Walking Down The Halbeath Road

MacDonald was going to struggle for game time, but with Martin being a starter at CB, that leaves us with no cover at full back. Haven’t kept up much with other clubs business. Could this be a sign the boy Maxwell might come? Think we were linked with him.

Defensive cover is a necessity. Surely this is one that we put on hold until a replacement was sorted out. Otherwise, it would just be crazy.

Is this one of these “chuck him on loan until his contract is up” loans or just needing more game time?

Think MacDonald signed a 2 and a half year deal last January, so he’s here until next summer. Probably loaning him to league 1 just now, to see if he’s good enough to play for us at that level next year.

Think MacDonald signed a 2 and a half year deal last January, so he’s here until next summer. Probably loaning him to league 1 just now, to see if he’s good enough to play for us at that level next year.
I see what you did there

34 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

MacDonald was going to struggle for game time, but with Martin being a starter at CB, that leaves us with no cover at full back. Haven’t kept up much with other clubs business. Could this be a sign the boy Maxwell might come? Think we were linked with him.

Defensive cover is a necessity. Surely this is one that we put on hold until a replacement was sorted out. Otherwise, it would just be crazy.

We have Fenton who can cover left back. Perhaps Hughes thinks that he could cover right back as well if needed? Or we have Martin who can play left or right back, with Breen or Jones able to cover in the middle.

We have Fenton who can cover left back. Perhaps Hughes thinks that he could cover right back as well if needed? Or we have Martin who can play left or right back, with Breen or Jones able to cover in the middle.

I’d have thought that if Hughes thought Fenton was a better option as cover, he’d have been on the bench ahead of MacDonald. I genuinely don’t think we’d have sorted/agreed to this loan move if at least one defender coming in wasn’t close to being announced. Could be wrong though (wouldn’t be the first time), I’m just speculating.

In the past, I’ve noticed a trend of announcing a departure early afternoon, followed by an arrival late afternoon/evening. But Airdrie were maybe keen to get this announced and we may have to wait until tomorrow/later in the week for another club to agree to announce the arrival of someone at Dunfermline.

5 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I’d have thought that if Hughes thought Fenton was a better option as cover, he’d have been on the bench ahead of MacDonald. I genuinely don’t think we’d have sorted/agreed to this loan move if at least one defender coming in wasn’t close to being announced. Could be wrong though (wouldn’t be the first time), I’m just speculating.

In the past, I’ve noticed a trend of announcing a departure early afternoon, followed by an arrival late afternoon/evening. But Airdrie were maybe keen to get this announced and we may have to wait until tomorrow/later in the week for another club to agree to announce the arrival of someone at Dunfermline.

Our bench is thread bare and have rescheduled game with Clyde tomorrow so imagine management were keen to get this deal done asap.

At the start of the window, Hughes said that he had enough budget to bring in 2-3 players without getting rid of any. Since then we have done the following business.

In

Coll Donaldson, Lewis Martin and Steven Lawless

Out

Kai Kennedy, Ross Graham, Vytas Gaspuitis, Mark Connolly, Craig Wighton, Kyle MacDonald.

That must leave a budget for 3-4 decent wage packets.

Hopefully he gets those plates spinning a bit faster this week.

He's also said there are players in and they are taking a look but basically they aren't setting the heather alight. 

We are a club that deals in dregs at the minute, I dont think we'll get any quality in. 

I think Wilson and Thomas can strengthen us upon their return. Perhaps just enough to secure 9th. 

Thomas - Wilson - Dorrans/Pybus - Cole/Dow - Lawless 

Compared with..

Lawless -Todd - Pybus - Allan - Dow. 

Could be the difference. 

Wilson has never been near fit when he's played this season.

Thomas and Lawless will be about as good as it gets for wide players in this division. Just need somebody in the box to take the chances that will come.

The spine of the team is where I would want to see improvement. Keeper, central midfielder, central defender and an experienced target man would be great. Easier said than done though.