Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Looking back, what sane human on this planet would headhunt Peter fucking Grant for the managers job? Only a fool, so far out his depth could pull off such a disasterclass. So cheers Ross McArthur

The club’s articles of association were updated in September 2020 to say that DAFC GMBH have the final say over everything. They’ve had the majority of voting rights (and therefore no decisions can be made without their approval) since long before Grant was appointed. Grant’s interviews, he constantly talked about Thomas Meggle and his interview with him.

Was McArthur involved in the appointment of Grant? Yes. Was he responsible for it? No. Even if all the existing directors didn’t want Grant there, if the Germans did, he would have been appointed. Same is also true of the opposite. If they all wanted Campbell/Petrie and DAFC GMBH didn’t, then Campbell/Petrie would not be appointed. McArthur leaving doesn’t change the decision making on the board. I don’t know how many of the old board wanted Grant. But with both Grant and Hughes, the German investors held the majority of voting rights and therefore they made the decision to appoint them and also the decision to stick with Grant for so long.

7 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Reality is the Pars simply have to beat the drop. 
Go down and strong chance Kelty take the title again and if Falkirk remain they may actually get their sh1t together. Not forgetting QOS.
A second season in league one means budgets slashed and could be down for a while. 
It’s a shocking league in comparison to the Championship.

^^this^^

League One next season could be utter murder to get out of, Kelty throwing cash about, Falkirk might actually get it right, Alloa without Barry Ferguson and of course Queen of the South.   Throw in  two out of Airdrie, Montrose and cash rich Queens Park and it’s not a League the Pars want to be falling into. Tough to call the playoffs, the season we went down we were rank rotten and looked doomed but the Pars seem to play well one week and absolutely chronic the next.  

1 minute ago, San Starko Rover said:

^^this^^

League One next season could be utter murder to get out of, Kelty throwing cash about, Falkirk might actually get it right, Alloa without Barry Ferguson and of course Queen of the South.   Throw in  two out of Airdrie, Montrose and cash rich Queens Park and it’s not a League the Pars want to be falling into. Tough to call the playoffs, the season we went down we were rank rotten and looked doomed but the Pars seem to play well one week and absolutely chronic the next.  

I would be surprised if Pars were part time or hybrid full time/part time in 2/3 seasons.

Edited by Enigma

The club’s articles of association were updated in September 2020 to say that DAFC GMBH have the final say over everything. They’ve had the majority of voting rights (and therefore no decisions can be made without their approval) since long before Grant was appointed. Grant’s interviews, he constantly talked about Thomas Meggle and his interview with him.

Was McArthur involved in the appointment of Grant? Yes. Was he responsible for it? No. Even if all the existing directors didn’t want Grant there, if the Germans did, he would have been appointed. Same is also true of the opposite. If they all wanted Campbell/Petrie and DAFC GMBH didn’t, then Campbell/Petrie would not be appointed. McArthur leaving doesn’t change the decision making on the board. I don’t know how many of the old board wanted Grant. But with both Grant and Hughes, the German investors held the majority of voting rights and therefore they made the decision to appoint them and also the decision to stick with Grant for so long.
Having the majority doesn't necessarily mean they made the decision. They had only just come in and ink on the papers was still wet when Grant was appointed.

Also the fact none of them could be here would make me think they trusted the opinion of others at the club and yes, they went along with it as majority holders. I can't see them driving the appointment of Grant from Germany so soon after coming in.

3 minutes ago, Heaton said:

Having the majority doesn't necessarily mean they made the decision. They had only just come in and ink on the papers was still wet when Grant was appointed.

Also the fact none of them could be here would make me think they trusted the opinion of others at the club and yes, they went along with it as majority holders. I can't see them driving the appointment of Grant from Germany so soon after coming in.

Is this not half the problem with your new owners? Seems like they want the majority shareholding and want to build a shiny academy (does a league one club really need one of those?) and a training facility and take the credit for that but want none of the responsibility for the terrible decisions your club has made over the past year. Has anybody come out at the club and admitted they got things wrong?

Ross McArthur being chairman doesn’t mean he made the decision either though, does it? Both Grant and McArthur spoke about Meggle in particular being involved in the interview process. Then when Hughes was appointed, so did he. Given they had been involved for 8/9 months by the time Grant was appointed, I’d be very surprised if they weren’t actively involved in managerial recruitment. Are we all just forgetting about the fact that Grant talked about how, during the interview process, Thomas Meggle spoke about how impressed he was by Alloa when we beat them 4-1? To me, that suggests they played a significant role in that appointment. Or are we going to try and change history and claim that it was McArthur who said that and was entirely responsible for the appointment?

McArthur has made mistakes and even before DAFC GMBH came in, the footballing decisions had been poor. I’m not trying to deny or detract from that. I was just responding to someone suggesting that the entire Grant appointment was down to McArthur.

Ross McArthur being chairman doesn’t mean he made the decision either though, does it? Both Grant and McArthur spoke about Meggle in particular being involved in the interview process. Then when Hughes was appointed, so did he. Given they had been involved for 8/9 months by the time Grant was appointed, I’d be very surprised if they weren’t actively involved in managerial recruitment. Are we all just forgetting about the fact that Grant talked about how, during the interview process, Thomas Meggle spoke about how impressed he was by Alloa when we beat them 4-1? To me, that suggests they played a significant role in that appointment. Or are we going to try and change history and claim that it was McArthur who said that and was entirely responsible for the appointment?

McArthur has made mistakes and even before DAFC GMBH came in, the footballing decisions had been poor. I’m not trying to deny or detract from that. I was just responding to someone suggesting that the entire Grant appointment was down to McArthur.
I don't blame.McArthur alone either. I blame the old guard who would have heavily influenced it. But as you say, they definitely were involved in Hughes joining us and so maybe they are more to blame.

Change is needed for sure in how we appoint managers regardless of who it was. That's for sure.

Kevin Rutkiewicz was in hospitality after the game and chose his words carefully during his interview, basically saying the players lacked character and questioned their mentality in front of a big crowd.

I don't blame.McArthur alone either. I blame the old guard who would have heavily influenced it. But as you say, they definitely were involved in Hughes joining us and so maybe they are more to blame.

Change is needed for sure in how we appoint managers regardless of who it was. That's for sure.

100%, I agree with this. As I say, I don’t think McArthur’s tenure has been great from an ‘on field’ perspective - which is pretty important when judging a tenure at a football club. But he has done a lot off the field and, indeed, helped to get this investment.

To be clear, I think the entire board are culpable for this season and have gotten almost every footballing decision horrendously wrong. I constantly see people just blooming McArthur, which does frustrate me. He deserves criticism for many footballing decisions, but I just can’t see him being fully responsible for it this season. It’s likely that the Scottish based directors liked Grant, but McArthur and Grant both spoke about Meggle’s involvement there and his admiration of Alloa’s performance when we beat them 4-1, so they were involved - though, obviously not necessarily as heavily involved as they were with Hughes.

Appointing Grant, giving Grant so long, then appointing Hughes. They fell for Grant talking rubbish and not really knowing what he’s talking about. Then when they sacked him, they went for another manager who does the same. Changes need to be made at boardroom level and they certainly need to review their managerial appointment process - along with the fact our first team coaches stay when a manager leaves. That’s been a regular theme under McArthur though. Johnston (or whoever was to be appointed that summer) had to keep on Potter, who was actually the manager he was replacing. Honestly mental stuff.

43 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

^^this^^

Tier Shree could be some league next year

Everyone at the top, including McArthur, that considered Peter Fucking Grant as the man to take us forward are the most to blame. Not all on them, but that decision has been the catalyst to land us in this mess.

Hughes had plenty of time to turn this around, and we have barely came out the bottom two in his tenure. He is a buffoon who is needing drove out of Dunfermline when this is all done. His signings have all been complete duds/shitebags (except for Jakub and Donaldson) It’s a carbon copy of when he took the Wee Team down.

I assume there is no chance of Hughes being emptied before the play offs? A few of the senior Rovers players have since spoken out about how they considered going to the board before the play offs in our relegation season and asking that Hughes be removed and our reserve team manager, Craig Easton be put in charge for the play offs, such was the negative effect ‘Yogi’ was having on the morale and atmosphere around the club.

Ultimately, they never did it so we don’t know if it would have made a difference but I remember QOS binning Gary Naysmith after the last game of the season and bringing in Alan Johnston for the play offs and that paid off (in the short term at least).

Obviously I have no idea what feelings the Dunfermline squad have towards Hughes, they may all be fully behind him, but if it’s as negative as the Rovers, it wouldn’t be the worst idea to put Whittaker and Shields back in charge for the play offs. I appreciate the money may not be there to pay him off but if it was the difference between going down and staying up, it would certainly be worth it, League One looks like a nightmare next season.

I assume there is no chance of Hughes being emptied before the play offs? A few of the senior Rovers players have since spoken out about how they considered going to the board before the play offs in our relegation season and asking that Hughes be removed and our reserve team manager, Craig Easton be put in charge for the play offs, such was the negative effect ‘Yogi’ was having on the morale and atmosphere around the club.
Ultimately, they never did it so we don’t know if it would have made a difference but I remember QOS binning Gary Naysmith after the last game of the season and bringing in Alan Johnston for the play offs and that paid off (in the short term at least).
Obviously I have no idea what feelings the Dunfermline squad have towards Hughes, they may all be fully behind him, but if it’s as negative as the Rovers, it wouldn’t be the worst idea to put Whittaker and Shields back in charge for the play offs. I appreciate the money may not be there to pay him off but if it was the difference between going down and staying up, it would certainly be worth it, League One looks like a nightmare next season.
I think the main difference between your 2017 situation and ours was it was clear for all to see that Hughes had lost the dressing room at Raith (see that post match rant in Paisley, players voting Bobby Barr as POTY). There doesn't appear to be any signs of that with us (might well be the case but haven't seen or heard anything to suggest it).

Might not be the worst idea in the world but I can't see it.