Walking Down The Halbeath Road

16 hours ago, par-adise said:

What's your take on it? I seem to remember him looking reasonably competent for you but Ayr fans are very much suggesting otherwise...

Been talked about in the ICT thread. He was good for us, clam and tidy in possession in central midfield for us after some horror shows after left back. He offered versatility as well and could be used as a left or right midfielder on either side of a 3 behind the striker. Some decent crosses but a lack of pace meant he wasn't really that effective for us there. CM was where he was best for us. 

Didn't seem to do anything of note for Ross County (another of their hilarious banter signings that, erm, hasn't worked for them alongside Donaldson and Tremarco) and at Ayr he didn't really stand out in the games against them this season but I guess that's his job really. Not to be flashy just to keep things ticking over in the middle of the park. However I feel you probably have that already with Pybus and Dorrans so it would seem that Hughes does intend to play him as a left midfielder. That will be interesting.

It is worth mentioning that when we signed Chalmers he was effectively our replacement for Mark Kerr on the pitch, who had been running our midfield for the last two years or so. He isn’t anything like a player who will dictate the game and his role is more to just keep possession rather than create anything. I really can’t see a midfield of Chalmers and Dorrans working as neither of them can run and they both kinda do the same thing.

I’m really glad we’ve got shot of him but it’s more to do with how much of our budget he was supposedly eating up so this should allow us to get another couple of players in.

Been talked about in the ICT thread. He was good for us, clam and tidy in possession in central midfield for us after some horror shows after left back. He offered versatility as well and could be used as a left or right midfielder on either side of a 3 behind the striker. Some decent crosses but a lack of pace meant he wasn't really that effective for us there. CM was where he was best for us. 

Didn't seem to do anything of note for Ross County (another of their hilarious banter signings that, erm, hasn't worked for them alongside Donaldson and Tremarco) and at Ayr he didn't really stand out in the games against them this season but I guess that's his job really. Not to be flashy just to keep things ticking over in the middle of the park. However I feel you probably have that already with Pybus and Dorrans so it would seem that Hughes does intend to play him as a left midfielder. That will be interesting.
Aye probably on the left side of the midfield 3 so still a centre mid of sorts.

35 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It is worth mentioning that when we signed Chalmers he was effectively our replacement for Mark Kerr on the pitch, who had been running our midfield for the last two years or so. He isn’t anything like a player who will dictate the game and his role is more to just keep possession rather than create anything. I really can’t see a midfield of Chalmers and Dorrans working as neither of them can run and they both kinda do the same thing.

I’m really glad we’ve got shot of him but it’s more to do with how much of our budget he was supposedly eating up so this should allow us to get another couple of players in.

Yeah fair assessment this.   He's certainly nowhere near as bad as a lot of Ayr fans will make out - its not as if youve taken a McGinty / Salkeld off our hands. 

He strikes me as someone who to be at his most effective needs someone alongside him to win the ball, then someone else to do the creating.  He will keep the ball moving between the two all day long. Unfortunately at Ayr we needed someone to win the ball and also be a playmaker and he was neither, and of course as the high earner/marquee signing type who wasn't doing much noticeable he was of course going to get stick.

Yeah fair assessment this.   He's certainly nowhere near as bad as a lot of Ayr fans will make out - its not as if youve taken a McGinty / Salkeld off our hands. 
He strikes me as someone who to be at his most effective needs someone alongside him to win the ball, then someone else to do the creating.  He will keep the ball moving between the two all day long. Unfortunately at Ayr we needed someone to win the ball and also be a playmaker and he was neither, and of course as the high earner/marquee signing type who wasn't doing much noticeable he was of course going to get stick.
Sounds just like Dorrans [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

1 hour ago, RiG said:

I certainly can't see Hughes playing him as any kind of winger/wide player, but as Rob says, he might have plans to play him as one of 3 central midfielders. Hasn't Hughes gone for a 4-1-4-1 (or similar) shape? If so, Chalmers might be one of those three players in the middle. We have Thomas, Dow and Lawless as wingers, surely Hughes hasn't signed Chalmers as a fourth. 

4 minutes ago, Hursty said:

That's where the 4-1-4-1 shape might come in. There's been a suggestion that Hughes might want Dorrans playing almost as a number 10, so we could have Chalmers in front of the back 4, with any two of Pybus, Todd and Dorrans in the middle, with Pybus as the ball winner, Chalmers to keep possession and Dorrans to create chances. I still don't see exactly what Todd offers in there but he's starting every week. Sounds like Allan needs to win his spot in the starting 11 again. 

5 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Maybe Dorrans if offski? They appear to be very similar types of player?

Can't see that tbh. Feel like he's destined for Kelty next season though. 

5 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

I would loan Todd and Allan out for the rest of the season. Wilson coming back and Chalmers signed. Cole making a claim for a spot now too. Then you have got Dorrans and Pybus.

That would make sense tbh get them some proper reliable game time preferably in L1 don't see the point of sending then to L2 again.

From the outside looking in Hughes could be looking to play Chalmers as the left centre back for you lot. He played there a few times for us when we had him on loan in his early days from Celtic before being converted into a centre midfielder. Just get that impression with Hughes talking about him playing diagonals and also mentioning it was more natural than having Lewis Martin on the left hand side.

12 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

From the outside looking in Hughes could be looking to play Chalmers as the left centre back for you lot. He played there a few times for us when we had him on loan in his early days from Celtic before being converted into a centre midfielder. Just get that impression with Hughes talking about him playing diagonals and also mentioning it was more natural than having Lewis Martin on the left hand side.

I thought that too. He played there for ICT a few times too. Lewis Martin is very good playing left centre back or or left back though. Think Yogi has some form of symmetry OCD.

Edited by Chubbychops

Number 6 almost looks like Paul Paton. Don't play with my feelings like that. Is 5 Lewis Martin? Can't tell who the boy to the right of Falkirk 14 is.

313D8008-0D3C-402E-8613-4787B5EDCECF.thumb.jpeg.fe1570c9ee5ba4367f9917c8f45b6a02.jpeg
Was posted on one of our fan facebook pages. Always interests me when it's our team with potential new faces so I thought I'd share the love.
Last seasons away kit is 100x brawer than the purple effort of this year likes.