Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 minute ago, forzapars said:

Find it funny to read Ayr fans saying he is both not good with his head and not good at free kicks.

His two goals for Ayr this season include a header (blame lack of good footage if this is indeed wrong), and a free kick. 

You won’t be laughing for long.

Find it funny to read Ayr fans saying he is both not good with his head and not good at free kicks.
His two goals for Ayr this season include a header (blame lack of good footage if this is indeed wrong), and a free kick. 

He hasn’t scored with his head I don’t think? He’s scored two goals I believe. A free kick against Rangers B (big whoop) and a goal from a corner against ICT. It wasn’t a header though it was just a tap in.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

He hasn’t scored with his head I don’t think? He’s scored two goals I believe. A free kick against Rangers B (big whoop) and a goal from a corner against ICT. It wasn’t a header though it was just a tap in.

Yep, and the free kick was subsequently deleted from the records.  Sums up his time at Ayr really.

11 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

“we are a bit short of lefties on that left hand side. “

That’s a very typical Yogi quote it seems. Before he came here, I had no idea he was so obsessed with left footed players.

“he has a habit of passing it to his own teammates.”

That’s another bizarre quote from Yogi. I mean, should that not be a given for literally any footballer - particularly a midfielder?

Hopefully the guy does well for us and ends up being that missing piece in midfield.

He also goes on about Lewis Martin being unnatural playing on the left CB position. Martin is better on the left than the right, quite worrying that he doesn't appear to know this.     Is he talking about Chalmers playing left centre back? 

He seems to be tormented about a time he played left CB as a player and continually brings this up. Very strange hang up.

Chalmers was a baller at this level for Inverness but absolutely rank rotten for us, a lot of the time it looked like his heart wasn't in it. 

To be granted he was signed by Kerr who got sacked about 6 months later and is the polar opposite type of player to the dark ages dinosaur football Duffy and Hopkin played. 

Reckon he'll either be a wonder signing for or non-existant, depends a lot on your playing style.

How do those two things work?! 

Just looking at the fact everyone knew we need to improve our midfield and we’ve finally signed someone. Yogi seems to have targeted a player he wanted and got him, so you’d expect that he should add something to the team that we’ve been missing. I also did a quick search and saw he was 6ft+, so thought he was maybe going to be a physical presence. Sounds like that assumption was maybe wrong though…

Hughes is an utter slaver and says nothing of worth.

We'll see how Chalmers works out. Hopefully well of course, but if he doesn't he can always go in to the family of business of school superintendents.

He also goes on about Lewis Martin being unnatural playing on the left CB position. Martin is better on the left than the right, quite worrying that he doesn't appear to know this.     Is he talking about Chalmers playing left centre back? 
He seems to be tormented about a time he played left CB as a player and continually brings this up. Very strange hang up.

Yeah, the quotes/interview make it seem like we’ve gone out and targeted a midfielder because he’s left footed.

As you say, Martin has always looked most comfortable on the left hand side of the defence, be that left CB or LB. I’d rather have a right footed that can defend/play football on that left hand side than a left footer that can’t. Martin’s left foot is actually alright as well, always had him down as being comfortable/fairly competent with both feet.

25 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

“he has a habit of passing it to his own teammates.”

That’s another bizarre quote from Yogi. I mean, should that not be a given for literally any footballer - particularly a midfielder?

To me that looked like a wee joke, just like when Dorrans had that good game and he kept the ball well he said something like "Dorrans had a shocker out there, he managed to misplace a pass'.

Plenty of things to say about Yogi and his bizarre thoughts but don't think that's particularly strange. 

Hughes is an utter slaver and says nothing of worth.
We'll see how Chalmers works out. Hopefully well of course, but if he doesn't he can always go in to the family of business of school superintendents.
Super Nintendos

3 hours ago, forzapars said:

You can take a look at the recent game when you scudded us 3-0 at EEP for a peep at Chalmers in the air. 

He certainly has not been the worst player at Ayr in the past 18 months, perhaps the biggest disappointment though. There's a pler in there, it's just unclear whether it's at this level anymore or in a good 5s team.

20 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

You can take a look at the recent game when you scudded us 3-0 at EEP for a peep at Chalmers in the air. 

He certainly has not been the worst player at Ayr in the past 18 months, perhaps the biggest disappointment though. There's a pler in there, it's just unclear whether it's at this level anymore or in a good 5s team.

I play in good 5's team, he wouldn't get near it!

Hughesalso says he has 3 trialisys playing today, one of which is purely to test his attitude, which assumes whoever it is is clearly a talent.

He also says this friendly is a chance for Lewis Martin and Paul Allan to demonstrate their abilities. Paul Allan’s started the last 5 games now and Martin’s played 90 minutes in 2 of the last 3 games. Then goes on about needing to be careful with Martin, that he isn’t playing too much.

On Saturday, Martin made a mistake that led to Duku getting the ball off him. Donaldson did well to put Duku under pressure on that occasion, but I thought Martin was pretty solid other than that and liked the look of the new CB partnership. Obviously Allan gave the ball away for the goal. But 2 mistakes surely shouldn’t mean that these guys have to prove themselves all over again in friendlies? Can maybe understand playing Allan, since he came off at HT. But if we go with a 3 in midfield, I’d be playing Chalmers, Dorrans and Cole - who will all need game time more than someone who’s been starting every week. Martin, if we need to be careful with him, should be kept as fresh as possible for Saturday.

Brilliant news that Dom Thomas is back training and will be involved. Also good news about Wilson being back, but I won’t get too excited until he’s actually fit - he’s been ‘back training’ so many times this season.

14 hours ago, rb123! said:

Chalmers was a baller at this level for Inverness but absolutely rank rotten for us, a lot of the time it looked like his heart wasn't in it. 

To be granted he was signed by Kerr who got sacked about 6 months later and is the polar opposite type of player to the dark ages dinosaur football Duffy and Hopkin played. 

Reckon he'll either be a wonder signing for or non-existant, depends a lot on your playing style.

The problem is that he’s not a difference maker, and he’ll be paid like one.  Chalmers was a bits and pieces player for County, but was never really a first choice.   You saw what he could do with a regular run at Inverness, but even then he wasn’t exactly a standout.   The ultimate meh signing.  But John Hughes knows what he’s doing, so he’ll no doubt have some level of effectiveness.

Official site mentions 3 trialists, the interview on YouTube mentions 2. Also says one is a ‘done deal’ we just need to see him in action and see what he’s like when he comes up here - potentially a signing from down south?

Official site also says that Thomas and Wilson will need another full week, plus another friendly before being included in a match day squad. Then the YouTube interview says if they come through this game unscathed then they might be in the squad on Saturday.