Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Another great day of Scottish Cup games yesterday. Wish we weren't so disgracefully shite in that tournament. Miss it.
Was actually counting our lucky stars we lost respectably last round. Was set up for us getting beat by a Kelty, Darvel, Auchinleck etc.

I wouldn’t be hugely surprised if someone bought McCann. One of these random, out of the blue deals. 

I know what you mean. If he scores another 3 or 4 before the end of the season you can see the likes of Hearts or Dundee United throwing a few quid for him.

Nah, f**k that, if we're playing one up front we should be expecting goal from him. If he's 'holding up play to bring others in to play' (which McCann doesn't do) then who is supposed to be on the end of crosses? He sometimes wins 'flick ons', but most of the time to no one because of how we play. Useless, pointless, ineffective caveman football.
McCann should not our first choice striker if we play one up front. May as well play Donaldson up there if all we want is someone to win aimless headers.

Yep. Flicking it on and holding up play is fine with a partner like Faiss, Kirk or Wallace playing beside/behind you, not when you’re a sole striker.

Christ. Falky still gets me stiff. Him and Geggan would be wonderful in our team right now.

5 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
Another great day of Scottish Cup games yesterday. Wish we weren't so disgracefully shite in that tournament. Miss it.

Was actually counting our lucky stars we lost respectably last round. Was set up for us getting beat by a Kelty, Darvel, Auchinleck etc.

Won’t have too long to wait..

I'd love to see the statistical evidence to support this theory that we score at will when shooting into the Norrie second half. The last time I can remember this being a "thing" was when Bert was in charge. Happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by da_no_1

I'd love to see the statistical evidence to support this theory that we score at will when shooting into the Norrie second half. The last time I can remember this being a "thing" was when Bert was in charge. Happy to be proved wrong.
I may have missed it but don't think anyone said we score at will 2nd half into the Norrie end. It's more about wanting to see your team win the game and score goals closer to you where you have a great view. I'm sure you know this though.

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
50 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

I may have missed it but don't think anyone said we score at will 2nd half into the Norrie end. It's more about wanting to see your team win the game and score goals closer to you where you have a great view. I'm sure you know this though.

Despite the hint of sarcasm in my post & your reply I would actually like to see some evidence either way. I sit in the Norrie & the last time the ball was "sooked into the net" was the late 90s. Most of the time the second half is torturous, looking at my watch wondering when we will create some sort of passage of play that will lead to an attempt on goal.

Despite the hint of sarcasm in my post & your reply I would actually like to see some evidence either way. I sit in the Norrie & the last time the ball was "sooked into the net" was the late 90s. Most of the time the second half is torturous, looking at my watch wondering when we will create some sort of passage of play that will lead to an attempt on goal.
got sooked into the net last saturday

3 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

I did a 3 season sample a while back and the difference was slightly towards more goals scored into the Norrie

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
3 hours ago, da_no_1 said:

But it's absolutely this. All about being closer to the action.

This starts a week today [emoji116]
Screenshot_20220121-163450.thumb.jpg.d221697f1f7ffaba9aa63018a27fd4c1.jpg

Great initiative. Eddie looks like he does a lot on this side of things, and although the club’s community engagement has left a lot to be desired recently, this has been a consistent feature.

One question, what would you say to critics of the ‘male only’ side of it. It’s good to see males being targeted for this kind of support group in recent months/years, but surely leaving it open to everyone wouldn’t risk males being heavily outnumbered (and therefore less willing to engage) since football is such a male-saturated sport? Is it more about having a space for guys who won’t/can’t necessarily open up to women?

Great stuff though, hope it takes off[emoji16]

This starts a week today [emoji116]
Screenshot_20220121-163450.thumb.jpg.d221697f1f7ffaba9aa63018a27fd4c1.jpg

Great initiative, credit to all involved. Hopefully it’s well received by the young guys and well attended. I’m too old myself, but good to see Eddie trying new things to help with everyone’s mental health. I’d imagine there’s a high percentage of guys that age are more likely to turn up for a game of football than attending the walk and talk events.

1 minute ago, smpar said:

Great initiative. Eddie looks like he does a lot on this side of things, and although the club’s community engagement has left a lot to be desired recently, this has been a consistent feature.

One question, what would you say to critics of the ‘male only’ side of it. It’s good to see males being targeted for this kind of support group in recent months/years, but surely leaving it open to everyone wouldn’t risk males being heavily outnumbered (and therefore less willing to engage) since football is such a male-saturated sport? Is it more about having a space for guys who won’t/can’t necessarily open up to women?

Great stuff though, hope it takes offemoji16.png

Eddie is an absolute gem for a club that has so many dedicated volunteers that keep so much stuff going Eddie is one of the best.

I would caveat my response with the fact I'm just going along and not involved at all. But I think you are more likely to get men to open up when it's a group of guys and male suicide is the biggest killer (under 50 I think?) It's worryingly a rising issue to young girls in particular and that needs nipping in the bud for sure.

I'm sure if a female equivalent had the necessary attendees then it would get support however you take a look round EEP and you see it would require a large proportion of the girls in that age group to attend to get the required numbers. There is also Eddie's excellent walk and talk events although a bit impractical if you work full time.

That said I turn 25 in July so at the end of the block of sessions it's my intention (although I haven't spoken to Eddie) to see if Eddie would consider getting involved or supporting me running a weekly football game for 25-35 for example.

We are lucky at this club that if you want something you can find folk to ask and 9 times out of ten would would be supported to give it a try!

3 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I’d imagine there’s a high percentage of guys that age are more likely to turn up for a game of football

Yeh I think so although, I'm a terrible footballer so may be advised to going walking instead :lol:

Back to football...

Macdonald to Airdrie is a bit of a strange one given he could play right across the back 4 although now Martin is back I guess he also has that attribute.

But you have to imagine Yogi is bringing in a defender of some description