Walking Down The Halbeath Road

30 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It (unfortunately) won't happen, but would like to see us appoint Calum Davidson in the summer.

No you don't.

We've had the same issues for 18 months and hes never come close to looking like hes figured them out, while simultaneously being unable to identify new players or adapt to those he has.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

No you don't.

We've had the same issues for 18 months and hes never come close to looking like hes figured them out, while simultaneously being unable to identify new players or adapt to those he has.

Swap managers?

Totally agreed.

McCann also did OK and gave the defence a handful but Todorov surely offers us more? We need a bit more quality up there.

Thought McCann played fairly well - did last week too. Think he offers more mobility than Todorov and I think he links up play well. But we need wins, so not sure how much longer we can persist with a player who has only ever scored in one game as our striker?

Thought McCann and O’Hara looked like it might work as a pairing. One thing’s for sure with Wighton leaving - if we go with 2 up top at any point, O’Hara has to be one of them.

Referee’s performance didn’t help McCann today either. Caley’s defenders could have booted him in the head and he still wouldn’t have got a free kick for it. Ref wasn’t biased, just totally useless and the only thing he was consistent with was not giving any fouls on McCann. Referee enjoyed being the centre of attention, which isn’t a good trait for an official.

29 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Thought McCann played fairly well - did last week too. Think he offers more mobility than Todorov and I think he links up play well. But we need wins, so not sure how much longer we can persist with a player who has only ever scored in one game as our striker?

Thought McCann and O’Hara looked like it might work as a pairing. One thing’s for sure with Wighton leaving - if we go with 2 up top at any point, O’Hara has to be one of them.

Referee’s performance didn’t help McCann today either. Caley’s defenders could have booted him in the head and he still wouldn’t have got a free kick for it. Ref wasn’t biased, just totally useless and the only thing he was consistent with was not giving any fouls on McCann. Referee enjoyed being the centre of attention, which isn’t a good trait for an official.

He's scored in two games has he not? Although that is hardly better and really unsure what Hughes sees in him that makes him start before Wighton (before his loan) or O'Hara. 

Agree that O'Hara and McCann is definitely worth exploring more.

I never agree that refs want to be centre of attention. Actually think it's a (very silly) bandwagon thing to say. The ref booked Devine for clattering McCann first half. I just think refs get far too much scrutiny and that folk expect them to be 'consistent' from the point of view of what fans see, when the truth is that refs are consistent, but from what they see (which is often from a poorer angle, sometimes obscured by players) and based on decisions they have to make in seconds. Refs get things wrong, but the alternative is utter shite like VAR. I think we have the balance ok in Scotland (except in games involving two particular teams, which VAR won't solve). Refs don't costs teams games. 

Edited by DA Baracus

He's scored in two games has he not?

I thought it was just Ayr at home? ICT away Devine scored an OG that was strangely credited to McCann by BBC initially.

Fair enough regarding the ref. I just felt like there were a few times he made a big deal of letting players run away, calling them back and making a big deal about booking them, then moving to where the free kick had to be taken to make the note of the booking, before taking his time getting into position. During the end of HT fiasco, he was hanging about the corner of the pitch grinning at the abuse he was getting, rather than just staying in waiting for his linesman. There were other things that seemed like attention seeking, rather than just poor refereeing, but they were the main times I questioned why he was drawing so much attention to himself.

Not disagreeing with the bookings or major decisions. But he ignored a few head knocks and bizarrely allowed Broadfoot play for about the last 25 mins of the second half carrying some sort of cloth wiping the blood gushing from the wound on his head. That’s honestly horrendous refereeing, no excuse for that sort of negligence at all. ICT staff also should have been much more sensible, but the ref needs to make sure he isn’t on the park until his wound has been sealed. When McCann had a head knock, Ridgers was shouting for attention and the ref ignored him. When Broadfoot initially needed treatment, he was shouting at the ref, who kept ignoring him and almost allowed play to restart after the ball went out, rather than stopping the play. I can’t agree that’s your standard ‘not got a good view’ type of error. Referees should be taking head knocks seriously.

I thought it was just Ayr at home? ICT away Devine scored an OG that was strangely credited to McCann by BBC initially.

Fair enough regarding the ref. I just felt like there were a few times he made a big deal of letting players run away, calling them back and making a big deal about booking them, then moving to where the free kick had to be taken to make the note of the booking, before taking his time getting into position. During the end of HT fiasco, he was hanging about the corner of the pitch grinning at the abuse he was getting, rather than just staying in waiting for his linesman. There were other things that seemed like attention seeking, rather than just poor refereeing, but they were the main times I questioned why he was drawing so much attention to himself.

Not disagreeing with the bookings or major decisions. But he ignored a few head knocks and bizarrely allowed Broadfoot play for about the last 25 mins of the second half carrying some sort of cloth wiping the blood gushing from the wound on his head. That’s honestly horrendous refereeing, no excuse for that sort of negligence at all. ICT staff also should have been much more sensible, but the ref needs to make sure he isn’t on the park until his wound has been sealed. When McCann had a head knock, Ridgers was shouting for attention and the ref ignored him. When Broadfoot initially needed treatment, he was shouting at the ref, who kept ignoring him and almost allowed play to restart after the ball went out, rather than stopping the play. I can’t agree that’s your standard ‘not got a good view’ type of error. Referees should be taking head knocks seriously.
Scored against queen of the South.

7 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

All of this and letting McCann lie on the floor waiting for play to stop and then stopping the play for a sore knee is just infuriating.

Also half the time he was being anal about where freekicks and throw-ins were taken and then letting folk do what they want. 

He booked McCann for dissent a couple of Inverness players went mental and he did nothing.

As for Carson basically rugby tackling to stop the ball going back to the center circle after the penalty. That had to be a second yellow. 

Scored against queen of the South.

Had forgotten about that. Still, my point on that stands. Can’t go much longer, persisting with a striker who isn’t scoring regularly - particularly when players around him aren’t exactly scoring either.

As I say, much improved performance from the whole team in the second half today. Not wanting to be too critical. Keep that up and we should do ok. If McCann can add more regular goals, he will be a very good striker. I like the rest of his game, he’s improved a lot since Yogi came in, but we need goals.

I know it'll annoy some, but McCann isn't in the team to score goals,  think of him like Bayne or Moffat,(and without wanting to disgrace the legend) even Brewster.  He's getting game time to hold the ball high up and bring others into play.  He's done quite well at that,  we'll need others to provide the goals tho.

As for the Ref, he rarely gets games at this level and it showed, The SFA sent him an experienced linesman to help him out but it seemed he ended up relying on him rather than just a supportive colleague.  He didn't have control of the game and the amount of 2nd half yellows is a symptom of a ref losing control and trying to rein things back in.  Too many incidences that whilst on there own could be argued didn't line up with previous decisions.

Must be a first I've seen a ref turn up 5 minutes late for the 2nd half as well. Such a bizarre thing to happen. 

I know it'll annoy some, but McCann isn't in the team to score goals,  think of him like Bayne or Moffat,(and without wanting to disgrace the legend) even Brewster.  He's getting game time to hold the ball high up and bring others into play.  He's done quite well at that,  we'll need others to provide the goals tho.

I do agree with this. Which is why I mention others not scoring goals. But there’s rarely other players in the box - so who’s supposed to be scoring/providing that goal threat? So many times we have the ball out wide/in the final third and we only have McCann in the box and this is what frustrates me most about our shape/system. McCann is there to be a target man, but there is nobody there to score the goals. It’s been the same since Yogi came in, but he keeps playing the same players, which would suggest everyone seems to be doing what’s expected of them?

McCann not scoring many is definitely only an issue because nobody else is. I’m fine with strikers who are there for their work in the build up play and flicking the ball on - McCann’s good at that. But we need the wingers to get further forward/into the box and/or a strike partner for McCann for that role to actually work effectively. I think O’Hara might offer that, but he clearly needs match sharpness - finishing/decision making was poor from him today.

We had one move in the second half that showed what we can do. We had some neat play on the right wing, then Lawless (I think) crossed it in, McCann headed it across the goal and O’Hara hit it at the keeper. That’s what we should be capable of. That’s using Lawless and McCann to their strengths and a match fit O’Hara knocks that in.

Nah, f**k that, if we're playing one up front we should be expecting goal from him. If he's 'holding up play to bring others in to play' (which McCann doesn't do) then who is supposed to be on the end of crosses? He sometimes wins 'flick ons', but most of the time to no one because of how we play. Useless, pointless, ineffective caveman football.

McCann should not our first choice striker if we play one up front. May as well play Donaldson up there if all we want is someone to win aimless headers.

One thing I noticed yesterday, was that we chose to change ends before the game. I was a bit surprised when we switched ends, then Inverness kicked off. I’m not sure I remember us choosing to shoot towards the Norrie in the first half before. But I’m wondering if it’s now what our players prefer?

I think we have started the game shooting towards the Norrie in the home wins against Ayr and Hamilton, so is this something we’re going to become more used to seeing? At half time, I feared it would backfire - when we’re behind, I tend to think we play better when we’re shooting towards our own fans. But in the Ayr and Hamilton games, we got a first half lead, which gave us something to hold onto and the fans encouraging/spurring on the defence in the second half is maybe something the players enjoyed.

11 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

One thing I noticed yesterday, was that we chose to change ends before the game. I was a bit surprised when we switched ends, then Inverness kicked off. I’m not sure I remember us choosing to shoot towards the Norrie in the first half before. But I’m wondering if it’s now what our players prefer?

I think we have started the game shooting towards the Norrie in the home wins against Ayr and Hamilton, so is this something we’re going to become more used to seeing? At half time, I feared it would backfire - when we’re behind, I tend to think we play better when we’re shooting towards our own fans. But in the Ayr and Hamilton games, we got a first half lead, which gave us something to hold onto and the fans encouraging/spurring on the defence in the second half is maybe something the players enjoyed.

Ah interesting I did notice that OFW had his towel and water with him for the toss rather than running back for it, but then wasn't paying that much attention as to who kicked off 😅

It wouldn't surprise me if Yogi was superstitious and now we have won we will do it for as long as we win the toss. But I tend to agree that I would rather shoot into our own fans for the second half.

25 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I think it’s an effort to try and start games better.  Didn’t work yesterday tho.