Walking Down The Halbeath Road

It’s such a basic thing but managers can over-think stuff. If you look at our team that romped the seaside league last time out it was such a basic premise. Big BRE (looking for a club BTW) would flatten folk and take the ball off them, play a simple pass to Falky or Geggan. They’d release Moff or Cardle to scamper upfield and Faiss would finish it. Use the long pitch, make it easy for the players. Half the time our players look pish (eg Dow) as they’ve been hung out to dry by a manager asking the wrong things of them. 
I had this exact problem with PG really early on (after the Thistle scudding I think).

Look you've got the 2nd biggest budget in the league, go and assemble the 2nd best squad in the league, play a 442 and get on with it. It's not hard.

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s why I love DC. Maybe the neutrals don’t like it and I have to admit we had a spell where we were absolutely dreadful to watch (No Nicky Low or Nouble) but it’s simple stuff.

4-4-2. Defenders defend. Ball forward quickly. It’s the most enjoyable season I’ve ever had watching football (minus 6-8 weeks of shite) and under Sheerin we kept the ball for fun 

It treats the players with respect too and I’m sure you’ll have seen plenty of examples where your boys look fitter and stronger as they probably put in more effort in their one or two training sessions with DC than sone players might in four sessions with, for example, Peter Grant. 

That’s where the “looks like they’re not trying” thing often comes from. It’s not that a player isn’t trying during the match, it’s that they’re getting exposed/found out that the training isn’t right. 

It’s such a basic thing but managers can over-think stuff. If you look at our team that romped the seaside league last time out it was such a basic premise. Big BRE (looking for a club BTW) would flatten folk and take the ball off them, play a simple pass to Falky or Geggan. They’d release Moff or Cardle to scamper upfield and Faiss would finish it. Use the long pitch, make it easy for the players. Half the time our players look pish (eg Dow) as they’ve been hung out to dry by a manager asking the wrong things of them. 

It was one of the most frustrating of Peter Grant’s many, many faults. In his first interview he talked about getting players in and playing to their strengths, as opposed to forcing players into a system that they’re not used to. Three weeks later he’s got Dom Thomas in the middle of midfield and Aaron Comrie as one of 3 centre halves in a back 5.

I feel like Grant thought he could replicate managers like Mourinho or Sir Alex who could ask a player to play out of position to do one job. That’s the level of his arrogance. It also shows how easily he bullshitted his way into the job; he did none of the things he talked about.

57 minutes ago, Heaton said:

When are we accepting our position and moving this thread to league 1? emoji23.png

54 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

GTF day. Unsure when it is. 1st of June?

Aye, I was thinking the same here at QOS - about time we ate some humble pie ... sounds like a euphemism but I don't think it is ... 🤔

Was thinking GTF was 31st May, but don't know for sure, same difference.

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

GTF day. Unsure when it is. 1st of June?

6th I thought 

I will miss Dunfermline. Great away day. Great stadium. Good Fanbase on here and at ground / Gayf. I was convinced you’d click at some point but few dodgy decisions in there meant it wasn’t to be 

Thanks for the 12 points and 11 goals x 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

26 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

6th I thought 

I will miss Dunfermline. Great away day. Great stadium. Good Fanbase on here and at ground / Gayf. I was convinced you’d click at some point but few dodgy decisions in there meant it wasn’t to be 

Thanks for the 12 points and 10 goals x 

Brutal. 😂 😭

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Classic case of he’s got the ability just not the rest which means he cannot apply it in a match. Bet he’s good in training... 

I get the impression he's a fantatic training ground player.

Takes the ball down,  knows where his team mates are and usually hits the pass pretty accurately.   He just hasn't figured out why there's guys wearing a different shirt to his trying to stop him doing that in a match. 

7 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Kirk Broadfoot and Chris Burke join Charlie Adam in the list of auld codgers looking for a final playing gig. 

I'd say Griffiths, Christie Elliott, Liam Fontaine & Declan McDaid are more likely shouts.

Griffiths is done,  he's going to struggle to get a deal anywhere,  likely pops up at a non-league club for 6 months and never seen again, plus we already are sorted up front

We don't need full backs so that's elliot out, 

Fontaine probably fits the bill, we need centre backs and should be decent at this level.

Would take Mcdaid,  tho i believe mcpake used him as a wingback?   Would need to be coming in as a winger for us.

8 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

6th I thought 

Miss you too babe xx

10 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

6th I thought 

I done some amount of pubs at the away day earlier in the season, barely made a dent. 

6th I thought 

I went to all our home games and Arbroath were the best team I thought tbh. Nouble just absolutely took the piss. We were obviously shite, but you could just tell with him he was a step above.

That’s obviously not the be all and end all, a lot of teams got brilliant results against us. I think Arbroath’s problem for not winning automatic promotion was drawing too many games. That’s probably obvious. There were plenty games they drew and they aught to have won.

Good luck to Arbroath. Hopefully they can build on that season because the only was is down!