Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, smpar said:

Bloody hell. How has nothing ever been done about this? Was there ever an investigation? How is he still getting jobs in football and the media with these allegations being made?

Because he’s a “proper football man”

28 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I'm sure there's an open goal episode with Si Ferry interviewing Michael Stewart when he was at Hibs and they were all away on pre season/holiday when Collins was there and the stuff about the six pack etc was mentioned. 

Just watched that after seeing the post from Shandon, and he goes into detail about stuff like going into his office and their physiques being criticised up and down. Obviously he was older than the likes of Thomson so I don't think it affected him the same way but I can definitely see how that kind of experience would mess you up. Wouldn't appreciate having been managed by Collins myself, I can say that.

1 hour ago, smpar said:

Bloody hell. How has nothing ever been done about this? Was there ever an investigation? How is he still getting jobs in football and the media with these allegations being made?

Scottish football is an old pals network where everyone protects each other from directors to coaches to players to journalists. It's usually minor annoying stuff but you can definitely see how it could lead to more sinister shit getting swept under the carpet.

Even simple things like hearing reporters interviewing Hughes on Saturday and they're calling him "Yogi" and "mate" - it's just so unprofessional.

Edited by Cardle is Magic

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Oh no joke. Scott Brown ended up going to the chairman and on Sportsound to complain/basically say the players had had enough of the manager but didn’t go into specific details in front of the press. 

I do recall Scott Brown doing this, was it not at East End after we'd just beat them 1-0, Phil McGuire header.

Just read it was the Scottish Cup Semi. 

Edited by The Toun Clock

John Hughes should not be allowed a 'chance'. He's had that already, with significant backing, and failed miserably. The fans made it quite clear what they thought of him at the end of the game on Saturday.

His signings have been mostly horrendous, so I shudder to think of who he'd bring in were he given a summer window. He cannot be trusted to remain and I think he'd steer us to mid table pish before his inevitable sacking in October were he to stay. Plenty of players will be reluctant to sign for such a moron as well.

Suggestions that he should stay are laughable. It simply can't happen. The club are already facing a massive task selling season tickets for next year (with the prices almost certainly not reducing), but keeping on a manager that a sizeable number of said season ticket holder customer base serenaded with chants of a 'please leave' basis will see comically small numbers buy them. The atmosphere would be absolute poison at games. The club would be hammered by fans for everything seen as wrong with very little patience and tolerance. The club would be accorded no leeway and the divide between it and the fans will quickly widen.

It cannot be Hughes. It's the wrong decision on every level and would be massively harmful.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Scottish football is an old pals network where everyone protects each other from directors to coaches to players to journalists. It's usually minor annoying stuff but you can definitely see how it could lead to more sinister shit getting swept under the carpet.

Even simple things like hearing reporters interviewing Hughes on Saturday and they're calling him "Yogi" and "mate" - it's just so unprofessional.

Just look at the Scottish Writers Story breaking today absolutely outrageous behaviour but being laughed off at the event as "good auld banter" poor that a handful of women left and the rest of the room just watched.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

More than 48 hours later and we've heard absolutely nothing from the club. Just a ramble from Hughes post-match and a Dorrans interview where he looked like he couldn't give the slightest f**k.

Tbf I'm quite happy for important decisions not be be made in the heat of the moment although that happiness will soon erode into the fear if he isn't away by the end of the week. 

Ideally we would have someone confirmed to lead us next season to start the rebuild. I think the group stages of the cup start in July and preseason is normally what 4/5 weeks?

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Tbf I'm quite happy for important decisions not be be made in the heat of the moment although that happiness will soon erode into the fear if he isn't away by the end of the week.

It very much is relative though. Lolkirk finally installing a manager who if I'm not mistaken has won promotion from the third tier more than anybody else is a statement of intent. Kelty will absolutely not be resting on their Cove emulation plan either.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

It very much is relative though. Lolkirk finally installing a manager who if I'm not mistaken has won promotion from the third tier more than anybody else is a statement of intent. Kelty will absolutely not be resting on their Cove emulation plan either.

Yeh needs to be a solid appointment with funds to build a competitive squad. Although I could see the price going up for a typical league 1 jobber as us Kelty, Falkirk and Queens scramble over anyone decent at this level.

Anyone who sponsored the P&B shirt give me a message I have went back through my bank statements and think I have got everyone but just incase I have missed anyone out.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Yeh needs to be a solid appointment with funds to build a competitive squad. Although I could see the price going up for a typical league 1 jobber as us Kelty, Falkirk and Queens scramble over anyone decent at this level.

“funds” is the key here. Falkirk came down, spent to acquire a moderately well regarded manager, and assembled a team of players that, on paper, threatened to lock up the league by March. It turned out much differently, with COVID as the final nail in the coffin. With that little lesson close at hand, how willing will the investors be to plow in funds with Kelty willing to spend, QP also willing to spend if not promoted, Airdrie looking quite strong unless Murray departs if they miss promotion, Falkirk with less funds but a proven manager, and QoS with a little money to spend rebuilding too.

If you keep Yogi, DAFC season ticket sales will likely suffer quite a bit, if you punt him, where do the funds come from…perhaps the next year’s team budget? The decline in average attendance from the Championship to League One is pretty significant, somewhere in the 66% less range, and that’s with a reasonable cushion from ST sales, something that DAFC aren’t assured of, even if you punt Yogi. Can the Board keep up a good budget for 2022-2023 with ticket sales revenue down at least 30%, if not a more realistic 50+%?

You also have to watch for the Falkirk style trap of the wrong appointment causing a train-wreck over the next couple of seasons, if you punt Yogi…but he could do the same by staying too. It also might be an open question if DAFC is a more attractive position than Raith right now, but I suspect Raith’s reported parsimony might allow DAFC to get their man first, IF a they decide to act soon, and do have a decent budget.

8 hours ago, Thumper said:

Hasn't McGlynn only won promotion from the 3rd tier, twice? 

The season where Raith beat Ayr to the tittle (2009 ish?) and the Covid one a few years back. 

I cba checking to see how the managers stack up but Allan Johnston is at least level. 

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

“funds” is the key here. Falkirk came down, spent to acquire a moderately well regarded manager, and assembled a team of players that, on paper, threatened to lock up the league by March. It turned out much differently, with COVID as the final nail in the coffin. With that little lesson close at hand, how willing will the investors be to plow in funds with Kelty willing to spend, QP also willing to spend if not promoted, Airdrie looking quite strong unless Murray departs if they miss promotion, Falkirk with less funds but a proven manager, and QoS with a little money to spend rebuilding too.

If you keep Yogi, DAFC season ticket sales will likely suffer quite a bit, if you punt him, where do the funds come from…perhaps the next year’s team budget? The decline in average attendance from the Championship to League One is pretty significant, somewhere in the 66% less range, and that’s with a reasonable cushion from ST sales, something that DAFC aren’t assured of, even if you punt Yogi. Can the Board keep up a good budget for 2022-2023 with ticket sales revenue down at least 30%, if not a more realistic 50+%?

You also have to watch for the Falkirk style trap of the wrong appointment causing a train-wreck over the next couple of seasons, if you punt Yogi…but he could do the same by staying too. It also might be an open question if DAFC is a more attractive position than Raith right now, but I suspect Raith’s reported parsimony might allow DAFC to get their man first, IF a they decide to act soon, and do have a decent budget.

I think you're spot on, well funded managers is no guarantee of success as no doubt Airdrie and Montrose have shown in L1 and Abroath and Inverness have shown in the championship.

I think you guys can take a bit more of a risk with your manager as has shown this season you can be absolutely useless for half the season and still beat the drop, so if you went for Berra or Brown and they turn out the be useless you could get someone else in and try and bounce out of trouble, however if they turn out to be decent then you could be on to coat tails of Dundee who I assume will be favourites.

If we f**k it up then it will be all to easy to become like Falkirk watching on at the top 4 race away from you with nothing you can do. Ian Murray is who would be my first choice, however I imagine he will also be high up Raiths wish list and probably on Dundee's radar and he would probably be more than happy to stay at Airdrie if they go up.

If we keep Yogi then I will fear for the worst mainly because he can't seem to get a tune out of the nest players, Wighton should be more than good enough to play on L1 but Yogi and him don't appear to get on. Yes the manager should be in charge but you can't have your ego ruining your chances as we have seen in the play offs.

17 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Hasn't McGlynn only won promotion from the 3rd tier, twice? 

The season where Raith beat Ayr to the tittle (2009 ish?) and the Covid one a few years back. 

I cba checking to see how the managers stack up but Allan Johnston is at least level. 

I’m honestly not convinced we’d have even “won” the league had Covid stopped things a week later than it did. We were up to Peterhead away, where we had an appalling record, Falkirk were due to play at home and we’re only a point behind.

Edited by Enigma