Walking Down The Halbeath Road

13 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

We're also not sending him to a direct rival, and if he scores against Morton, Ayr, Queen of the South etc. and frees up some wage budget to get someone in who will play as a lone striker (or someone of decent quality to play in the middle of the park) then it does make a wee bit more sense than the Vaughan one.

His (if he scores any) goals could still relegate you.

Does it not make more sense - if you're banking on him scoring goals - to keep and play him? Benefiting directly from his goals?
It's all a bit of a stretch getting those ducks in a row otherwise. 
Yes, but he wasn't playing, despite him being the best striker at the club.
He's probably one of the highest paid players at the club too, which isn't worth it if, for some mad reason, Yogi has no interest in playing him.

I'm not defending the decision btw, I think its mental. Realistically we needed to move on 1 of our strikers but Wighton was the last one it should have been.

27 minutes ago, Goldenface said:

Yes, but he wasn't playing, despite him being the best striker at the club.
He's probably one of the highest paid players at the club too, which isn't worth it if, for some mad reason, Yogi has no interest in playing him.

I'm not defending the decision btw, I think its mental. Realistically we needed to move on 1 of our strikers but Wighton was the last one it should have been.

Yep, the answer was to keep it simple for the Jan window. Play Gasputis right CH, someone beside him, bring 2 midfielders in and a wide player, 2 up top.

Instead more players have left than arrived and it's looking like a colossal f**k up from top to bottom.

Edited by pantene proV

Selling your better players for money and loaning your best striker out are very different. Sending your most talented striker out on loan when you’re struggling at the bottom of the league suggests some horrendous mismanagement of players.
I said a couple days ago that this had Lewis Vaughan vibes and you disagreed. We sent our most talented striker out on loan when we were struggling at (near) the bottom of the league. Granted, Wighton's not gone to a trapdoor rival but surely to christ he'd be better scoring goals for you (yes I know he doesnt currently get a game) than for some other mob. We were horrendously mismanaged at the time and you are now / have been all season. Both scenarios complete madness. Pretty strong vibes I'd say.

Thanks for Wighton.

Really have no idea what’s going on at East End Park. Feel really bad for you guys having such a bunch of incompetents ru(i)nning your club.

Like most of you, I thought punting Grant would be a turning point in your fortunes but it appears that the rot is too deep - once that losing, defeatist attitude/culture sets in, then it’s difficult to stop, never mind reverse - see Falkirk, Brechin, Partick, Cowdenbeath etc.

Even though we’re obviously delighted to see Wighton back I would be fecking raging if I was a Pars fan. Dunfermline should be fighting tooth and nail for every single goal and every single point but, nah let’s loan a guy who could actually help do this to a team in the same division.

Mental!

I'm not defending the decision either really, just saying it makes more sense than the Vaughan one. And if we can get in an Ian Ferguson/Martin Hardie type it might work out well. 

It's just Hughes being Hughes though. Gaspuitis played in his first game in charge, the 3-0 win v Ayr then in two games where we conceded one goal in each, Partick in the Cup and Hamilton in the league (which was a penalty that shouldn't have been). He then talked pish about "setting traps" and Breen was brought in and Gaspuitis bombed out. Since then we've conceded 3 to Queens, 3 to Arbroath and 5 to Morton. We did have the abandoned 1-1 at Killie and 0-0 with Raith but we haven't exactly tightened up.

He played Wighton from the start down at Rugby Park (playing in a front two against one of the better teams in the league when he doesn't against the poorer sides) and he was rewarded with a goal. Since then, nothing. Kennedy scored one and got two assists against Queens then wasn't seen again. There was talk of an injury but he was fit enough for the bench and to sign for Hamilton...

If you didn't know better you'd think it was Agent Hughes the Falkirk fan trying to ruin Fife football.

When Vaughan went to Dumbarton Rovers weren't struggling and were in fact nearer the top of the table where as Dumbarton were toiling nearer the bottom, could be wrong but I'm fairly sure we were about 10 or 12 points clear of them at that stage. If anything this move is the polar opposite.....but equally baffling.

I can understand a manager not fancying a player and wanting rid of them (Yogi has previous here, ask Bobby Barr) to free up a wage but realistically who is (a) available, (b) any better and willing to join the circus currently running at EEP?

Finding a prolific goalscorer is hard at the best of times, never mind when you're desperate.

When Vaughan went to Dumbarton Rovers weren't struggling and were in fact nearer the top of the table where as Dumbarton were toiling nearer the bottom, could be wrong but I'm fairly sure we were about 10 or 12 points clear of them at that stage. If anything this move is the polar opposite.....but equally baffling.
I can understand a manager not fancying a player and wanting rid of them (Yogi has previous here, ask Bobby Barr) to free up a wage but realistically who is (a) available, (b) any better and willing to join the circus currently running at EEP?
Finding a prolific goalscorer is hard at the best of times, never mind when you're desperate.
Time will tell but I don't think he'll be letting just Wighton go in order to get another forward. I'd imagine other areas of recruitment are more important. Now down to 3 strikers for 1 starting place.

5 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
45 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Time will tell but I don't think he'll be letting just Wighton go in order to get another forward. I'd imagine other areas of recruitment are more important. Now down to 3 strikers for 1 starting place.

I quite like Hughes but 1 striker especially in this league is fuckin grim. Especially when he came in the door with so much good firepower for this level 

If you're a striker looking for a move and Dunfermline come in for you. Looking at a bench with 3 strikers who rarely even get game time at the bottom of the league having been pumped off the next closest team 5-0 would really excite ya! 

I'll say we won't bring any players of note in. 

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Raith were only four points clear of Dumbarton at the time, this was the table.

886106309_SmartSelect_20220115-095148_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.ed7e87e69d6a9162b5f4bada1ebe85ff.jpg

You can look at that table and say that at the time it was more credible to view Raith as promotion playoff contenders with the game in hand and gap to 9th, but they were also seven games without a win at this point. I'm sure it was pretty widely commented on here at the time that the most insane thing about it was that Dumbarton were a potential relegation rival.

If Wighton wasn't going to get a game at Dunfermline anyway, letting him go to Arbroath where he might score goals against Ayr, Queen of the South and Morton is considerably less crazy than giving him directly to one of those relegation rivals. The ridiculous thing is him not getting a game in the first place while they f**k about with Lewis McCann.

Aye, the only similarities are that it's a player going on loan to a club in the same league. Arbroath picking up points through Wighton only stands to benefit Dunfermline (and of course, Arbroath). The Vaughan loan was met with widespread confusion. Even the Dumbarton fans felt it was insane to swap him for (at that point) a far worse player in Stevenson. It's an unusual move from Dunfermline given that they don't have a decent goalscorer, but Wighton has probably been unhappy with his game time and might have been told opportunities are limited. 

That reminder that St Mirren were rooted to the bottom like that gives you a wee boost that things can change pretty drastically in the second half of the season. Then again, you remember how fucking rotten this club is now from top to bottom and realise that any positive change is highly unlikely.

As shite as we’ve been all season, I’ve never been convinced that we’ll be relegated. I am now though, and anything but 3 points today means I won’t be convinced otherwise. We’re fucked.

33 minutes ago, smpar said:

That reminder that St Mirren were rooted to the bottom like that gives you a wee boost that things can change pretty drastically in the second half of the season. Then again, you remember how fucking rotten this club is now from top to bottom and realise that any positive change is highly unlikely.

As shite as we’ve been all season, I’ve never been convinced that we’ll be relegated. I am now though, and anything but 3 points today means I won’t be convinced otherwise. We’re fucked.

St Mirren were able to bring in a whole load of players whilst moving a whole load on. Think it was about 10 in and 10 out. A few of those were loans (in and out) too. Also, they were able to sell two of the outgoing ones and none of the ones coming in were for a fee.

They signed players throughout the month, although had three in and three out by this stage.

Sadly our situation is far too different to emulate them.

24 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

St Mirren were able to bring in a whole load of players whilst moving a whole load on. Think it was about 10 in and 10 out. A few of those were loans (in and out) too. Also, they were able to sell two of the outgoing ones and none of the ones coming in were for a fee.

They signed players throughout the month, although had three in and three out by this stage.

Sadly our situation is far too different to emulate them.

It also isn't as bad, points wise anyway. 

Dom Thomas coming back will help, hopefully. Get him on one wing, Lawless on the other and things don't look as bad.