Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Few people got a little carried away with 2 wins. Today a reminder we are still in the absolute shit and hoping to scramble enough points together that we avoid the bottom 2 is all we can look to achieve for the rest of the season. 

There is hope tho, not because we are any good, but because there's 4 other sides that are utterly dreadful and 30 points might be enough,  35 nearly certainty,  its a mental season but even tho we all deserve it,  we can't all go down.

31 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Giving him a bit too much credit there tbh.

Haha, aye, perhaps.

Guys like Cardle and Higgy were prone a dive, but they contributed massively to the team (especially the former; a genuine club legend). They also would have tried to play a ball across the area today, unlike Kennedy.

Kennedy seems to want to look to dive whenever he gets the ball, whereas Cardle and Higgy would at least try to find a pass/cross/shot before taking a tumble if they felt it necessary (and I was often critical of that).

Genuinely I'm not that bothered about the fact kai(or other players) dive.   Christ without McDougal diving we'd never have the Hardie free kick.  I'd like to see less of it in the game,  but when its accepted by referees and authorities we may as well play the game.  

Its that he does it too often and at completely inappropriate momments that I don't like

19 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Genuinely I'm not that bothered about the fact kai(or other players) dive.   Christ without McDougal diving we'd never have the Hardie free kick.  I'd like to see less of it in the game,  but when its accepted by referees and authorities we may as well play the game.  

Its that he does it too often and at completely inappropriate momments that I don't like

Very harsh on MacDougall there. Soft foul, yes, but not a dive.

Exaggerating contact and diving are different. I think as well, some players are good at buying fouls. Kennedy really isn’t, but keeps diving anyway. More often than not, Kennedy’s dives seem to happen when defenders/opponents aren’t even particularly close to him, but he makes it look so dramatic. It’s honestly just pathetic.

As mentioned above as well, if you’re going to try and buy a foul, there’s a time and place. When you’ve beat your man and have teammates waiting for a cutback is not that time or place. It’s just pathetic.

I have criticised the likes of Cardle and Higgy for dives before. But at least they would have tried to do something in that scenario, rather than just jumping in the air and throwing their arms out. There was another point in the first half, when he lost the ball, so went down and curled up into a ball. Hamilton picked it up and charged forward. Kennedy stayed on the ground until his teammates bailed him out and we got the ball, when he got up and ran about again. Truly pathetic. The guy doesn’t care and isn’t up for the fight/battle that we find ourselves in.

20 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Very harsh on MacDougall there. Soft foul, yes, but not a dive.

He dragged his back leg and took an exaggerated tumble.  Dive for me.

IMO a dive is whenever a player goes down when they could have stayed on their feet.  

Edited by parsforlife

10 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

He’ll be on a fair wage I’d reckon. Get him punted back to Sevco in January and use that money for someone that’ll play for the jersey.

Yeah, McGlynn mentioned at the start of the season that Kennedy had been a very, very expensive loan for us. I’d imagine you would have the wages saved for a really good player at this level by sending him back.

Yeah Kennedy had a couple of games for  us where he was pretty much unplayable. He’s clearly got ability and bags of potential. He was almost most useful for us as a decoy, in that teams would double up on him and allow our other attackers more space. However he’s cursed with that all too familiar Rangers youth player “Billy big time” attitude.

When you take into account the direction the club are trying to go and the way they want to run it, I think it’s important that Todd, Allen & McCann all get a good run in the side.

I’m not a massive fan of any of them but we need to establish that young players will get games at EEP. It can’t be a situation where they have 1 or 2 bad performances and then get punted into a cupboard. Give them every chance to succeed and see how they cope. Maybe they won’t be the level we need but that’s useful to know in itself.

I think it’s clear we will be trying to get busy in January on the recruitment side but equally important to shift deadweight like Kennedy, Cole, Mehmet & Graham. A decision to make on Todorov/Wighton too if Yogi is only playing one up top as they’re currently both 3rd choice at best.

At no point this season have I felt we’d be relegated. That’s possibly wishful thinking or sheer arrogance but I’ve always felt there will be at least 2/3 worse sides. Saturday’s display spooked me though and the injury to DT23 just compounds matters.

We need to look at what St Mirren did a few years back as inspiration. 

They managed to bin loads of duds in the winter window and bring a good few in to turn it round.

I hope there's some honest conversations with the likes of Cole and Mehmet and tell them there's no future at the club. The may hang on til the summer but St Mirren somehow managed to get rid of guys under contract when desperately needed.

This isn't a bring in 1 or 2 job here. We need a turn around of 4-5 at least.

We need  a new keeper,  a left back, two central midfielders and at least one winger. Then get rid of one of our keepers, Cole, Kennedy, Graham and Jones. 

Edited by Chubbychops

The big issue is that most of those guys are under contract, so it's not as easy and just punting them. There will be significant costs to pay them off and then sign new players. It would basically be paying for a huge squad. On top of that the club just paid Grant off.

In addition they had to replace the floodlights this season too at a big cost. 

On top of that, it has been mentioned by McArthur that season ticket sales are well down, and you only have to look at East End on matchdays to see that there aren't loads of walk ups. That sounds like they are behind on the budget for the season already.

The investor lads made clear they aren't here to chuck money at the playing budget, so I can't see where the money to punt a big load of players is coming from. Seems like we're stuck with them and will only be able to bring a limited number in in January, possibly just on loan.