Walking Down The Halbeath Road

40 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

All you end up doing when you barely have enough outfield players is guys having to play 90 mins when they’re not ready for it yet.

I’m trying not be flippant here but I don’t understand your point.  They aren’t going to get ready for it unless they are playing friendlies.  So you get a few matches sorted and get those who are there up to match fitness.   

The point about squad numbers is a different one I think, no one can deny we are so light in numbers it’s scary. 

Match fitness is not just being on the park though. It’s playing in a certain system with your teammates. The squad, I sincerely hope, will be vastly different by mid-August so I’m not sure the games will have been all that valuable.

As has been mooted though, perhaps Grant sees the League Cup as the real pre-season so will be wanting bodies in by then.

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Match fitness is not just being on the park though. It’s playing in a certain system with your teammates. The squad, I sincerely hope, will be vastly different by mid-August so I’m not sure the games will have been all that valuable.

As has been mooted though, perhaps Grant sees the League Cup as the real pre-season so will be wanting bodies in by then.

Yeh I’m not really bothered about the league cup if it means better league performances.  Crawford always had that nailed then we’d go on a slide.  Let’s see what happens….!

But it doesn't need to be one or the other. Also you seem to be suggesting that a good league cup run means a poor league season, and by extension a poor league cup run leads to a good league season. One has nothing to do with the other, as past seasons have shown since the section format was brought in a few years ago. Both or neither could happen. 

Also it's not like there is an actual choice that the team gets to pick anyway. They could plan to 'write off' the league cup (i.e. use it as a pre-season to get players and a system sorted for the league) and could have an awful league season. They could also have a great season, but then you'd ask why they wrote off the league cup for that if they had the players.

The season now starts with the league cup, so it is the responsibility of the manager and club to have most of the squad in place by then, unless they genuinely are writing off the league cup, but given they will charge fans to view our games (be it in person or online) they can't claim to be writing it off.

All conjecture anyway, and I don't get the impression the manager or club is writing off the league cup.

Guest Axle Grease
14 hours ago, Out of office said:

All conjecture anyway, and I don't get the impression the manager or club is writing off the league cup.

In a nutshell. 

Andy Ryan signed for Hamilton. Are they massively underestimating this league?

Still not really anyone signed for a rival that I feel like we’ve massively ‘missed out’ on. However, I would imagine there’s a real urgency for us to get players in this week.

1 hour ago, CallumPar said:

Andy Ryan signed for Hamilton. Are they massively underestimating this league?

Still not really anyone signed for a rival that I feel like we’ve massively ‘missed out’ on. However, I would imagine there’s a real urgency for us to get players in this week.

If he plays regularly and Hamilton create chances he's more than capable of scoring a substantial amount of goals.

Stephen McGinn at Kilmarnock possibly feels like one missed. The type of player PG must be looking to add at the minute.

He was unplayable any time I saw him at Caley, but I'm not sure he set the heather alight at the Wee Team.

Plays anything like he did at Caley then he is genuinely frightening. Joe Cardle-esque. 

5 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

He absolutely destroyed queens at Palmerston at one of the televised games whilst he was with Inverness.

Sent Willie Gibson for a hot dog for the opener (even if he got a little lucky with the finish).