Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Personally, I’d be happy to see how Petrie does, if he was given the job, but I’m not convinced we should be making him any sort of top target. He has no experience with a full time club and I think we need someone that has that experience, rather than taking such a gamble. A lot of managers are well suited to part time/smaller clubs and can’t cope with that step up. We can’t really afford to be sitting here in a year’s time, having not progressed from where we are.

If we don’t hear anything in the next few days, it’s probably safe to assume that Crawford is staying. If that happens, I don’t know how they’re going to market the season tickets for next year. I know a lot of season ticket holders who lost interest this year and may not renew, without any reason to believe that there will be improvements.

Experience of managing a full time club is no guarantee of anything. The risk/gamble is just as much as with a manager who hasn't managed at a full-time club before.

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Experience of managing a full time club is no guarantee of anything. The risk/gamble is just as much as with a manager who hasn't managed at a full-time club before.

This.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Agreed. Why should only part time experience be a problem - you'd think it would be the opposite; if Petrie can produce the goods on the pitch with a part time team you'd think he could do even better working with a full time squad.

Open the role to any/all applicants & see who applies. There's a lot of good football people out of work just now. Despite what some people think, we are an attractive proposition. The set up is there, the fan base is there and there are investors on board. 

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

25 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

This.

24 minutes ago, Raith_Raver said:

Agreed. Why should only part time experience be a problem - you'd think it would be the opposite; if Petrie can produce the goods on the pitch with a part time team you'd think he could do even better working with a full time squad.

That logic doesn't work, Dick Campbell has done a fantastic job at Arbroath was a part time manager, surely if he was manager of Man City or Celtic he'd absolutely skoosh it? 

It absolutely is a factor, as proven by managers that do well as part time managers but then don't produce the goods at full time level, likewise some managers have a preferred skillet and tactics that work well at certain levels, see AJ for a managers who's brand of football absolutely skooshes league 1, and doesn't do well at championship level. 

Every manager in every sector of any business has a ceiling, to say "Oh he's good at that low level, he must be amazing at a higher one" ie absolutely nonsense, you don't see Janet, 25 running her own business on Facebook getting touted as the next ceo of amazon do you? 

How about we advertise the job, see who applies, weigh up the pros and cons of them all and appoint the best one? 

38 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

That logic doesn't work, Dick Campbell has done a fantastic job at Arbroath was a part time manager, surely if he was manager of Man City or Celtic he'd absolutely skoosh it? 

It absolutely is a factor, as proven by managers that do well as part time managers but then don't produce the goods at full time level, likewise some managers have a preferred skillet and tactics that work well at certain levels, see AJ for a managers who's brand of football absolutely skooshes league 1, and doesn't do well at championship level. 

Every manager in every sector of any business has a ceiling, to say "Oh he's good at that low level, he must be amazing at a higher one" ie absolutely nonsense, you don't see Janet, 25 running her own business on Facebook getting touted as the next ceo of amazon do you? 

How about we advertise the job, see who applies, weigh up the pros and cons of them all and appoint the best one? 

Jim McIntyre: No full time managing experience, did a good job save for his last year 

John Potter: No full time experience, was absolutely atrocious 

Stephen Kenny: Full time experienced, dreadful

Davie Hay: Full time experience, abysmal

Jim Leishman: Full time experience, didn't work

Bert Paton: No full time experience as a number 1, tremendous

Dick Campbell: No full time experience as a number 1, didn't work

Jimmy Nicholl: Full time experience, didn't work

Jimmy Calderwood: Full time experience, very good

That's the point I was making, i.e. there's no guarantee that having experience of being a manager full time means they will be better than one who doesn't, just like there is no guarantee that a manager at a part time club will be a failure at a full time one or a success at one. 

Edited by DA Baracus

Petrie imo would be a decent appointment but i doubt he will leave part time football due to having a decent job outwith the game

I feel the board are going to keep Crawford and see how we get on next season, which means it will be another year of boring football and long Scottish cup run of 1 game

Edited by The Saline Hill Puma

Jim McIntyre: No full time managing experience, did a good job save for his last year 

That's the point I was making, i.e. there's no guarantee that having experience of being a manager full time means they will be better than one who doesn't, just like there is no guarantee that a manager at a part time club will be a failure at a full time one or a success at one. 
Sorry, when did Jimmy Nicholl not work?

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:
16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Sorry, when did Jimmy Nicholl not work?

1999, but having just checked it wasn't even a month, so unfair to have him here! I thought it was longer for some reason.

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

With a few of those you're saying as having no full time experience, they'd been playing for, or been at a club which was full time, whereas with Petrie he's been in part time football for a decade, Kenny was part time at Derry was he not? 

It's not a guarantor of success, far from it. However Petries lack of experience managing at a full time level is a mark against him. 

1999, but having just checked it wasn't even a month, so unfair to have him here! I thought it was longer for some reason.
He was undefeated ffs! I remember a lot of shouts for him to get the job and I think he'd have done really well.

Nobody said that bringing someone from full time football was guaranteed to be better than anyone without full time experience. There is definitely an added risk with making your top target a man who has never coached/managed in full time football though.

I agree with your point, no appointment is guaranteed success and they all come with risk. But, as far as I can see, nobody ever said otherwise. I still think it would be incredibly naive to make Petrie a top candidate, or to have anyone in mind without opening up for applications and seeing who might want the job. If Petrie is deemed the top candidate after a recruitment process, I will 100% back that. But I disagree with the people who seem to believe he should be offered the job, based on what he has done with a part time club in league 1. This would be a very different task and without an application/interview, it’s impossible to know whether he would be particularly keen and, if he is, what his vision/ideas for the club would be. Some people thrive at managing underdogs and can’t cope with the pressure of managing a team who are expected to win most weeks. There are countless examples of this. However, there are many examples of managers who have made similar steps and thrived.

The main point I’ve tried to make is that it would be ridiculously naive to go out and try and headhunt Petrie, without knowing who else would be interested and/or may have better ideas/vision for the club. Every managerial appointment is a gamble. To appoint someone, or target a particular manager before a formal application/interview process makes the gamble even bigger. To do that for a manager with no experience at this level, or experience managing full time players, would be mental. We need to learn from the mistake of the Crawford appointment, not potentially repeat it.

Our German investors have the option to increase their shareholding to that of controlling interest over the next 12 months. They will therefore have a major influence on any decision. Our Board wont wish to do anything that jeopardises that investment. Our form over the last 5-6 months has been more akin to relegation threatened rather than winning promotion. Over that period we have delivered some of the most wretched performances I can remember in 5 decades of watching the Pars. That wont have gone un-noticed.