Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Oh aye, I’d be fucking delighted getting pumped off Thistle, Arbroath and Ayr.

I'll word it better, would you be calling for the new manager to be sacked after just 4 league games in charge if he hadn't said he was going for the title?

Would you guys be less fucked off with 1 point from 4 games if Grant hadn't said you were going for the title?

Nope. I can’t think of any circumstances where any team in the league would be happy with the start we’ve had, regardless of ambitions before the start of the season.

2-2 away to Morton
0-3 at home to Thistle
0-3 at hone to Arbroath
1-3 away to Ary

That’s not acceptable for anyone.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

I'll word it better, would you be calling for the new manager to be sacked after just 4 league games in charge if he hadn't said he was going for the title?

Yes.

It was the fact we appointed this dunce in the first place. I think fans were sharpening the knives when he did his first interview (have a read at it, the alarm bells were ringing from the very first second). He simply had to hit the ground running, and it has gone worse than we imagined. If it was someone more likeable or a fans favourite, he'd probably be getting more time, whether he said he was going for the title or not. 

Grant couldn't have mentioned the title, or he could have said we were "aiming for promotion through play-offs", and fans would still be feeling the way they are just now. Board have really outdone themselves this time with this disasterclass. 

10 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Not for me. I didn’t want him in the first place after getting Alloa relegated last term. In no situation would I be happy with the start. Even if he said he wanted us just to stay up this season, we’ve still drawn or lost to teams you’d expect to fight it out for relegation. The start has been appalling. I do know what you mean though, PG made a rod for his own back saying he wanted us to win the league. The signings quickly showed that wouldn’t be the case but we enjoyed the ride with his lengthy interviews until the actual football started. If he had said he wanted to aim for playoffs as it was his first season with us and a squad with new players then maybe a large % would still be backing him. 

25 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Almost literally nobody wanted him to get the job in the first place and he 100% needed to get off to a great start. Instead he’s soared way below even my lowest expectations.

17 minutes ago, JFPar said:

Not for me. I didn’t want him in the first place after getting Alloa relegated last term. In no situation would I be happy with the start. Even if he said he wanted us just to stay up this season, we’ve still drawn or lost to teams you’d expect to fight it out for relegation. The start has been appalling. I do know what you mean though, PG made a rod for his own back saying he wanted us to win the league. The signings quickly showed that wouldn’t be the case but we enjoyed the ride with his lengthy interviews until the actual football started. If he had said he wanted to aim for playoffs as it was his first season with us and a squad with new players then maybe a large % would still be backing him. 

As an outsider that's what I think too. He made a rod for his own back, despite doing absolutely nothing as a manager previously.  You have a good front three, but behind that you're clearly weaker than Killie and The Caley at the very least. 

Looking back on this thread around the 28th May, when Grant was appointed, and we aren’t at all surprised at how it’s turned out. How can a group of guys on the internet know he’s going be a total disaster, but the people making the most important decisions at this football club be completely unaware.

The one thing that did make me laugh was Rob1885 getting sticky knickers at the sight of Grant wearing a Pars tie and jacket.

OFW competing strongly with Grant in the pre-match meaningless pish:

“It is always an opportunity and I don’t say that cheaply because it is a game against Inverness. Every time you play, every time you stand on that pitch, there is an opportunity to win three points, home or away. It just works out that it is Inverness this week who have won five games. So it definitely is an opportunity on Saturday and hopefully we can take it.”

Also mentions “We haven’t as many points as we would have liked on the board.”

Profound stuff.

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

As an outsider that's what I think too. He made a rod for his own back, despite doing absolutely nothing as a manager previously.  You have a good front three, but behind that you're clearly weaker than Killie and The Caley at the very least. 

I think the middle of midfield and our goalkeeping options are poor. Apart from that, I think we have a title-challenging group of players. Lewis Martin at left-back and Aaron Comrie at right-back should be juicy. A centre-back pairing of Breen/Gaspuitis/Watson should be solid. However, Grant is playing some 3/5 at the back nonsense, with the worst centre-back in our modern history in the middle of it all.  

Even if we do get a new man, those areas of the pitch are badly needing sorted out. 

"If we take away the goals conceded, remove any mistakes, perhaps field the Man City first 11 in our jerseys, replace myself with a testicle with googly eyes stuck on it....we'll do a lot better"

Peter Grant - 17:00 21/09/2021

Looking back on this thread around the 28th May, when Grant was appointed, and we aren’t at all surprised at how it’s turned out. How can a group of guys on the internet know he’s going be a total disaster, but the people making the most important decisions at this football club be completely unaware.

The one thing that did make me laugh was Rob1885 getting sticky knickers at the sight of Grant wearing a Pars tie and jacket.
I'm a sucker for a well dressed man.

On 18/07/2021 at 18:28, Cardle is Magic said:

Ross Graham produced a very enjoyable performance. Did not look like a youngster at all and can see why United see potential in him.

On 18/07/2021 at 19:20, Rob1885 said:

Ross Graham, Edwards and McDonald were all superb yesterday

On 18/07/2021 at 12:00, Chubbychops said:

Looking at the defence, I thought Ross Graham was so impressive. Yeah, he made a mistake for the goal, but I think he looks a really good prospect. Comfortable on the ball and physically impressive at his age. Think he will go far in the game.

58 minutes ago, smpar said:

I had a scroll back and found the above takes on Ross Graham's early appearances...

I suppose as football supporters we've all been taken in by early season optimism at some point or another.

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I had a scroll back and found the above takes on Ross Graham's early appearances...

I suppose as football supporters we've all been taken in by early season optimism at some point or another.

Think that was after we beat a Covid struck Dumbarton 5-1. Ross Graham can look excellent until he has to defend. I see that he caused a goal that day too. Little did we know what was to come.

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He played well in that game. He’s been absolutely atrocious ever since.

Not sure the point you were trying to make?

He was good that day. I'm not going to revise that thought process.

The issue isn’t so much the one point from 4 games, as much as the manner of the defeats/performances. We scraped a draw against Morton, where we seemed lucky to escape with a point. We then played our next 3 league games and have been 2-0 down at some point before half time in every single one and have never even looked remotely competitive. On paper, you could argue that you couldn’t really ask for an easier/better start in terms of fixtures. But we haven’t just struggled, we’ve looked like 17/18 Brechin City.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I don’t think the reaction/mood would be this bad if it just wasn’t ‘clicking’ yet, or if there were signs of progress. Unfortunately though, we’ve made the same mistakes and left the same gaps every single game. The manager’s interviews are also a huge issue, where he comes across as a deluded moron and refuses to accept any responsibility. I don’t know if you’re aware, but he’s publicly said that tactics don’t win or lose games, it’s the players that do. Leaves me questioning what he thinks his job is. He also repeatedly says that the players look great in training and this week, he has finally acknowledged “unfortunately, you’ve got an opponent playing against you, trying to beat you as well”. Seriously, read/listen to some of his interviews and you will understand why we have no time for him.

I can already tell you where Inverness will find joy on Saturday. When you get the ball, aim for either wing and you’ll find acres of space and a CB will have to come out of position, then nobody will know what their jobs are at all. Likewise, if you ask Duku to stick with Ross Graham all game, he will enjoy a very very easy game. You will have the freedom of midfield, as we have nobody who will bother defending/putting in challenges. Despite Grant hanging Thomas out to dry, I haven’t seen any midfielders look interested in that side of the game. Out of possession, put pressure on our defenders/keeper and you won’t need to worry about our attacking players. The guys who are supposed to be playing it out from the back aren’t capable of it at all.