Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Some folk continue to defend Grant, insisting that we’ve ‘tightened up’ at the back. The statement (not a question!) from the board mentioned this I’m sure. This is sort of true in that we are no longer conceding three a game, but we’ve still conceded the second most goals in the league (behind Hamilton), and have only kept a clean sheet three times. We continue to leak goals, it’s just not as much. Is that now the aspiration?

We’re also the league’s joint lowest scorers (alongside Morton). When you see the muck we serve up, that isn’t surprising at all.

I fail to see how anyone thinks Grant is suddenly about to ‘turn a corner’. There’s just no evidence for it. There’s zero suggestion that the team will suddenly click. We haven’t been missing loads of chances. We haven’t been unlucky. We haven’t had teams ‘steal one’ from us by scoring with their only effort. We are grinding out miserable draws, which are useless. Anyone who thinks Grant should stay is deluding themselves for some bizarre reason.

I see that the club seem to be pushing this ‘unbeaten’ narrative (it’s being included more and more on the official site in articles*), as if a load of draws are somehow great. If there were even a couple of wins among them, the team would be in a much better place, but of course we know that we’re the only team in the entire SPFL without a win. It's pretty much lying to the fans to pretend things aren't absolutely horrendously bad, and a massive insult to us to insist things are close to turning around. Every day he remains in post is an insult to us, and plenty have had enough of that, as shown by the big drop in attendances.

To recap:

• Second most goals conceded in the league
  • Joint fewest goals scored in the league
  • Joint fewest goals scored across the entire SPFL
  • Joint second lowest point total across the entire SPFL
  • Most draws across the entire SPFL
  • Only team across the entire SPFL without a win
  • Shite

*Talking of the official site, according to the match preview for Saturday's game, we've only scored 5 goals in the league. Also Arbroath apparently sit x places above us in the league.

Edited by DA Baracus

I also see that there are plenty of mentions about the weather in the Arbroath match preview on the official site*. It's like they're getting the excuses in early. They even mention the 'Gayfield surface. I've never understood why people do this. Far too often it just gets in to the players' heads and they're often pretty much beaten before the match. The most prominent example of this is when Scotland got absolutely destroyed in Kazakhstan. Before the game McLeish was going on and on and on about the travel, the time difference, the pitch, the temperature and the atmosphere. He would mention it in all pre-match press. It really got inside the players' minds (I can't recall who, but one of them reeled off the list after the match, which to me showed that they were fixated on these excuses).

Incidentally, guess who was on the coaching staff then?

*The following are all mentioned in the article:

Wind assisted

Gusty wind

Wet and very windy

Stormy

Farcical

Wind on their backs

Notorious Gayfield conditions

Wind advantage

Conditions

Also have a look at the photo of Gayfield they've used!

If the team are so aware of the conditions (although it isn't blowing a gale in Arbroath 24 hours a day like some make out) then I assume they've worked on at least of couple of things to help? They've prepared accordingly? They will use the conditions to their advantage if available? 

Edited by DA Baracus

Tuesday night's game would have been great prep for the wind, no?

I think this weekend will be his last game. Get rid before Morton come calling and you'll get your first win then. It's incredible how confident I feel about an Arbroath win against you this Saturday, ridiculous situation you find yourselves in just now.

It's incredible how confident I feel about an Arbroath win against you this Saturday, ridiculous situation you find yourselves in just now.

Got to be fair, a large part of that is because Arbroath are a very good championship side. They just beat Inverness away and have had a very impressive season so far. We have been awful and I’d back any championship team to get at least a draw against us, but Arbroath would quite rightly be expecting to beat the likes of us, Morton, Hamilton, Ayr and QoS wherever the game is right now.

Our home game v Arbroath was abysmal from our perspective, but Arbroath did look very good and could have scored more. If our players turn up with the attitude we showed there in February, we’re in for a hammering.

Hadn’t read the match preview until reading the above about it. It really is horrific. At one point it mentions our 5 goals in 11 games. Then the league standings section mentions our 6 scored and 15 conceded. To be fair, with the last one, I think they just haven’t bothered updating post Tuesday - although they’ve updated the points tally and form, to show that extra point… add in Arbroath being x points ahead of us and the conditions bearing us, rather than the football team (seriously, how disrespectful is that?!) and it shows how amateur and unprofessional we are, even down to our website. I don’t care if it’s run by volunteers, we’re a professional football club and shouldn’t have our official website reading like a teenager’s fan blog.

Screenshotted examples, so that people don’t have to waste their time reading it all.

d2819c3a457cf95e9eef2d7dced2341a.jpg
061c487e870cb7c0e02a49abb6379bec.jpg
c9d7a69b060a03a93b9a28e308e83860.jpg
28001fc7a5b1428ff5ca31f236b94c68.jpg

It was a bit of a farce that game but ffs let it go. It was last season and didn't matter in the end. Just cringey. Expect nothing less from us though. We went from a cracking, fan-inclusive club in 2016, to this utter shite pretty much at a drop of a hat. This new regime is seriously starting to piss me off now. They honestly don't have a fucking scoobie. 

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

*The following are all mentioned in the article:

Wind assisted

Gusty wind

Wet and very windy

Stormy

Farcical

Wind on their backs

Notorious Gayfield conditions

Wind advantage

Conditions

Also have a look at the photo of Gayfield they've used!

Totally agree - bad "journalism" at its laziest.  If that's all they can report on Arbroath this season......

12 hours ago, CallumPar said:

Hadn’t read the match preview until reading the above about it. It really is horrific. At one point it mentions our 5 goals in 11 games. Then the league standings section mentions our 6 scored and 15 conceded. To be fair, with the last one, I think they just haven’t bothered updating post Tuesday - although they’ve updated the points tally and form, to show that extra point… add in Arbroath being x points ahead of us and the conditions bearing us, rather than the football team (seriously, how disrespectful is that?!) and it shows how amateur and unprofessional we are, even down to our website. I don’t care if it’s run by volunteers, we’re a professional football club and shouldn’t have our official website reading like a teenager’s fan blog.

Screenshotted examples, so that people don’t have to waste their time reading it all.

d2819c3a457cf95e9eef2d7dced2341a.jpg
061c487e870cb7c0e02a49abb6379bec.jpg
c9d7a69b060a03a93b9a28e308e83860.jpg
28001fc7a5b1428ff5ca31f236b94c68.jpg

"Dunfermline were not as much beaten by a football side but by the stormy February weather"

Honestly who comes up with and who signs off on this absolute sh*te. It's actually infuriating. 

3 minutes ago, The Toun Clock said:

"Dunfermline were not as much beaten by a football side but by the stormy February weather"

Honestly who comes up with and who signs off on this absolute sh*te. It's actually infuriating. 

Honestly hate this club at the moment. Everything is rotten about it. Spouting utter trash in statements and on their official website. Sick of it. 

Here’s the forecast for tomorrow, doesn’t quite fit the narrative. Mind you, the conditions for our recent Friday night match with Kilmarnock were almost perfect but that didn’t stop the media and some Killie fans from coming out with the same cliched shite.

47F2F8B0-C928-42AE-B1D1-55229723AE2D.png

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

Here’s the forecast for tomorrow, doesn’t quite fit the narrative. Mind you, the conditions for our recent Friday night match with Kilmarnock were almost perfect but that didn’t stop the media and some Killie fans from coming out with the same cliched shite.

47F2F8B0-C928-42AE-B1D1-55229723AE2D.png

If Arbroath win tomorrow then it'll be down to the football played, not the conditions.