Walking Down The Halbeath Road

3 hours ago, parsforlife said:

A player agreeing to leave when they have very little options for playing for 2 and 1/2 months says an awful lot.

Can’t find a definitive ruling that a player who has his contract terminated cannot sign as would a free agent. Do you have a reference, as all I can find is his association with Dunfermline will have been terminated with the cancellation of the contract, but nothing specific on allowing or prohibiting signing with another club…either at the same or a different level. Perhaps @Skyline Drifter can clarify?

Edited by TxRover

Can’t find a definitive ruling that a player who has his contract terminated cannot sign as would a free agent. Do you have a reference, as all I can find is his association with Dunfermline will have been terminated with the cancellation of the contract, but nothing specific on allowing or prohibiting signing with another club…either at the same or a different level. Perhaps [mention=106]Skyline Drifter[/mention] can clarify?
You can't sign for a team outwith a transfer window as a free agent unless you were a free agent when the last transfer window shut.

No matter how much of a shit-show you may believe a manager is, it is not acceptable to bugger off on an unauthorised holiday. Ever. 

If this story is correct then I'd expect a disciplinary process to be followed, potentially resulting in termination of contract; even if it were a star player in a high performing team. To not do so would lead to a host of other issues. 

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Can’t find a definitive ruling that a player who has his contract terminated cannot sign as would a free agent. Do you have a reference, as all I can find is his association with Dunfermline will have been terminated with the cancellation of the contract, but nothing specific on allowing or prohibiting signing with another club…either at the same or a different level. Perhaps @Skyline Drifter can clarify?

I think he can sign for whoever he wants, they’re just not allowed to register or actually play him until the transfer window opens. 

19 minutes ago, TxRover said:

He can't play professionally at first team level anywhere in the World until he signs somewhere with an open transfer window.

Like what he said below

14 minutes ago, grumswall said:

You can't sign for a team outwith a transfer window as a free agent unless you were a free agent when the last transfer window shut.

10 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think he can sign for whoever he wants, they’re just not allowed to register or actually play him until the transfer window opens. 

Signing and Registering are the same thing in effect. Registration has to be completed within 14 days of signing in theory. He wouldn't be allowed to register for anyone professionally until a window opens. He could of course be employed by anyone but not register or play games. He could also apply to be reinstated as an amateur as long as 28 days have passed since his last professional match and sign for someone as an amateur but he still wouldn't be allowed to play 1st team SPFL.

He could move abroad to a country which currently has an open window. He could go down to Lowland League which doesn't operate windows. He could also turn out as a Trialist up to 3 times for a League One or Two club technically. It would be stretching the ethics of the trialist rule given he's not eligible to actually sign until Jan 1st but it's been done before (Christian Nade turned out for a couple of lower league sides as a trialist after leaving Dumbarton outwith a window I think). I'm sure Annan were one.

Connolly has looked a far better option. Agree with the point about Morris and Ashcroft, Watson looked decent because he had Murray beside him. When he’s the main centre half, he’s been bang average at best.

The only real negative here is it moves graham one space up the pecking order, even worse if Vytas is out.

In this situation, when none of us know the details but are well at liberty to speculate I'm inclined to take Watsons side.

I'm sure he feels a lot better having this wrapped up and being out of that environment. Good luck to him.  

Doubt he will be the last to try and get out. 

Edited by Stoo61

Honestly, I thought Watson looked poor this season but I’m not sure how much of it was due to the system. He was being asked to play that central role of the 3, with Graham and Comrie playing either side. How was anyone ever going to look good in there? Middle of the 3 also comes with the requirement of a lot more responsibility/leadership. I don’t see Watson as a very vocal player/a leader on the pitch. More someone that does his job to a reasonable standard. He looked decent when Comrie went to RB and he had Gaspuitis beside him. That’s why I was so surprised when Connolly came in and Watson disappeared. He’s definitely one of these defenders that need a decent player beside them and can’t look good at all/put in decent performances if there are weaknesses in the defence. He can’t cover for others or lead the defence and that’s what makes him replaceable/not a huge loss.

He’ll sign for another championship team in January - he could even start training with them now. I’d imagine he’ll be decent for them. But I don’t see him as an enormous loss.

Oooft![emoji44]
Mr Watson speaking out but not the type of language you'd use if intending to still be there the next day! Asking your manager to crawl up....... I'll leave it there.[emoji2960]
Very impolite terms is putting it mildly.[emoji44]

Surely nobody actually believes that Wikipedia nonsense?!

3 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Surely nobody actually believes that Wikipedia nonsense?!

The entry for Willie Gibson was spot on.

Willie Gibson stormed out of the Falkirk Stadium after being substituted on 21st February 2012 and 'stormed home in his Peugeot 306, Falkirk manager Steven Pressley advised Willie 'would never play for Falkirk again for being 'a wee petulant fanny'. [10]

Willie Gibson (footballer, born 1984) - Wikipedia

6 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

A lot of rumours circulating social media and .net that he went on holiday during the international break after being told that wasn’t allowed. 

Heard a similar story tbh. In turn it absolutely cunted the clubs covid bubble. 

Complete dickhead behaviour if that is the case. Putting fellow team mates at risk of getting covid and time on the sidelines or worse.

Another impression of Watson I got the longer he stayed with us, was that he wasn't a guy you wanted in the trenches with you.

The first time I noticed that was the game against Arbroath when it was blowing a hurricane. He came out with a stinking attitude from the start. Clearly in the huff that the game had gone ahead, he basically moaned and waved his arms about the whole game, moping about the pitch like Kevin the teenager from the  Harry Enfield show. I was raging at him that day. His whole body language told you everything. The first bit of adversity and he folds.

It has also be evident this season that he's been the first to crack under Peter Grant's shite tenure.  I understand people getting frustrated but there's personal and professional pride at the same time. The other players are showing this even though they must be extremely frustrated with the current situation. 

Edited by Chubbychops

Sounds like Watson hasn't changed much from his Rovers days. 

In isolation he looked a good player but he was part of a defence that routinely shipped 3 or 4 goals at home and then seemed to take offence when the team would get pelters from the stands for this. 

I could well believe the rumours about him going on holiday. 

Peter Grant in June:

“The young boys will get an opportunity because I played seventeen year olds for Alloa. I think it is important, if they are good enough I am not interested in their age.”

Peter Grant in October:

“I thought the group was maybe too young to make Paul that main core of things but he’s proven he can play in every game he has played in this season.”