Walking Down The Halbeath Road

4 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

A goalkeeper …  absolutely essential

Granted I've not seen much of Dunfermline this year but there's nothing wrong with having a keeper who doesn't come for crosses if yer defence is set up to deal with it appropriately. Andy Goram was glued to his line but it wasn't an issue as Gough, or whoever was alongside him, knew to get their head onto those crosses that other keepers may have taken. Dunfermline seem to have set themselves up for a keeper who will come out and claim crosses but then chose to play a keeper who doesn't. Having defenders who are unable or unwilling to get their napper on anything is more of an issue. 

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Shite ones, you mean? 

We all know he isn't shite. He'll go on to have a good career, but we can do without inexperienced players that skin 3 players then give the ball away constantly. In recent times we've had guys like Michael Paton, Willie Gibson et al play those sort of positions and that's what we need. 

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Granted I've not seen much of Dunfermline this year but there's nothing wrong with having a keeper who doesn't come for crosses if yer defence is set up to deal with it appropriately. Andy Goram was glued to his line but it wasn't an issue as Gough, or whoever was alongside him, knew to get their head onto those crosses that other keepers may have taken. Dunfermline seem to have set themselves up for a keeper who will come out and claim crosses but then chose to play a keeper who doesn't. Having defenders who are unable or unwilling to get their napper on anything is more of an issue. 

OFW will gift goals constantly. Nothing to do with coming for crosses. He is fucking torture, with hands made of communion bread. 

The Pars' biggest issue is that they have rubbish goalkeepers, terrible full-backs, no good holding midfielders, a bunch of flaky and/or overrated attacking midfielders, and of their three main forwards two of them have never really been goalscorers and the one who has been is out of form.

What is this analysis based on? Speak to anyone who’s followed this division over the past few years and they would acknowledge that Comrie is one of the best right backs at this level. As others have said, I’ll give you Edwards. He seems to improve for a couple of games, then regress to being very very poor again. He’s done this regularly for 2 years now and hasn’t progressed much - if at all.

I’m also not sure which of our 3 strikers have never been goal scorers. I genuinely don’t have a clue which one you’re classing as a goal scorer and what 2 you say never have been. Wighton scored a goal every 154 minutes last season and finished joint second top scorer in the league - in 19/20 he did well for Arbroath before covid hit and scored a goal every 150 minutes in this league. Todorov scored the same number as Wighton last season and was also joint second top scorer in the league, with a goal every 170 mins - he managed a goal every 122 in 19/20. O’Hara was one goal behind the other 2 last season and scored a goal every 175 mins, having managed a goal every 213 at Alloa in 19/20.

Whoever the 2 are that you claim have never been goal scorers have demonstrated an incredible mins/goal ratio at this level over the last 2 seasons. You’re normally very good with your analysis, so I’m a bit surprised by that comment, but I really can’t agree with the suggestion that players averaging a goal every 2 games over the last 2 seasons aren’t goal scorers.

I agree with you regarding the keepers and defensive midfielders (Wilson is good, but never fit). Wingers are inconsistent - I assume these are the guys you class as attacking midfielders. On their day, they have proven to be great at this level. However, they’re very poor more often than they’re good. Dow was consistent in the last couple of seasons, but has been so far off the pace since his knee injury. Thomas and Kennedy are luxury players, who have flashes of brilliance, but can’t sustain that level of performance and we’re not in a position where we can have 2 luxury players on the park at the same time. So, again, I agree with that comment about them. Lack of any real quality on the bench/for cover is an issue in every position as well - particularly given the starters in some positions aren’t even nearly good enough. We have no subs that can change the game in our favour. No game winners.

For me though, the biggest problem is a lack of leadership on the park. There’s not one player I see as a leader, who spurs on his teammates, organises the team, takes control of the defence/midfield/wherever they play. We have a bunch of players crying out for a leader to guide them. The defence in particular needs an organiser - like Euan Murray was for us. He never shut up and was constantly leading the defence and organising them. I feel like it’s a leader we need as a defensive midfielder too. Paul Paton wasn’t the best technical player, but he kept our midfield organised and motivated. Constantly shouting instructions to his teammates. I’d like to see some leaders brought in, players who possess these qualities that can’t be taught in training. We’re far too quiet as a team, there’s no communication and that leads to huge gaps, nobody picking up runners, people not knowing what’s going on behind them etc.

If OFW’s only issue was crosses that would be one thing but he often has pastry wrists and distribution is nothing to write home about.

Our situation is better than St Mirren’s because they were properly cut adrift and we’re absurdly only six points off Ayr in 6th. We still need a competent appointment though or it won’t matter how shite everyone else is.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

As has been mentioned though, to finish 8th you generally need 40 points. That means we need 33 from our remaining 23 games. That’s a tough task for anyone at this level. To be comfortably safe (as you and others have mentioned), we’d need at least 50 points, which would mean 43 points from the remaining 23 games. Only 2 teams (Killie and Inverness) have bettered the ppg total that we would need for that, so far. It’s just not even a reasonable suggestion.

There is absolutely no chance that we will be comfortable at any point this season, due to what has happened and the squad that we have. That’s the point I quoted and questioned. I’m not arguing that literally any other manager could have got us more points than Grant did. I genuinely believe that they would. I just can’t agree with anyone who thinks, from where we are now, we will be comfortably safe. It’s very very unlikely we will finish above 9th and that is in no way comfortably safe, given it would result in a play off. That’s the reality of the situation.

At the risk of over-simplifying things, I feel the need to point out that being bottom of a 10 team league means that at least 4 teams above you are getting points each week. In the championship, those clubs near the bottom do pick up points and anyone can beat anyone. That makes climbing the league a lot tougher than you’re making out.

I get where you are coming from and you will have a better idea having watched Dunfermline much more often than me and naturally as a fan who is much more invested in the outcome than myself you may be more pessimistic about the situation.

However, I do think the points totals can be a bit of a red herring. There’s a clear split between the top 5 and bottom 5 already and none of the bottom 5 look like stringing a run of results together at the moment, so it’s hard to predict points totals. None of the teams from 6th down are currently on course for 40 points.

The points total you’ve mentioned do look a huge mountain to climb but simplifying it, all you need to do is end up 6 points better off than 2 of Ayr, Hamilton, QOS and Morton over the next 23 games. I’d argue that isn’t a huge ask with a competent manager and as mentioned before a much larger budget than all of those sides in January to tweak the squad where necessary.

23 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

I get where you are coming from and you will have a better idea having watched Dunfermline much more often than me and naturally as a fan who is much more invested in the outcome than myself you may be more pessimistic about the situation.

However, I do think the points totals can be a bit of a red herring. There’s a clear split between the top 5 and bottom 5 already and none of the bottom 5 look like stringing a run of results together at the moment, so it’s hard to predict points totals. None of the teams from 6th down are currently on course for 40 points.

The points total you’ve mentioned do look a huge mountain to climb but simplifying it, all you need to do is end up 6 points better off than 2 of Ayr, Hamilton, QOS and Morton over the next 23 games. I’d argue that isn’t a huge ask with a competent manager and as mentioned before a much larger budget than all of those sides in January to tweak the squad where necessary.

By contrast, as I am sure you don't need reminding, St Mirren were 18 points behind Raith after 13 games that season

40 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I’m also not sure which of our 3 strikers have never been goal scorers. I genuinely don’t have a clue which one you’re classing as a goal scorer and what 2 you say never have been. Wighton scored a goal every 154 minutes last season and finished joint second top scorer in the league - in 19/20 he did well for Arbroath before covid hit and scored a goal every 150 minutes in this league. Todorov scored the same number as Wighton last season and was also joint second top scorer in the league, with a goal every 170 mins - he managed a goal every 122 in 19/20. O’Hara was one goal behind the other 2 last season and scored a goal every 175 mins, having managed a goal every 213 at Alloa in 19/20.

Whoever the 2 are that you claim have never been goal scorers have demonstrated an incredible mins/goal ratio at this level over the last 2 seasons. You’re normally very good with your analysis, so I’m a bit surprised by that comment, but I really can’t agree with the suggestion that players averaging a goal every 2 games over the last 2 seasons aren’t goal scorers.

You're outlining minutes per goal here for Wighton and Todorov, but in both cases they are over extremely small sample sizes. Neither of them has ever hit double figures in a league season in their career and neither of them would really have finishing down as one of their main strengths. Todorov is a good, if somewhat limited, targetman, and Wighton is an excellent technical player. I thought the latter was one of the best players on the park when we played you earlier in the season, but he did all his best work outside the box.

You're outlining minutes per goal here for Wighton and Todorov, but in both cases they are over extremely small sample sizes. Neither of them has ever hit double figures in a league season in their career and neither of them would really have finishing down as one of their main strengths. Todorov is a good, if somewhat limited, targetman, and Wighton is an excellent technical player. I thought the latter was one of the best players on the park when we played you earlier in the season, but he did all his best work outside the box.

Aye I’ve never really had Wighton down as a striker. More of maybe a number 10 or an inside forward playing on the left hand side where he can cut in on his right foot.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

We all know he isn't shite. He'll go on to have a good career, but we can do without inexperienced players that skin 3 players then give the ball away constantly. In recent times we've had guys like Michael Paton, Willie Gibson et al play those sort of positions and that's what we need. 

Genuinely thought he'd be a cracking signing. During the summer it looked like the Pars were putting together a squad capable of challenging for the title and Kennedy would fit in nicely.

He absolutely isn't cut out for a team that is battling at the other end of the league, though. Whilst talented, he is lightweight and as we found out last season can be marked out of games. If other attacking players in the team are misfiring or playing poorly, the extra resources to stifle him can be spared quite easily. Did think Dunfermline had the players to avoid that, but perhaps not as it's transpired. How much of this is down to poor management is however a different argument.

There's a fair bit of development required IMO for him to fulfil his potential. He's never going to bulk physically without serious detriment to his game, but he needs to learn how to better  throw off the close attention he gets by adapting his game when required. Whether that means dropping back more, coming further inside the pitch etc, he needs to find a way to stop his contributions being so effectively cancelled out. End product as you've highlighted needs to improve also.

If a new manager can come in and turn things round a bit, I think you'll see a benefit from Kennedy. If not, punt him back in January.

Still, next season we’ll see Falkirk, Joe Carrie, maybe Petrie, Big Nat. Plenty to enjoy about relegation. 

Along with the Super Joe and Higgy at Kelty Hearts. Going to be some laugh battling for play off spots with Falkirk, while Kelty romp the league.

Just realised you meant Cardle.

2 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

Along with the Super Joe and Higgy at Kelty Hearts. Going to be some laugh battling for play off spots with Falkirk, while Kelty romp the league.

Just realised you meant Cardle.

Autocorrect showing disrespect to Super Joe there.

Edited by Shandon Par

I’d definitely agree regarding Wighton having other qualities and I get what you’re saying regarding both of their lack of appearances. But I’d still argue that they are both more proven as goal scorers at this level than O’Hara. They both scored 9 last season, when we only played 3/4 of a season. Barring one purple patch in 19/20, O’Hara hasn’t scored regularly. He had a purple patch of 8 goals in 8 games that year, but hasn’t produced that sort of form before that or since. I’d personally have him down as the least proven of the 3 strikers. However, I do believe that both Wighton and Todorov should be capable of a decent partnership with O’Hara - Wighton and O’Hara had a very good spell together late last season actually.

Todorov hasn’t impressed me as a target man. For someone his size, he gets bullied a lot and doesn’t have much strength. He seems to be better with his feet than his head, but he just hasn’t fitted in here regardless of the role he’s been asked to play. Hopefully the new manager can get the best out of him.

I’m a big fan of Wighton’s overall game. He reads the game better than most and is capable of some brilliance. However, he has been very out of form lately and needs some confidence.

As I say, your analysis is generally very good and I wasn’t really criticising at all. Just trying to put forward a different perspective. In my opinion all of our strikers should be capable of scoring goals. I think just about every other position needs strengthening before the strikers - although, I wouldn’t be against adding more strength/depth to that position if the right player was available.

35 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I've no idea if I've already asked this but could MacDonald play right midfield? His crossing is fucking delightful.

Almost all the goals in out 2 home league cup games came from his crossing, then bizarrely he was locked in a cupboard under the stairs for 4 months. Yeah I think he could play there. Can't be any less effective than Dow or Kennedy just now.

Yeah we took off Thomas and then realised we didn’t have anyone who could cross from the right so they had to bring on a full back. Incompetence.

What would be worse; finishing 10th or getting relegated in the play-offs by Falkirk or Petrie’s Montrose?

Edited by Cardle is Magic

McDonald had a good cameo, got past the full back a couple of times and it was his good cross that lead to Wighton forcing a good save. 

If he was left footed I'd have him straight in over Edwards, who is by far and away our worst guaranteed starter.