Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Folk do realise that you are allowed to look outside of Scotland for a manager, yes?

You do realise we’re not some sort of massive catch paying life-changing wages? If St Mirren couldn’t afford to pay Oran Kearney enough for him to relocate from Belfast, I’m not convinced a Scottish league one side will be offering wages/job security that will have someone desperate to relocate here.

We’re on the brink of appointing our third manager in 12 months and are in the Scottish third tier. Recruiting a manager from out with Scotland would likely be a challenge. Not impossible, but certainly challenging. That’s before factoring in work permits and the issues that come with that, for anyone from out with the UK.

59 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

It’s not the most exciting appointment, but it’s about the best we realistically could have expected. Got to give him a chance, see what he does, who he brings in (in terms of coaches and players) and what he has learned from his time at Dundee.

His spell at Dundee wasn’t as disastrous as Murray’s spell at St Mirren. So who’s to say he can’t learn from his time there and become a good manager? Yes, he struggled last season and faced challenges at Dundee, but what young/inexperienced managers don’t face challenging spells?

Campbell said he doesn’t want to go full time (when asked about Arbroath in premiership), Petrie and Murray both already manage teams going for promotion at this level (Murray also got a better offer than us). Realistically, who else would we want? Kettlewell had 6 months as manager at County, once his co-manager left, and John Hughes came in to sort out his mess. No chance Jack Ross would take such a big step down either. It’s not a particularly appealing job. We’re a league one club that seem to have had a lot of issues on and off the park in the last 12 months.

I’m not buzzing for the new season after this or desperate to get back to East End. But I know that I will renew my season and am happy enough to get behind McPake and the team and see what happens this season. It may seem underwhelming, but I think that’s more indicative of how far we’ve fallen, than any lack of ambition.

Very good post which sums it up better than I could have done. 

Happy to give him every chance and hopefully gets us going in the right direction. If it goes tits up then I reserve my right to throw my toys out of the pram.

5 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

You do realise we’re not some sort of massive catch paying life-changing wages? If St Mirren couldn’t afford to pay Oran Kearney enough for him to relocate from Belfast, I’m not convinced a Scottish league one side will be offering wages/job security that will have someone desperate to relocate here.

We’re on the brink of appointing our third manager in 12 months and are in the Scottish third tier. Recruiting a manager from out with Scotland would likely be a challenge. Not impossible, but certainly challenging. That’s before factoring in work permits and the issues that come with that, for anyone from out with the UK.

No, I think we're a huge club who chuck out massive wages.

Folk from outwith Scotland definitely never apply for jobs in Scotland. There's definitely no examples of folk in England applying for jobs in Scottish football and getting one from last season either. Zero, none.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Folk do realise that you are allowed to look outside of Scotland for a manager, yes?

Let's be honest we would be fishing in the lower end of the English National League, perhaps the mid table Welsh teams (who would pick Scottish L1 over European football) and some of the Northern Irish guys who want to leave N.I.

And then maybe some Irish league managers but their season isn't long underway. I don't think we are a massively attractive option especially considering we have gone through 3 managers in 12 months anyone seriously relocating would be thinking how long is it going to last.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Folk from outwith Scotland definitely never apply for jobs in Scotland. There's definitely no examples of folk in England applying for jobs in Scottish football and getting one from last season either. Zero, none.

I bet Mixu Paatalainen is still knocking about aswell. 

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Let's be honest we would be fishing in the lower end of the English National League, perhaps the mid table Welsh teams (who would pick Scottish L1 over European football) and some of the Northern Irish guys who want to leave N.I.

And then maybe some Irish league managers but their season isn't long underway. I don't think we are a massively attractive option especially considering we have gone through 3 managers in 12 months anyone seriously relocating would be thinking how long is it going to last.

So how did Ayr appoint Bullen?

Just now, Bairnardo said:

I bet Mixu Paatalainen is still knocking about aswell. 

What's the point?

Anyway...

League Cup draw tomorrow! No more regionalisation and we are in Pot 2.

Pot 1
1 Ross County
2 Livingston
3 Hibernian
4 St Mirren
5 Aberdeen
6 St Johnstone
7 Dundee
8 Kilmarnock

Pot 2
9 Arbroath
10 Inverness Caledonian Thistle
11 Partick Thistle
12 Raith Rovers
13 Hamilton Academical
14 Morton
15 Ayr United
16 Dunfermline Athletic

Pot 3
17 Queen of the South
18 Cove Rangers
19 Airdrieonians
20 Montrose
21 Queen's Park
22 Alloa Athletic
23 Falkirk
24 Peterhead

Pot 4
25 Clyde
26 Dumbarton
27 East Fife
28 Kelty Hearts
29 Forfar Athletic
30 Annan Athletic
31 Edinburgh City
32 Stenhousemuir

Pot 5
33 Stranraer
34 Stirling Albion
35 Albion Rovers
36 Elgin City
37 Cowdenbeath
38 Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic
39 Fraserburgh 
40 Buckie Thistle

On 20/05/2022 at 18:55, Left Back said:

Watching the stuff about Dunfermline getting city status on the news and Mrs.  B asked where the nickname the Pars came from.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

I was under the impression it was the black and white being parallel lines 

A bit like this  Parallel/Pars ?

Blondie Parallel Lines Vinyl Record

We were one of the worst teams in the league last season and managed to get Lee Bullen to come up from Sheffield. It’s certainly possible to get managers that aren’t on the merry go round in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I didn’t say it was impossible, just pointed out some of the challenges. Outside of Rangers/Celtic, who do offer life changing wages, there aren’t many teams who attract managers from further afield. Obviously Hibs have just done it as well, but the difference in wages on offer and the attractiveness of the job compared to ours is enormous.

Some Scottish managers look to return back to Scotland/the UK to progress their coaching careers (Glass, Maloney etc), some non-Scots/non-British managers also see it as a platform to prove themselves and get a bigger move. Some managers just back themselves and like a challenge, so come to Scotland.

But you really can’t ignore that a club that have had major issues on and off the field and have been relegated to the third tier of Scottish football isn’t an attractive proposition for a manager, never mind one for them to relocate themselves and their family for. If nobody from outside Scotland applied, then why would we go out of our way to try and headhunt someone like that?

12 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Anyway...

Pot 1
1 Ross County
2 Livingston
3 Hibernian
4 St Mirren
5 Aberdeen
6 St Johnstone
7 Dundee
8 Kilmarnock

Pot 2
9 Arbroath
11 Partick Thistle
12 Raith Rovers
13 Hamilton Academical
14 Morton
15 Ayr United
16 Dunfermline Athletic

Pot 3
17 Queen of the South
18 Cove Rangers
19 Airdrieonians
20 Montrose
21 Queen's Park
22 Alloa Athletic
23 Falkirk
24 Peterhead

Pot 4
25 Clyde
26 Dumbarton
27 East Fife
28 Kelty Hearts
29 Forfar Athletic
30 Annan Athletic
31 Edinburgh City
32 Stenhousemuir

Pot 5
33 Stranraer
34 Stirling Albion
35 Albion Rovers
36 Elgin City
37 Cowdenbeath
39 Fraserburgh 
40 Buckie Thistle

Glad that they've punted regionalisation. Meant too many repetitive ties. As always, would like to see some good away trips (not midweek though!).

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

Ah I didn't realise you meant looking outwith Scotland for worse appointments.

Must have missed Ayr's relegation.

28 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Anyway...

Pot 1
1 Ross County
2 Livingston
3 Hibernian
4 St Mirren
5 Aberdeen
6 St Johnstone
7 Dundee
8 Kilmarnock

Pot 2
9 Arbroath
11 Partick Thistle
12 Raith Rovers
13 Hamilton Academical
14 Morton
15 Ayr United
16 Dunfermline Athletic

Pot 3
17 Queen of the South
18 Cove Rangers
19 Airdrieonians
20 Montrose
21 Queen's Park
22 Alloa Athletic
23 Falkirk
24 Peterhead

Pot 4
25 Clyde
26 Dumbarton
27 East Fife
28 Kelty Hearts
29 Forfar Athletic
30 Annan Athletic
31 Edinburgh City
32 Stenhousemuir

Pot 5
33 Stranraer
34 Stirling Albion
35 Albion Rovers
36 Elgin City
37 Cowdenbeath
39 Fraserburgh 
40 Buckie Thistle

Aberdeen (A) never seen us play there so would be nice to tick it off

Cove (A) again never been and would avoid a tie against a team in our league

Dumbarton (H) again not a team in our league

Fraserburgh/Cowdenbeath (H) either for something new or something nostalgic.

I don’t really understand the argument that someone from outwith Scotland with no managerial experience would be more exciting than a manager who got a side promoted from the championship last year. At the end of a season that we’ve seen Maloney and Glass come and completely fail, I don’t think that’s the sort of risk we need to be taking. But everyone’s entitled to their own opinions and if that’s what you’d prefer, fair enough.

Even Bullen, all he’s really achieved is his Ayr team not being as bad as Hughes’ Dunfermline. That being said, I hope he learns from this season and has a good career in management.

I can understand people wanting someone a bit different, but this thread just goes to show that no option available to us would have got everyone (or anyone?) particularly excited.

5 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I don’t really understand the argument that someone from outwith Scotland with no managerial experience would be more exciting than a manager who got a side promoted from the championship last year. At the end of a season that we’ve seen Maloney and Glass come and completely fail, I don’t think that’s the sort of risk we need to be taking. But everyone’s entitled to their own opinions and if that’s what you’d prefer, fair enough.

Even Bullen, all he’s really achieved is his Ayr team not being as bad as Hughes’ Dunfermline. That being said, I hope he learns from this season and has a good career in management.

I can understand people wanting someone a bit different, but this thread just goes to show that no option available to us would have got everyone (or anyone?) particularly excited.

Add Rennie to your list, which was in the same league we're trying to get out of.