting game time.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

To be fair to McPake, Finlay Robertson was a regular starter for us at 16 in his first season. If he thinks they're good enough, they'll certainly be getting game time.

Yeah, he's said that about our latest batch of 16 year olds.

The five 16 year olds coming in from Fife Elite that are untried in professional football will not stop him signing th 4-5 players we need for the first team right now.

I'm talking about the posts above that think we are pretty much done with signings because five 16 year olds came in from Fife Elite.