Walking Down The Halbeath Road

11 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

I’m not really familiar with their business model. What is the non-football revenue that they get and why is it so high?

McDiarmid is used by a lot of local businesses for its function facilities.  The crematorium next door uses it too.  SSE give them 6 figures a year.  There's others I can't mind but they make a fortune off their stadium.  It was built in a superb location.

I’ve found with Pars fans there has been a distinct switch of mentality in recent years.

While previously our fan base seemed to have delusions of grandeur that were way off the mark, there has now been something of a 180 where people try to make us seem like a pub team who should be content to float around the second tier like an unwanted jobby.

I think it’s an inferiority complex of sorts or just a defence mechanism to allow the last 15 years of mostly utter dross to be acceptable.

17 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

In the middle of the park? No chance should he be starting ahead of Thomas or Dow out wide if both are fit.

Who knows how Dow is going to come back from this length of time off and Thomas has got a lot of making up to do with me. No even a bunch of flowers aff the boy after some of those honking performances last season. 

Would be a crackin' problem to have. 

16 minutes ago, We Are Pars Fans! said:

Are we actually planning on doing anything this summer?
Season tickets now on sale, after last seasons dross I thought a few signings would be announced but all we’ve had is an underwhelming manager appointment.

Shields says in his interview that they are not rushing into anything as they a trying to get players to fit the system they intend to play next season, rather than signing somebody because they happen to have a championship medal in this division and look a good signing on paper.

I would imagine midfielders who are comfortable on the ball is what he means, as we will most certainly be playing a possession based game next season.

Guest Axle Grease

The way I see our clubs continual development is around measured and managed progress.

We're not awash with cash but there's a culture now within the club of long term sustainability, allied with realistic ambition. 

We were at rock bottom in 2013. Luckily we had supporters with enough moral fibre, belief and the collective gumption to ensure our survival. We started in many ways from scratch, this was always going to be a fairly long journey. Obviously we'd all have liked to be back in the top league by now, but till now it's not happened, so we just need to keep plugging away. 

There's the gym, new investment from refreshing the boardroom and a  planned training facility. All good positives for the club. 

The German gentlemen who have recently acquired a stake in ownership have come across well in their public interview regarding selling us their vision, which obviously aligned with the current board. 

St Johnstone are a great example and inspiration for us. We should respect that and be comfortable with the fact we're not in the same league as them in a number of ways. However we have the potential to get somewhere near them in the not too distant future, good luck to them, but even better luck to us. Our day back in the sunshine will come, I believe that. 

Edited by Axle Grease

Guest Axle Grease
57 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Dunfermline should be a more successful club than St Johnstone; Saints have been punching above their weight for some time while Dunfermline have been in the doldrums.

Redemption is in the air. Still a slavering fud though. 

What is certain is that they have had a far better team consistently for years now and have been well managed to keep them in the top flight far longer than we can say we have done for a very long time.

3 trophies in recent memory make them the envy of anyone outside the ugly sisters.

We could do far worse than continue to look to them for inspiration and ideas on and off the park.

I seem to remember Ross mentioning a gathering of minds and ideas was looked at being introduced between a number of clubs when we came out of admin, but most didn't really like the idea of giving away any comparative advantages they held. Maybe this is something to once again look at?

St Johnstone have had succession planning in place since Derek McInnes left. At that point Steve Lomas took over and Tommy Wright became his assistant, with the plan being Wright would take over at some point.

When Wright was in post Callum Davidson was identified as his successor.

We seem to have no real consistency in management. Hopefully Shields still being here can help that.

9 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I didn’t realise that was the plan at St Johnstone. Did you read that somewhere or was it mentioned when they were appointed?

Can't mind where I read it (possibly on here). @RandomGuy. might be able to shed some light on it.

Pretty sure they're planning for Steven MacLean and/or Liam Craig to take over once Davidson moves on, be that in a year or 4 years.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Can't mind where I read it (possibly on here). @RandomGuy. might be able to shed some light on it.

Pretty sure they're planning for Steven MacLean and/or Liam Craig to take over once Davidson moves on, be that in a year or 4 years.

I don't think TW was in mind to replace Lomas when he joined, but might be wrong.

The appointment of Davidson as assistant was intended as Wright's successor though, took a while to fulfill it mind you.

MacLean/Craig definitely next in line, depending on when Davidson leaves. 

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

As I said a few weeks back on the St Johnstone thread, they're a bit of an anomaly.  The revenue they get from non-football events is wild.  It's why they rarely lose their best players due to being able to offer them good contract extensions and are so consistently successful because of it, whether it's winning trophies or qualifying for Europe.

Trying to 'emulate' St Johnstone is a bit of a ref herring as it's basically impossible for other clubs to do what they do from a business perspective (a perspective which is then transferred to the footballing side of the club).

This is it, basically. Our actual income will dwarf sides who have 2000 more season ticket holders. Function suite makes an absolute fortune from the crematorium, all weather pitch is fully booked year round, sometimes by 3 groups at once, SSE/Aviva spunk 6 figures each at the club for function suites/car parking. Nissan garage was spending 6 figures using the car park. The ground is owned by the club, now have a fully sized all weather pitch and grass pitch on the grounds to train at. 

Chairman's claimed we've lost out on around £2m due to Covid leading to a loss of functions etc. in the past year, if that puts any context to it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

£2m quid without lifting a finger due to where the ground is.

Think some of the £2m is down to having to pay Sky for the season ending early/no fans etc., but the vast chunk will be non-football stuff.

But yeah, the days of having 2000 more fans being a massive advantage ended the day we built McDiarmid.