Walking Down The Halbeath Road

We were all taken in by Stephen Kenny and his cardigan at the fans QnA and he not only couldn't save us, but nearly took us to League One which is pretty unthink...erm.

McPake's recruitment has to be spot on. We're going to be fighting a lot of teams to names and I think we will need to build a team that works as a unit rather than sign some big names and hope they perform.

When it comes down to it, just fucking find a way to win games and get us back up.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Folk thought Peter Grant spoke well in his first interview. It's all rather meaningless. Will wait to see how recruitment goes.

Yep, likewise with John Hughes. 

They're just a bit of a nonsense, if we're winning no one cares about them, if we're losing then they're a stick to beat the manager with. Little bits of information are interesting, but there wasn't much to say or glean from it outwith the bit about his coaching staff. 

Good luck to him, get the recruitment right and people will start being more optimistic IMO, I just want to see a balance squad. 

Would love to see Stevie Lawless at Gayf. Great pals with Keaghan Jacobs by the look of it. And Gaston too. 31/32 years old, maybe a wee transition now on a good wage to set him up post football would be good for him

Think Dunfermline will keep him? 

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Would love to see Stevie Lawless at Gayf. Great pals with Keaghan Jacobs by the look of it. And Gaston too. 31/32 years old, maybe a wee transition now on a good wage to set him up post football would be good for him

I hope we don’t keep him. He looked completely finished.

2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I hope we don’t keep him. He looked completely finished.

Admittedly I only watched him against us, in the game away to Kilmarnock where you got beat 2-1 and in the televised games and highlights but I thought he looked very good. Maybe hard to see when you’re so invested in the team and the team are doing horrendous though I dunno 

Matty Todd being in training and McPake taking about improving the guys in afternoon sessions was was quite telling. To me it looked like we were way off the pace in the first few months of the season. Reminded me a wee bit of McIntyre. Tough, pragmatic. Hope he does really well. 

2 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Every coach says pretty much the same thing. "I like to play attacking football. We're going to outwork the other teams. We're at this level for a reason."

Bring back Bobby "if you want entertainment go to the cinema" Williamson to mix it up imo.

Ah, a classic from Williamson. He really was a miserable old hoor. Is he still in Uganda?

39 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I've tried to find out when his contract ends but there's no information around to indicate this. Wouldn't be disappointed to see him leave.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Ah, a classic from Williamson. He really was a miserable old hoor. Is he still in Uganda?

I've tried to find out when his contract ends but there's no information around to indicate this. Wouldn't be disappointed to see him leave.

Signed till the summer. Had a look last night. McPake will probably need a week to sort everything out 

Have him.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Signed till the summer. Had a look last night. McPake will probably need a week to sort everything out 

Take him then! Hopefully McPake can get as many of these players punted as possible.

Nah, apart from penalties, he was pretty ineffective. Will cost a fortune too. We signed individual names last season (Lawless, Dorrans, Ambrose, Polworth) who you'd reckon shouldn't be seeing off a team going down, but that's what happened. We need a totally clean slate and sign players that will work as a unit - akin to Arbroath in my opinion - instead of individuals that you assume should be too good for our level. 

Like said above. Lawless didnt really create or score goals. No point playing with wingers when one of them don't create anything. He looked tidy on the ball but really just passed the ball back into midfield after holding on to it for a bit.

No for me. If we are looking at a winger, I would want a winger with more pace and direct.

3 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’d be absolutely amazed if a manager like Dick Campbell who seems to value professionalism above all else signed Steven Lawless. 

I have just suggested it from absolutely nowhere to be fair. Just know he’s very close to Jacobs and Gaston and he’s a left winger coming to the end of his full time career who I thought looked very decent last season and someone that seems to have a pretty good career. 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I have just suggested it from absolutely nowhere to be fair. Just know he’s very close to Jacobs and Gaston and he’s a left winger coming to the end of his full time career who I thought looked very decent last season and someone that seems to have a pretty good career. 

Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a good player (although the last few years suggest he may have lost it) and as part of our 2012/13 squad I have a lot of time for him. I just think there’s a reasonable amount of evidence that he’s a fanny off the park, and I don’t think he’s the kind of guy Campbell would want at Arbroath.