Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Was at this pish yesterday. Left early, with about 5 minutes to go. First time I've left a game early since a pre-season friendly against Gretna in 2007 where I ripped the gusset of my shorts after vaulting a row of seats.

Anyway, we were absolutely rank once again.

What does Grant see in Graham? I genuinely think we never played the 3 at the back against Arbroath because Graham wasn't available. It's like Graham is his boy and he doesn't trust playing the formation without him, for some mad, inexplicable reason. Graham really is awful. Unreal he keeps any other defender out of the team. Talking of which, what's the deal with Breen? Still injured? Jones, Watson and Gaispuitis are all capable I believe to make up a decent centre back pairing. Get Graham punted from the team, the squad and the club.

It's been touched upon, but plying your best players in their best positions is just such a basic thing. Our player of the year last season was Comrie and the young player of the year was Edwards, yet neither are getting played in their natural position. Likewise Dom Thomas and Ryan Dow, and our best striker sits on the bench most weeks. Todorov is actually a decent signing I think, but Wighton is a better player than both he and O'Hara and should be starting ahead of them both, with they having to compete to start alongside him.

What is our style of play? I'm confused as to the intent. There is so much pointless passing around the defence who are looking for a forward pass but finding none on, often resulting in an aimless long punt, giving away possession. I don't have the stats to hand, but I think in all our league games so far the opposition will have had more possession that us throughout the game, and the way we play is a huge part of that. Our rank midfield is a big part of that too. Pybus is rotten and Dorrans isn't far behind him. They are so ineffective and slow and seem to have no understanding with the defence or attack. Dorrans was, at times yesterday, looking for passes, but often found none on. Is this down to the confusion of our shape? 

We haven't had a good centre midfield in years. Crawford struggled loads with, culminating in the dreadful line up at Starks with a midfield full of loan players. To think he chucked Tom Beadling, Joe Thomson and Paul Paton (as much as I wasn't particularly a fan of Paton, he's streets ahead of what we currently have). Then Turner fell out with Crawford too. Imagine having those four still at the club. Would make a big difference. I'd like to see Paul Allan given a chance, as not only would he struggle to do worse, but I thought we were supposed to be developing younger players? Also, what happened to Cole?

The confidence seems non existent in the squad just now. We are so soft to play against. Not only are we easy to score against, but the heads go down right away when teams do. I also think there's still a lot of uncertainty, with numerous lads not knowing what they should be doing. See the defence, where far too often players are unmarked. It's like they don't know who should be picking up what opposition player. 

The board must answer serious questions about this farce. As has been said before, they need to explain why they thought Grant was the man for the job. They need to explain what about his loser record made him the ideal candidate, and what games his shite, relegated Alloa played last season that impressed them so much. They should answer why they apparently rejected every other application and apparently didn't even bother interviewing anyone else. Is that extreme naivity or extreme arrogance? Either way, if/when Grant is punted, they can't be allowed to get away with not answering those, and other, questions about the hiring.

Furthermore, I thought that the club was supposed to be signing and developing younger players. I get that not every signing can or should be a younger lad we can develop, as experience is also needed, but which of Grant's signings are supposed to be developing? Jones maybe? That's one of out of 7, not including loans. What is Grant's track record of bringing through younger players? Did the board consider this when he was appointed? Or have they just abandoned this ethos for no reason all of a sudden? But then you consider that an academy is seemingly being built. Did they consider this when hiring Grant? Again, what about his record shows that he would be the ideal man to blood players from an academy system in to the first team? Was this even considered? If not, why not?

Grant announced he was leaving Alloa in April. How many teams approached him from then until we appointed him? Is it zero? Zero other teams enquired about him becoming their manager? Zero because he's shite?

The club is an a downward trajectory. The board can try and hide behind COVID for the shite crowds, but they're just lying to themselves and us. Just a quick look around at other clubs quickly exposes that nonsense. Season ticket sales are way down because the appointment of Grant just deflated so many people. I bet we all know multiple fans who said they were no longer getting a season ticket once he was announced. Even before COVID, crowds were only going in one way. Very troubling, but a good managerial appointment after Crawford, combined with fans being allowed back, could really have seen a good increase in season ticket sales and walk up sales too. Fans were itching to get back, but once Grant was announced the enthusiasm was absolutely killed, and now there's utter apathy amongst the fanbase. Once you lose fans, it's very hard to get them back. The prices don't help either. It's already too expensive but the prices are only going to go one way. A couple of years ago they said that prices had to be raised to cover costs, but a big loss was down to them handing out a 2 year deal to Johnston and sacking him 6 months in. Then they have the audacity to chuck a two year deal at Dorrans and ask us to continue paying inflated prices for utter muck. A huge two fingers up to the fanbase.

Talking of Johnston, that 2 year deal and their appointments of Crawford and Grant show that those responsible cannot be trusted to make the next appointment. In fact they should have nothing to do with appointing Grant's successor.

I've seen chat about appointing John Hughes. Abysmal shout. If the aim is only to do better than Grant, then fine, but if that's the case then why not ask Crawford if he'll come back, or phone up Queens and ask about Johnston? What we need to do is write up a proper brief for the role. What do we want from a manager? Invite applications and interview them, asking them to demonstrate how they meet the brief, using their experience at previous roles. It doesn't need to be one of the usual boring failures. When you invite applications you can often find a gem. Look at Motherwell with Robinson, St Johnstone with Lomas (and then Wright, who came with Lomas) or even Celtic with Postecoglu. The likes of Neil McCann, Jim McIntyre, John Hughes etc might apply for it, but when you ask for applications you often get guys you've never considered.

The longer Grant is in place the more likely we are to go down and the more fans we hemorrhage. Change is needed, and perhaps not just at the level of manager.

This is 100% spot on

It's after 6pm on the day after our fourth defeat in a row and Peter Grant is somehow still in charge. I'm not even sure how he managed to make it to the Ayr game, however he is still here. If he isn't gone by Saturday I won't be attending, and I have a season ticket - I've had one consecutively since 1995. The board have made disastrous footballing decisions which have cost us over the past few seasons and the Grant appointment is the final nail for me. I've no idea of what the true influence the new German investors had over the final decision to appoint Grant, however it's clear McArthur was a major factor in influencing the decision as a whole. I'm assuming they struck up some form of rapport while we used the Alloa facilities last season, as if anybody looked at Grant's record or CV (which he didn't submit) they would see he is an abject failure wherever he has been.

It was rumoured that Dick Campbell was interested in the job when it became available after Crawford's departure, and I've warmed to the idea after thinking about it. I would usually be against re-employing a manager, although in Dick's case I would make an exception. Assuming the interest was genuine, as it wasn't made public, his record with Forfar and Arbroath would make him the perfect candidate to take over if the job was available. I get the sense that he has unfinished business here given the fact he resigned in 1999 after one defeat to St Mirren at Love Street, Calderwood finished in exactly the same place that Dick had left us which ended in promotion. I don't even think you could say he has Abroath punching above their weight, he now has them well established in this division and the level of performance his team put in compared to ours when they pumped us 3-0 was staggering in its difference. He gets players to play in a system that suits them, they all work hard (the bare minimum) and know their jobs. I don't think there is a manager out there with more experience in the lower leagues, and he would have a point to prove. He's 67, it would be his last shot at full time football before retirement, but given what we have at the moment I can't see a better appointment.

3 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Mass walkout if he is still here on Saturday. Get the word out on social media. Have no problem giving the club my money as they rely on the fans, but enough is enough and we need to get the message across good and proper. Pish-stained bedding for banners the lot.

Always with the bedsheets, you guys. 

9 hours ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Little mention of your German overlords so far. Are they culpable for sanctioning the appointment or was their controlling interest immaterial at the time? What part do they have to play now? Or is their whole occupation some mastery of smoke and mirrors?

Joachim Low still looking for a job, just saying lads ...... 🙄

He's 67, it would be his last shot at full time football before retirement, but given what we have at the moment I can't see a better appointment.

Yes, there was some rumours about Dick being interested, but I really can’t see it. I genuinely don’t believe a man that is of pension age, with a business to run, is interested in leaving a very successful post in Arbroath to manage a bin-fire like us. He’ll have full-time training to take, which will get in the way of his working life outside football big time. It really doesn’t sound like it would be worth it for the man just to go full-time for a couple seasons. He has done amazing at Arbroath and has a really good thing going there, so to me anyway, it would be complete madness to leave that to come manage us, especially at his age and all the things going on in his life. Would I take him? Absolutely I would, but it isn’t realistic.

Stuart Petrie on the other hand, although rumoured to have a lucrative job outside of football, is a lot younger and might fancy having a crack at full-time football. I keep thinking of guys like Jack Ross and maybe Petrie can see guys like that as an influence. Petrie might see this as the ideal opportunity he has been waiting on to go full-time, make a career out of football and earn top dollar if he can get a big job move. I don’t know for sure, that is just pure speculation. His love for the Pars is well documented. He is a club legend. The board should be doing everything possible to get him. He can only say no.

In my honest opinion, if they do sack Grant, they’ll probably only be looking at managers out of work. There’s not very many realistic, inspiring candidates that are unemployed out there. Probably looking at Yogi, Stuart Kettlewell, Ray MacKinnon, Neil McCann, Brian Rice, and Gary Caldwell being the ones on offer. I would really not like any, but if you have to choose, then it’s probably Yogi (although I imagine he’ll be lined up for the Ayr job)

Keith Hill took Tranmere to a play-off last season after taking charge in November. His record at Bolton and Barnsley was terrible though. Got a good record at Rochdale tbf. Probably too dear so looks like we’re stuck with the usual suspects stated above.

53 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

In my honest opinion, if they do sack Grant, they’ll probably only be looking at managers out of work. There’s not very many realistic, inspiring candidates that are unemployed out there. Probably looking at Yogi, Stuart Kettlewell, Ray MacKinnon, Neil McCann, Brian Rice, and Gary Caldwell being the ones on offer. I would really not like any, but if you have to choose, then it’s probably Yogi (although I imagine he’ll be lined up for the Ayr job)

Abysmal shouts. Absolutely fucking horrible, utterly lacking imagination and not actually reflective of the situation at all. There were apparently circa 80 applications before Grant was offered the job. If any are even considered then just fold the club, including Hughes and Levein. Fucking losers the lot of them, get them all squarely to f**k.

If the aim is only to do better than Grant, then fine, but if that's the case then why not ask Crawford if he'll come back, or phone up Queens and ask about Johnston? What we need to do is write up a proper brief for the role. What do we want from a manager? Invite applications and interview them, asking them to demonstrate how they meet the brief, using their experience at previous roles. It doesn't need to be one of the usual boring failures. When you invite applications you can often find a gem. Look at Motherwell with Robinson, St Johnstone with Lomas (and then Wright, who came with Lomas) or even Celtic with Postecoglu. The likes of Neil McCann, Jim McIntyre, John Hughes etc might apply for it, but when you ask for applications you often get guys you've never considered.

Edited by DA Baracus

Abysmal shouts. Absolutely fucking horrible, utterly lacking imagination and not actually reflective of the situation at all. There were apparently circa 80 applications before Grant was offered the job. If any are even considered then just fold the club, including Hughes and Levein. Fucking losers the lot of them, get them all squarely to f**k.
If the aim is only to do better than Grant, then fine, but if that's the case then why not ask Crawford if he'll come back, or phone up Queens and ask about Johnston? What we need to do is write up a proper brief for the role. What do we want from a manager? Invite applications and interview them, asking them to demonstrate how they meet the brief, using their experience at previous roles. It doesn't need to be one of the usual boring failures. When you invite applications you can often find a gem. Look at Motherwell with Robinson, St Johnstone with Lomas (and then Wright, who came with Lomas) or even Celtic with Postecoglu. The likes of Neil McCann, Jim McIntyre, John Hughes etc might apply for it, but when you ask for applications you often get guys you've never considered.

I’m only stating what the board will be going for, given their track record. Don’t expect anything inspiring. IF Grant is punted, it will 100% be another crap appointment. Grant was genuinely the worst on offer in the bookies odds. I’d have took McIntyre, MacKinnon, McCann, and Yogi ahead of him. It shows what a fucking disaster this has been from them. He simply cannot be the manager for another game. They need to get it right. If they show some ambition there absolutely is an abundance of inspirational candidates out there that would be interested if they open applications. I have no faith at all that they will do that and go for a “safe” option ie guys like Yogi, McIntyre etc. It truly is a horrendous set of circumstances we’re in once more.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Agreed, however if the choice of grant or anyone of the your ‘bad’ suggestions the bad suggestions win every single time.  I hope to hell out recruitment strategy is improved this time, but even if it hasn’t we surely can’t go backwards from this c**t?  

On 11/09/2021 at 17:16, CallumPar said:

Apparently our captain was calling fans w*****s and telling them to f**k off at full time. Contributed absolutely nothing since Grant brought him in and is now abusing the fans. His contract can be ripped up too.

iOPyw3M7_normal.jpg

Graham Dorrans is done as well after what he done today... and he has the captain’s armband. What a mess.

ofEbLUjO_normal.jpg

What happened?

He told us all to f**k off and gave us the w****r sign.

Glorious, what a grand day out in Ayr Face with tears of joyFace with tears of joy
Maybe Dorrans was playing a game off say what you see. 10/10 for him then