Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Does someone have a list of all the players under contract for next season? Sure I saw someone mention a few names a couple of weeks ago.

Todorov
Wighton
O’Hara
McCann
Allan
Todd
Dorrans
Chalmers
Breen
Edwards
Fenton
Comrie
Mehmet

Pybus and Cole have options of a further year.

Think half of that pile are needing told to go and find a new club, regardless what league we are in. Mehmet, Dorrans, Comrie, Breen, Chalmers, Todorov shouldn’t be here regardless what league we are in. Those out of contract can bolt too. Only ones I’d keep would be Donaldson and Jakub, and they are loans. Would possibly keep Pybus and Cole if we are in League 1: that should be their level. If we stay up, then they can bolt. Dom Thomas won’t be here regardless of what league we are in. He is definitely going. Just depends with some of these guys but the following can go regardless…

Lewis Martin - he is done at any sort of level. I think that injury has completely fucked him.

Ryan Dow, Steven Lawless - past it

Leon Jones - nowhere near good enough

Efe Ambrose - past it and a complete bombscare. Would be decent if he didn’t take unnecessary risks constantly.

Liam Polworth - no idea what he brings to a football team. Can spread passes about but anything else as a midfielders job, you’d be as well asking a traffic cone to be in there.

Bobby Kamwa - barely seen this boy and what he can offer, but it’s just another stab in the dark loan from a “big club down south” that hasn’t done anything.

Todorov- Not worked out- Release if possible
Wighton- Looked a good player last year, but doesn't fit the lone striker role employed by Hughes- Probably end up at Arbroath
O’Hara- Likely to stay regardless of division. Happy enough for him to stay
McCann- Certainly will say- Really needs to work of his finishing. Potential there
Allan- Not a fan to be honest- Defensive awareness is poor, physically weak and not even that young at 22. I wouldn't have given a new contract
Todd- Playing his best position at right back. Needs to improve defensively and his passing can be slack. Does a good job going forward. Still not convinced.
Dorrans- Big wage, that we don't get much return for. Hughes raves about him but another slow soft midfielder in my eyes. Need some energy in midfield.
Chalmers- Stuck with him unfortunately. His next move will be part time. Utter shocking signing.
Breen- Another poor signing. Looks heavy and slow. Maybe try ship him out on loan.
Edwards- Been very critical in the past but he has had some very good perfomances second half of this season. Happy to keep in at LB
Fenton- Never seen him. Heard some good thing though.
Comrie- Had a really poor season. I think he lost his confidence after being played at CB and not recovered. Maybe a pre-season can get him back to where he was.
Mehmet- He will hover around the club until his contract is up. Nobody will sign him.
Pybus-Pleasantly surprised. Would take that year option on him. Far better than the QOS fans told us.

Cole- Like Todorov, it's just not worked out. He will be away. Seen flashes of quality and I  would like to see him givem that AM role that the waste of a shirt Polwarth is stealing at the moment.

Out of the 15 players listed there, I would keep 7.

I'd ideally punt almost all of them if possible.

Would keep Wighton, O'Hara, Todd, Edwards and Comrie. Possibly keep McCann, perhaps loan him out. Would love to keep Thomas but he'll be gone.

Would like to see us sign Donaldson if possible. Wouldn't mind having Stolarczyk back.

Would love to see all of the rest get absolutely to f**k. Every single one of them.

Oh, and the manager to be punted too of course, taking the first team coaches with him.

Todorov- Think there's a player in there somewhere if we play two up. So with him and Wighton - who I rate quite highly - Id keep them if it was up to me but if Hughes is still in post I'm sure he'll try to move them both on. Todarov in particular is an odd one as he was one of the first players to do an interview after Hughes was appointed and was saying about how positive things were and how much he was looking forward to working with him.

O’Hara- Happy enough for him to stay but I'm not sure where his best position is. Doesn't have a great touch and can miss some sitters so if he and McCann- and he will certainly stay- are our striking options we're going to struggle next season regardless of which league we're in.

Allan- Not sure what to make of him. There seemed to be a lot of positive noises about him and Todd but it's the only latter who has impressed recently and even then it has been at right back. Still not convinced by either but at least they are young players who can improve and won't be on big wages. We can probably add Fenton to this group. Think I've seen him once maybe in a frindly or BetFred game but seemingly has potential.

Which brings us to Dorrans and 
Chalmers - Two players who I wasn't delighted to have signed although at least with the former there was the potential that he could use his experience to keep things neat and tidy in the middle. Not looked good in a deeper role, lacks the legs to play centrally and has only sparingly been used further forward where he's been OK. Charmers slows things down which can be fine but not when we aren't dominating possession or a goal or two up. Can't believe we paid a fee for him.

Breen - At Queens he seemee a decent if not brilliant centre half and maybe it is just because we've had so many centre halves but to me he's a very average player. Not as good as Gaspuitis or Donaldson, not as bad as Graham or Jones. Probably worth keeping ad a 3rd/4th centre back but we could surely get someone better?

Edwards and Comrie - What a difference a year makes. Edwards looked decent but not great while Comrie looked like the best right back we've had for ages. Now Edwards looks like one of the first names on the teamsheet and Comrie is another one who has been ruined by Peter Grant. Now been usurped by Matty Todd. Who knows if he'll get back to his previous levels. 

Mehmet- He I'm going to be controversial and say that I wouldn't mind him staying. Think he had a major confidence issue at the start of the season but looked solid when deputising for Jakub and if Neil Alexander stays on as coach he might he able to get back to some sort of form.

Pybus-Pleasantly surprised as well. Not a good footballer but if we play him as a blocker and a runner he's perfectly fine. Needs creative players beside him though as he's not going to chip in with many goals or assists.

Cole - Didn't understand why we signed him in the first place and doesn't seem to fit into either Grant or Highes systems. Might be a decent enough player but we can't afford to have players who don't fit in the starting XI and who can only contribute from the bench.

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

Todorov- Not worked out- Release if possible
Wighton- Looked a good player last year, but doesn't fit the lone striker role employed by Hughes- Probably end up at Arbroath
O’Hara- Likely to stay regardless of division. Happy enough for him to stay
McCann- Certainly will say- Really needs to work of his finishing. Potential there
Allan- Not a fan to be honest- Defensive awareness is poor, physically weak and not even that young at 22. I wouldn't have given a new contract
Todd- Playing his best position at right back. Needs to improve defensively and his passing can be slack. Does a good job going forward. Still not convinced.
Dorrans- Big wage, that we don't get much return for. Hughes raves about him but another slow soft midfielder in my eyes. Need some energy in midfield.
Chalmers- Stuck with him unfortunately. His next move will be part time. Utter shocking signing.
Breen- Another poor signing. Looks heavy and slow. Maybe try ship him out on loan.
Edwards- Been very critical in the past but he has had some very good perfomances second half of this season. Happy to keep in at LB
Fenton- Never seen him. Heard some good thing though.
Comrie- Had a really poor season. I think he lost his confidence after being played at CB and not recovered. Maybe a pre-season can get him back to where he was.
Mehmet- He will hover around the club until his contract is up. Nobody will sign him.
Pybus-Pleasantly surprised. Would take that year option on him. Far better than the QOS fans told us.

Cole- Like Todorov, it's just not worked out. He will be away. Seen flashes of quality and I  would like to see him givem that AM role that the waste of a shirt Polwarth is stealing at the moment.

Out of the 15 players listed there, I would keep 7.

Don think Wighton will end up at Arbroath

35 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

You'd punt everyone including Stephen's bridies. Shame on you.

Lies. I had one last week and it was great. Hopefully will have one on Saturday too.

I'd punt you though, you chodbin.

Wighton in league 1 would be decent. Dare I say even Mehmet would be okay for league 1, I actually thought he looked okay when Jakub was on International duty.

Shame about Martin next year would be a testimonial year for him I think.

Comrie has, by his standards, had a ropey season (in the ropiest of ropey seasons this club may ever have had) and he's getting fired out of a cannon? Nut, no for me. 

I'm all for shifting on the shite but this all has to be taken into context of an awful season with two poor/criminally shite managers. 

With my midweek, dust settled from the weekend dross hat on. The players I cannot find an argument for keeping are Chalmers, Ambrose, Mehmet (wages) and Jones.  

Dom, Wighton and Todorov will leave of their own accord, I believe. 

The rest CAN be molded into something decent by a competent, dare I say modern, manager. 

Comrie any good? Always struck me as a standard championship RB. Nothing special. We’ll be in the market for a right back if Tumilty is indeed away.

Edited by Enigma

Comrie any good? Always struck me as a standard championship RB. Nothing special. We’ll be in the market for a right back if Tumilty is indeed away.
He's under contract so £250k should do it.

Just now, Rob1885 said:
44 minutes ago, Enigma said:

He's under contract so £250k should do it.

Hopefully a relegation clause in there somewhere then…

Hopefully a relegation clause in there somewhere then…

Honestly, I’d be surprised if we were offering contracts with relegation contracts last year. I would say that you don’t say you’re going for the title, then offer contracts with relegation clauses. But then you also really shouldn’t say you’re going for the title, when you appoint Peter Grant as manager.

I’ll be disappointed if Yogi/any of his signings (Chalmers) didn’t have relegation clauses. Would show a real lack of foresight from the board. We were only 3 points from 6th when he was appointed, it’s not like he had an impossible task.

Regarding Comrie, if Hughes is still here you (or someone else) might get him fairly cheap. He’s moved Todd to RB. Also got MacDonald signed up for next season. I’d imagine we might want to cash in on/offload one of the RBs. MacDonald would be my preference, but Yogi doesn’t seem to rate Comrie. A decent manager in at the club would keep him, no questions asked.

One of Comrie/MacDonald will be moved on now Todd is being moulded in to a RB. MacDonald would be my choice but wouldn't be sad to see either go tbh. 

It's clear that our board get moist about managers that like passing football, as if it's something that excites fans. It's a complete falacy. 

Fans want attacking football, if that incorporates passing then fair enough. Scoring goals gets the fans going and Hughes vision doesn't deliver that.

What we've had under Hughes is needless passing in areas on the pitch that cause no harm. No dangerous balls from wide areas and numbers in the box. Not scored in our last 4 away games now. That's not bad luck.  It's because the front areas are totally neglected with Hughes tactics.

Get him out after the play-offs regardless. Another mouth piece like Grant that can't back his waffle with results.

I don't think Hughes can stay tbh, especially if/when we go down. Fans have begun to turn on him and very, very few come back from that.

He'll end up getting punted in October/November anyway so best idea would be to come to an agreement by end of May and get the new man in for start of pre-season.

On the players, if Chalmers never kicks a ball for us again then I'd be fine with that. Edwards and Todd work their hearts out, even if they're limited. Dorrans could lead us to Champions League and the support still wouldn't take to him, nor him to us. I love the Holy Goalie.