Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Not the most exciting appointment we’ll make, but the list of potential candidates itself wasn’t all that exciting, barring Campbell, Petrie and Ross.

I hope the suspected clear-out of coaching staff brings us something different. Can’t say I’d be too enamoured with the prospect of Dorrans being a player/coach but it’ll be refreshing to have new faces in with different ideas than what we’ve had for the last couple of years.

Hope we see a lot of changes at the club now with Cook in and a ‘restructuring’ of the board. Change was needed and by all accounts we’re getting it, hope we start to see some news regarding contracts soon now and hopefully some exciting signings to follow.

He was out of his depth in the Premiership, but you can't deny that successfully navigating the play-offs to take us there in the first place was impressive.

He was a good Championship manager, so I'm sure he'll do well for you a league below and will have you challenging for the title.

Can't imagine anyone will be buzzing at the appointment of McPake tbh but he deserves a chance to show what he can do. It's a cheap option but maybe that's the best we can do in the current environment.

I hope he can find some of the magic AJ had in our L1 title year. If we struggle then he'll be under pressure very quickly indeed.

1 minute ago, The Master said:

He was out of his depth in the Premiership, but you can't deny that successfully navigating the play-offs to take us there in the first place was impressive.

He was a good Championship manager, so I'm sure he'll do well for you a league below and will have you challenging for the title.

23 wins out of 54 regular season matches sure doesn't sound like a "good" Championship record for a side like Dundee tbh.

Seem to remember most fans also wanted him sacked after a miserable home defeat vs Ayr in March last year.

It’s not the most exciting appointment, but it’s about the best we realistically could have expected. Got to give him a chance, see what he does, who he brings in (in terms of coaches and players) and what he has learned from his time at Dundee.

His spell at Dundee wasn’t as disastrous as Murray’s spell at St Mirren. So who’s to say he can’t learn from his time there and become a good manager? Yes, he struggled last season and faced challenges at Dundee, but what young/inexperienced managers don’t face challenging spells?

Campbell said he doesn’t want to go full time (when asked about Arbroath in premiership), Petrie and Murray both already manage teams going for promotion at this level (Murray also got a better offer than us). Realistically, who else would we want? Kettlewell had 6 months as manager at County, once his co-manager left, and John Hughes came in to sort out his mess. No chance Jack Ross would take such a big step down either. It’s not a particularly appealing job. We’re a league one club that seem to have had a lot of issues on and off the park in the last 12 months.

I’m not buzzing for the new season after this or desperate to get back to East End. But I know that I will renew my season and am happy enough to get behind McPake and the team and see what happens this season. It may seem underwhelming, but I think that’s more indicative of how far we’ve fallen, than any lack of ambition.

22 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

It’s not the most exciting appointment, but it’s about the best we realistically could have expected. Got to give him a chance, see what he does, who he brings in (in terms of coaches and players) and what he has learned from his time at Dundee.

His spell at Dundee wasn’t as disastrous as Murray’s spell at St Mirren. So who’s to say he can’t learn from his time there and become a good manager? Yes, he struggled last season and faced challenges at Dundee, but what young/inexperienced managers don’t face challenging spells?

Campbell said he doesn’t want to go full time (when asked about Arbroath in premiership), Petrie and Murray both already manage teams going for promotion at this level (Murray also got a better offer than us). Realistically, who else would we want? Kettlewell had 6 months as manager at County, once his co-manager left, and John Hughes came in to sort out his mess. No chance Jack Ross would take such a big step down either. It’s not a particularly appealing job. We’re a league one club that seem to have had a lot of issues on and off the park in the last 12 months.

I’m not buzzing for the new season after this or desperate to get back to East End. But I know that I will renew my season and am happy enough to get behind McPake and the team and see what happens this season. It may seem underwhelming, but I think that’s more indicative of how far we’ve fallen, than any lack of ambition.

Far too sensible.

McPake, if it's is him, had a 41% win record at a higher or much higher level so hopefully he can get us going early doors winning the playoffs is no mean feat, he wouldn't have been my number 1 choice but certainly edged ahead of some of the other duds that are always on the list.

Hopefully he will bring in a coaching staff to freshen the place up and reinvigorate the players being kept on.

He's the type of manager that would have been completely underwhelming in the championship but getting someone who's last job was 2 tiers above our current position seems to be a but of a win. Hopefully both him and the club can develop over the next few years.

54 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Far too level-headed sir.

Don't you realise that every hire or signing has to be brilliant or awful?!