Walking Down The Halbeath Road

3 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Partick Thistle just pumped us so I really don’t see what difference it will make what team Rangers have out on Friday.

I think they win even if you gave us a 3-0 head start.

If Morelos & Kent play we might lose 10 nil, if they don't we might only lose 5 nil. I don't actually expect us to win, just that the pasting might not be as big.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Agree with your post, 100%. But wanted to focus in on this point. There are basics that we are getting totally wrong and it seems to come from the management’s instructions. When the CBs have the ball, the wing backs push right up, to be in line with the strikers. Now, everyone has seen us play and knows the plan. So everyone now has a deep defensive line, so we can’t get in behind them. What happens is someone (usually a midfielder) has to come back to get the ball. They get the ball with their back to goal, defender is close to them, so they can only play it backwards. If it can get played to a wing back, again, they get it with their back to goal and defender(s) are closing them down, so they can only move/play it backwards. Nobody is making runs so that they can be running forward with the ball, or run at defenders. You don’t want everyone to be moving/facing back to our own goal whenever they get the ball. Big part of that issue is the wing backs bombing forward to play with the strikers, even when it’s the keeper/another defender that has the ball, back in our own 18 yard box. It’s just stupidity.

PG talks a good game and you’d think he was some sort of footballing professor. In reality, he seems clueless. Grand ideas, but doesn’t understand the game well enough to realise how unrealistic/flawed his plan is.

He goes on about wanting players on the bench who let him change things. Then he brings in Wighton for Thomas and plays him in a number 10 role, where Thomas had been playing, despite the fact our tactics weren’t working. Then waited until the game was buried and we were 3-0 down to actually change the system. I’m all for giving him a chance and think he deserves time. But if there’s more games like that and he continues to show such naivety, I’m not sure he deserves time to prove himself.

Your first paragraph is bang on the money. The CM dropping to get the ball and just bouncing it back into a tight space meaning the WB has no choice but to lump it or go backwards. CM’s should be receiving the ball on the half turn and looking to open it out, instead they’re standing faciNg our gas square on with no where to go. They just hid after this happened a few times. It honestly looked like any time we had the ball there was only ever one player looking to receive a pass. 

For that formation to work we need a box to box midfielder and a ball winner, someone willing to break up the play and do the dirty work. Cole and Dorrans are neither. Teams also screaming out for a leader on the park. Dom Thomas isn’t the answer, he needs kept out wide as well. Loses the ball centrally too much causing major problems. The thing is he’s signed that many attacking players he’s trying to shoe horn them into the team. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Breen spent the whole of his time with us playing left centre back and was absolutely fine, fairly comfortably our best defender. Gave away a daft last minute penalty that got Hearts a draw at Palmerston but no other especially obvious errors.

Cheers. Don’t know what much about him but has got to be better than Ross Graham. If Peter Grant persists with him and Mehmet I can see his tenure being extremely short. 

1 hour ago, JFPar said:

Didn't realise Rangers are playing in Europe tomorrow night before playing us on Friday. Here's hoping it goes to extra time and they then rest some of the big guns because it could be a pasting. The only good thing about this tie is the share of the gate which could potentially be a sell out in terms of the home crowd.

OFW

Comrie, Watston, Vytas, Breen, Edwards

Cole, Dorrans, Pybus

Wighton, Toddy

I'd go for this team. I don't think OFW is necessarily better than Mehmet but Saturday was bad, really bad. Harsh on MacDonald but Comrie is a better fullback/wing back than he is a centre half so has to go back to a more familiar position. Graham shouldn't be in the 18 so I'd bring in Vytas and Breen to add some physicality. I've not seen much of Pybus but I'd start him for legs and energy in the middle. Play two up with Wighton and Toddy, I watched Livi play Rangers last weekend with Bruce Anderson as the lone striker and I don't think he touched the ball, completely isolated. I like O'Hara but I think we should be a bit more physical and out of the three strikers, Wighton and Toddy both had better games on Saturday. Hurts to say this but after Saturday, Rangers -5 is a safe bet.

Sticking with 5 at the back is bold like

1 minute ago, 101 said:

Sticking with 5 at the back is bold like

We're playing Rangers at Ibrox, I'm not a massive fan of 5 at the back but going away from home to play against the best team and champions of Scotland is probably where 5 is most suited. If we play 5 at the back at Starks next week I'd be disappointed. 

56 minutes ago, JFPar said:

We're playing Rangers at Ibrox, I'm not a massive fan of 5 at the back but going away from home to play against the best team and champions of Scotland is probably where 5 is most suited. If we play 5 at the back at Starks next week I'd be disappointed. 

I would get back to a back 4 and stack the defence and play one up top to give the strikers a rest.

Rangers have a squad of 25+ players they can rotate and all are capable of being challengers for titles and trophies. We are in for an extremely difficult and long evening on Friday. 

I gave Graham the benefit of the doubt on Saturday as I left East End and said he'd had a poor game and that there was little he could do about the OG - it just bounced off him and into the net but after watching the highlights today I'm fairly certain most defenders would have smashed that info the cemetery. Maybe I'm being harsh?

36 minutes ago, JFPar said:

I gave Graham the benefit of the doubt on Saturday as I left East End and said he'd had a poor game and that there was little he could do about the OG - it just bounced off him and into the net but after watching the highlights today I'm fairly certain most defenders would have smashed that info the cemetery. Maybe I'm being harsh?

No, you aren't. He actually totally misses the ball after swinging at it with his right foot, and it hits the inside of his left leg and goes in to the net.

He wasn't the only one at fault there. Thistle smash a long ball from well inside their own half. Comrie headers it clear to Macdonald, who gets dispossessed far too easily. They pass it back then pass inside to Cammy Smith, who is allowed to run in to the box and put the ball across the goal almost unchallenged by Cole, with Cole making no effort to stop the ball across the goal.

Horrible defending with three guys at fault, all from an aimless long ball.

For the first I first thought that no one tracked the run of Docherty. Not true. He actually stands still and absolutely no one bothers to mark him. When the corner is put in he takes two steps forward and, remaining utterly unchallenged and unmarked, has an easy header.

For the second Graham, Dorrans and Watson are standing just behind the penalty spot with two Thistle players, one of whom is Holt. When the corner is put in, Dorrans stands still and Graham and Watson both follow the same Thistle player. Holt simply runs to the back post and has a totally unmarked header in to a totally unguarded net, as Mehmet appears to have hands made of smoke since he flaps at the ball and it goes right through him.

Three desperately poor goals to concede, all easily preventable and down to abysmal defending.

Guest Axle Grease

OK, Ibrox it is then. Must be fuckin mental making this my first return game regarding post pandemic Pars watching. 

Prediction: I'll be slaughtered and I suspect the team also. 

19 minutes ago, Gigi Alabocheré said:

A lot of clubs announcing they’re allowing full capacity crowds. Any news if we’re going to follow?

We don’t have a home game until the 28th August so there’s no rush but I’d imagine it’s just a formality.

1 minute ago, Axle Grease said:

OK, Ibrox it is then. Must be fuckin mental making this my first return game regarding post pandemic Pars watching. 

God speed.

I’ll be watching Brentford vs Arsenal and enjoying my evening.

I will not set foot in Ibrox again, never as long as I'm on this planet. Fuckin hell hole. 
[emoji848]