Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I noticed that Stolarczyk rushes to punt the ball long from his hands whenever he got it. This is almost certainly a John Hughes directive, given that Hughes is a total long ball merchant and that it was completely ineffective every time, but if it isn't then I'd like to see him slow down a bit and have a look around. Quite a few times yesterday there were chances for him to throw or roll the ball out wide instead of just smashing it upfield.

I noticed that Stolarczyk rushes to punt the ball long from his hands whenever he got it. This is almost certainly a John Hughes directive, given that Hughes is a total long ball merchant and that it was completely ineffective every time, but if it isn't then I'd like to see him slow down a bit and have a look around. Quite a few times yesterday there were chances for him to throw or roll the ball out wide instead of just smashing it upfield.
His distribution was fine. 2nd half from a corner he caught it and threw it to DT who played in o'hara so can't see where you're going with this. Any excuse to crowbar a dig in at Yogi [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

My expectations were rock bottom but I felt Todd did fine honestly. Count me in the group baffled why Martin wasn’t playing ahead of him, though.
I’ve seen Killie three times this season and they’ve not impressed me at any stage. Tells you how poor the Championship is that they might still win the league.

They haven’t impressed us either [emoji18]

He was playing it quickly over the top late on for counter attacks.  Creating a few one on one battles we just lost out on. If either o’hara or lawless had managed to win their battle they’d be through on goal.   Nothing wrong with a quick kick out.  If Ederson does it he’s praised for quick thinking and great distribution.

When McCann was on he was a bit slower and was more likely to go short.

Aye, that's a weird take tbh. Quite a lot in the first half and part of the second, he was rolling it to Ambrose, Donaldson or Edwards. Not that it was effective or anything, but still. Then a few times in the second half he was throwing it longer looking for Thomas. And before becoming our manager, Yogi was most famous at EEP for instructing his keeper to keep playing it short when Livingston manager and going tonto at him when he launched it. Wouldn't say he's a long ball merchant at all, even if we often do end up playing that way.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Utter pish.

I actually don't mind McCann up there. The problem is not having anybody feeding off him. Dorrans in the AM role is a waste of a shirt. He's too ponderous. Get an AM with energy and legs to support the attack or get a second striker up there.

Edited by Chubbychops

I like McCann, but he’s probably reaching a stage where he’s maybe going to take a step back.  
There are too many occasions when we hit a long ball to him and there’s nobody anywhere near him, leaving him an impossible task.  

Yesterday once o’hara came on when we did hit it long it was done differently, instead of aiming for him directly it was aimed in behind,  it would be interesting to see if we could do that from the start. 

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I thought his distribution was a complete mixed bag of throws and kicks all of which seemed decent enough.

First half, Stolarczyk was really slow to get the ball away and kept playing it short to either Ambrose or Donaldson. Only times he played it long we’re when the likes of Lafferty were making sure they didn’t let him play it short/put the ball on the ground.

Second half, we definitely upped the tempo and the keeper played a big part in that. There were a few times he was throwing it to guys in space, which worked well and, particularly once O’Hara came on, he tried a few balls in behind for him to run onto. He had a few decent throws to guys in space - one in particular comes to mind where he through it to the right, where Todd (I think) ran onto the ball around the half way line in plenty of space.

We’re all entitled to our opinions, but I do feel like you’re ignoring the entire first half and probably about 50% of the times he got the ball in the second half, to suggest he rushes to punt the ball whenever he gets the ball. Even then, I’d argue that very few of these were aimless long balls.

I genuinely think that Stolarczyk’s distribution caused the Killie defence more problems than our midfielders’ passing/movement. That should be a much bigger concern than a keeper trying to hurry play up when we’re chasing a win late on.

Personally, I’d have been much more disappointed if the keeper was playing it short to the defenders late on. It was something we tried in the first half, but the Killie players were quick to put our defenders under pressure. Late on, that would have been kamikaze tactics.

Not a huge shock that a senior player who isn’t going to get a game has asked to leave. Leaves us without a coach and with no remotely adequate cover. I’d imagine there’s a good chance he wants to continue playing and Hughes has openly said that OFW was only in the plans as a coach.

Also, just seen there’s a pen emoji. Can only imagine it’s another experienced keeper.

Liam Polworth.

Happy enough with that. We’ve been lacking creativity and it’s someone that Hughes knows and has worked with before. As long as he takes Dorrans place in the starting 11 and isn’t another person who inexplicably keeps Thomas out of the team.

2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

As long as he takes Dorrans place

I think this might be wishful thinking. 

However John has pushed Dorrans forward and his legs really don't suit that role at all.

ETA sad to see Owain leave. Have to get a goalkeeping coach in now as I can't imagine Leicester would be that happy with their loan player not getting any real coaching.

Edited by 101