Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Things all seem a tad concerning just now.

Season ticket sales seem pretty slow. I'm sure they'll pick up next week when folk get paid, but I get the feeling we'll struggle to break 2500 overall. Can see East End being pretty empty next season, even after restrictions are lifted.

The state of the squad is a concern. Crawford, for all his faults, had his guys targeted and signed early. Obviously Grant couldn't do this since he's only recently been appointed. The large number of trialists in the last game suggested that there may not be targets and that they're hoping to find someone rather than having someone in mind,

However, we're not far away from out first competitive game. It's two weeks today, actually, away to Partick, and I shudder to think of what we can field in what will be a difficult game. Should we get any injuries we'll be absolutely fucked. Some leeway for managerial turnover and therefore reduced time to make signings is definitely due, but there's a limit, and Grant creeps towards it. He already has a lot of prove to many fans, be that fair or not.

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I just get an awful feeling that it will be an absolutely awful and massively damaging season in 21/22.

Edit: As pointed out, it is in fact 2 weeks before our first game.

Edited by Out of office

The League cup is something I'm willing to bin if it means taking our time getting the right players.

We've started most recent seasons well with good league cup group campaigns, along with a good opening of the season. We have then turned as shite by October and achieved very little from there on in. 

If Grant gives us a shite league cup and opening league games in return for finding the right players late on and delivering promotion then I'll be a happy man.

Just hope he can find the players that can do that. Dan Pybus is miles off that, but he's probably come to an agreement to play for us, as he needs games to keep fit and we have nae midfielders.

36 minutes ago, Out of office said:

Season ticket sales seem pretty slow. I'm sure they'll pick up next week when folk get paid, but I get the feeling we'll struggle to break 2500 overall. Can see East End being pretty empty next season, even after restrictions are lifted.

The state of the squad is a concern. Crawford, for all his faults, had his guys targeted and signed early. Obviously Grant couldn't do this since he's only recently been appointed. The large number of trialists in the last game suggested that there may not be targets and that they're hoping to find someone rather than having someone in mind,

However, we're not far away from out first competitive game. It's one week today, actually, away to Partick, and I shudder to think of what we can field in what will be a difficult game. Should we get any injuries we'll be absolutely fucked. Some leeway for managerial turnover and therefore reduced time to make signings is definitely due, but there's a limit, and Grant creeps towards it. He already has a lot of prove to many fans, be that fair or not.

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I just get an awful feeling that it will be an absolutely awful and massively damaging season in 21/22/

Just to clarify - league cup starts 2 weeks today not one week. 

52 minutes ago, Out of office said:

However, we're not far away from out first competitive game. It's one week today, actually, away to Partick, and I shudder to think of what we can field in what will be a difficult game. Should we get any injuries we'll be absolutely fucked. Some leeway for managerial turnover and therefore reduced time to make signings is definitely due, but there's a limit, and Grant creeps towards it. He already has a lot of prove to many fans, be that fair or not.

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I just get an awful feeling that it will be an absolutely awful and massively damaging season in 21/22/

How do you know season tickets sales are slow? Big queues at the shop today. We’ll probably sell the 2nd most in the league after Killie. 

Grant confirmed in his interview. A couple to sign early in the week. Another 5/6 to come. Two friendlies set up for next week. 

Why the panic? I’ve not seen our challengers sign anyone I wish we had. 

27 minutes ago, kdypar said:

How do you know season tickets sales are slow? Big queues at the shop today. We’ll probably sell the 2nd most in the league after Killie. 

Grant confirmed in his interview. A couple to sign early in the week. Another 5/6 to come. Two friendlies set up for next week. 

Why the panic? I’ve not seen our challengers sign anyone I wish we had. 

Who mentioned panic? 

I specifically said 'concern'. Concern is not the same as panic. All you note could happen, and the concern could be assuaged.

6 hours ago, obiwanyouknowme said:

We are well short. When you are in pre season and only have 2 on your bench and 1 trialist overall there is something no right. 

PG must be pretty confident that he is going to get the right players in over the next few weeks. 

When you read things like Ben Williamson, Fraser Murray and Ian Viguirs all been approached and all went elsewhere. Just have to wait and see what happens I guess 

I wouldn’t read that much into Vigurs turning you down.

You would have offered a 1 or 2 year deal where cove offered 3 years and a nice wee job to go along side that.

From what Grant is saying he has identified players to sign but things can change at the drop of a hat so I think it’s a case of players weighing up their options before committing.

Contrary to what others have said, I think he knows who he is more or less signing and is just waiting on them agreeing terms. The trialists were young guys we were taking a closer look at in an actual 11 v 11. The boy from Barnsley clearly fucked it for himself and Rice from Sheffield Wednesday isn’t getting offered a deal. So that’s probably that. We’ll add at least 6 players within the next few weeks. Would happily bin the league cup if it means getting the right guys in to challenge for promotion which, ultimately, is the main aim for us.

I actually think the season ticket sales are encouraging. Anything more than 2500 would be absolutely fantastic in my opinion, given the low morale and the shitstorm year we’ve had.

51 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Contrary to what others have said, I think he knows who he is more or less signing and is just waiting on them agreeing terms.

Not sure what this is based on other than blind faith tbh.

I also think qualifying in League Cup recently has been a welcome financial boost that shouldn’t just be dismissed. Everyone would accept getting pumped at the group stage if it meant we win the league but it’s not as simple as that.

Isn’t really blind faith though, is it? Basing it on what Grant has literally been saying. He’ll not be bringing in bodies willie nillie. However, he simply has to get it right. If he can bring a possession based game with out and out wing play, like what we were used to seeing with the great league winning teams of yesteryear back to EEP with some genuine quality, we might get good attendance numbers again.

Guest Axle Grease

Not fretting about our preparation for the season ahead.

We've brought in a new Manager who's preparing his team ahead an important season for us, supporters need to be patient.

Players have to be of the right quality and mindset to fit in with Grant's vision. We should not be signing just anyone to placate those impatient within our support. 

9 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I don’t see the point in even playing friendlies when you’ve only got half your squad available tbh.

Maybe to get the half you do have up to fitness?   I mean what do you expect otherwise?