Walking Down The Halbeath Road

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

So using Grant's theory, playing a 1-0-9 and losing 15-0 would be the players fault and not the formation.

He’s a coach, not a manager. I’m sure training looks great but that doesn’t mean it will be reflected out on the pitch when things aren’t as organised and sterile.

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

He’s a coach, not a manager. I’m sure training looks great but that doesn’t mean it will be reflected out on the pitch when things aren’t as organised and sterile.

He strikes me as someone who forgets there will be another team on the pitch and his 4-3-3 free-flowing football on the training pitch probably won't work in a game against a team set up to counter it with ease, against 11 players who aren't the type of player to play it.

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

He strikes me as someone who forgets there will be another team on the pitch and his 4-3-3 free-flowing football on the training pitch probably won't work in a game against a team set up to counter it with ease, against 11 players who aren't the type of player to play it.

Yup.

I did voice concerns that Dumbarton’s reserves were able to just saunter through our midfield and this may not bode well for when the real games started.

58 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

How could we reject every applicant for the manager’s job, in favour of this nutter?

IMG_2299.jpg

This is fucking horrendous 🤣 He'll get hounded when performances like against Partick keep happening for the next couple months.  

1 minute ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Yup.

I did voice concerns that Dumbarton’s reserves were able to just saunter through our midfield and this may not bode well for when the real games started.

Basically every other team in the league just needs to play any variation of 3-5-2, 4-5-1, or 4-2-3-1 and you'll be overrun in midfield.  Wild if he continues with it.

Will be interesting if he changes tactics/formation ahead of Friday after the criticism aimed at him. Strikes me as someone who doesn't want to admit he's wrong and will let his ego get the better of him. I think after 2 games of seeing the team playing whatever formation he's going with and getting humped in both would be enough to make him see it's not working. Hopefully he sticks with it until after Friday at least 😛

Please stop talking about “his 4-3-3”. He hasn’t used a 4-3-3 with us at all. So far we’ve only used 3-4-3 and 3-4-1-2 systems, with players out of position.

I agree with the rest of your post though. He’ll stick with the same system, making it really easy for opponents to come up with a plan to beat us. Didn’t take anyone long to realise having a physical striker near Comrie for high balls/crosses and if you have anyone who resembles a footballer, to target Graham. I feel a bit for Graham, he’s clearly lacking confidence and struggling, but Grant’s system leaves him needing to try and play full back and CB at the same time, since the wing backs are nowhere to be seen when we lose the ball. Comrie faces the same issue. Strikers move towards them, drag them inside and the entire wing is wide open since Grant’s instructions are for the wing backs to charge up and stand alongside the strikers as soon as we win the ball, even if it’s in our 18 yard box. Add in the lack of any sort of ‘fight’ in midfield and no distribution to the excessive number of strikers, I have no idea why he seems to persist with his stupid system.

In 2021, I can’t believe there’s a manager suggesting tactics are almost irrelevant. I’d be laughing if it was any other team, but this is the man we actually headhunted for the role.

Remember after Crawford's resignation we were guessing all these exotic names to potentially take over, given the new regime?
Absolutely hilarious we ended up with this daft hotdog. Fan pressure will get him sacked when we are sitting bottom end of September. No idea how we get a single point between now and then if we keep up with this 3-4-3 crap. Problem we also have is that we don't have players good enough to play in the middle either*

*that isn’t injured and readily available

Is there any chance he is just bluffing in the media? Let John McGlynn think the formation will be the same and prepare us to try and exploit the 3-4-3 when Grant is actually going to switch things up and start with a back 4.

Or am I giving him too much credit? Given the last time I checked Dunfermline had 7 players capable of playing centre back in a back 3, he has possibly painted himself into a corner with regards to the formation.

43 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Is there any chance he is just bluffing in the media? Let John McGlynn think the formation will be the same and prepare us to try and exploit the 3-4-3 when Grant is actually going to switch things up and start with a back 4.

Or am I giving him too much credit? Given the last time I checked Dunfermline had 7 players capable of playing centre back in a back 3, he has possibly painted himself into a corner with regards to the formation.

7 centre backs but uses a right back as centre half instead (and uses someone who was brought in as a centre back as a right wing back).

2 hours ago, CallumPar said:

How could we reject every applicant for the manager’s job, in favour of this nutter?

IMG_2299.jpg

Jesus, that's grim. He surely can't be that blind/stupid/stubborn. Can he?

I mean, it's not quite as bad as 'Yogi' Hughes decrying his relegation-threatened Raith Rovers team in an interview as " just no' very gid playurs", but it's not kicking the arse off it.

Remember after Crawford's resignation we were guessing all these exotic names to potentially take over, given the new regime?
Absolutely hilarious we ended up with this daft hotdog. Fan pressure will get him sacked when we are sitting bottom end of September. No idea how we get a single point between now and then if we keep up with this 3-4-3 crap. Problem we also have is that we don't have players good enough to play in the middle either*

*that isn’t injured and readily available

No gonna lie DA, I found the names linked to be utterly uninspiring [emoji23][emoji23]save for Stewart Petrie and any random German somebody had googled (which was never going to come to fruition).

In any workplace if your gaffer kept criticising your work without supporting your efforts, you'd tell him/her to do one.
Players are no different to the common 5 / 8 workers.
Ps
I heard a wee whisper PG is very weak in the dressing room.

I’d be surprised if that’s the case. I imagine him being a complete fantasist, but at least a passionate and assertive one at that.

I can definitely see him baffled that players can dribble a ball round a cone so easily but find it really difficult against Connor Goldson. Or, indeed, any moving object.

In fact, I almost guarantee that he’s pointed that out to some of our players already, and not seeing what the problem is.

Will be interesting if he changes tactics/formation ahead of Friday after the criticism aimed at him. Strikes me as someone who doesn't want to admit he's wrong and will let his ego get the better of him.

I was hoping that after the Rangers game when he switched to a 4-4-2 for the second half. But now it’s been pointed out, I think his ego will get in the way. When he eventually changes things, it’ll be because he’s a tactical masterclass, not because a local journalist asked him about his poor tactics.

28 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Strong Gary Caldwell vibes from Grant here. 

I was trying to think of who it was who was like this before and couldn't remember and it's definitely Caldwell.