Walking Down The Halbeath Road

50 minutes ago, The Saline Hill Puma said:

Was a great day.

Not as fun as the midweek trip to Dingwall however

Never went to that game in Dingwall, but find it hard to believe that it was better than the win being discussed.

I was at uni in Aberdeen at the time and had a shitey part time job on the weekends.

Fortunately l was in charge of the rota, so obviously ensured I wasn't working that weekend on the one after. Unfortunately I couldn't get away with three weekends off in a row (if I could have afforded it I would happily have risked the job, but alas, I could not afford it!), so missed the Falkirk game.

I strangely don't remember much about the game and the day, despite not actually having that much beer before. Oddly I recall almost all of the day and the game the following week, despite being at a party the night before and being on it fairly early, including sambuca before the game and swigs of cheapy champagne after.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 hour ago, da_no_1 said:

That's never 10 years...........

That day plus the two Saturdays that followed will take some beating in my lifetime.

The build up to the derby game was unbelievable. It was a genuine title decider. I had a horrible feeling we were going to blow it despite being on a pretty good run but on the day we were brilliant even though Raith took the lead & Hardies' winner wouldv'e been stopped by any competent keeper.

I remember the next Friday I was having tea with my boy who was 11 at the time. He was trying to tell me he wasn't fussed about going to Cappielow the next day  - I said "aye you are". I told him that days like that don't come along often & he'll regret it for the rest of his days if he didn't go. At 4.50pm the next day he was on the pitch with me celebrating the title win. I'll never forget the look on his face at full time.

Happy days.

Aye, wasn't bad:

ss.thumb.jpg.e33f03b6d446e049ff3fba91db850b93.jpg

That's the full league record, save for the last game (it wouldn't fit in to the screen!).

Ah good times. That Rovers game is right up there, I was mad nervous before hand and was a total gut punch to go a goal down. Little did we know it would make it all the sweeter. 

Was a braw night up the town after the Morton game, lots of red faces from the sun. Big Leish out on the high street givin' it big licks.  

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Never went to that game in Dingwall, but find it hard to believe that it was better than the win being discussed.

Traveled back from China.  Flew into Edinburgh and jumped straight on the train to Dingwall without going to see my mum.  The late header was the real turning point in the run in for me.  Oddly,I sort of knew it was going in.  Not too many Pars fans at the game, but the players went mental when the goal went in.

Severe lack of Rovers fans on the thread the day, conspicuous by there absence really. 

I will genuinely feel bad for them if they go up this year and there's no fans at the game, would the Martin Hardie game have been what it was, if it was streamed? Not a chance. 

The 4 and 5 - 1 games will be forgotten relatively quickly due to the lack of fans and the "scene" that should've accompanied both games. It is a shame really. 

I'm glad that Grant has mentioned the Raith fans here, because today isn't just remembering the good times of 10 years ago.

We should all take a moment to remember those Raith fans who were traumatised by a man in a bear suit 'driving' a cardboard tank whilst a few cartoon machine gun noises played.

Those poor people will be sitting at home, dribbling, trembling wrecks when they realise it is 10 years to the day that their lives were ruined.

Traveled back from China.  Flew into Edinburgh and jumped straight on the train to Dingwall without going to see my mum.  The late header was the real turning point in the run in for me.  Oddly,I sort of knew it was going in.  Not too many Pars fans at the game, but the players went mental when the goal went in.
That was the turning point for me too. Think Falkirk played at Cowdenbeath that night too and drew which meant they were less of a threat going into the run in.

The Dingwall game was poor fayre but I remember one of the fans behind the goals asking Jake Hyde if it was OK that we had signed him after he'd played 3 games as a trialist for Dundee, then we were on the way to the exit just before the free kick was swung in that we scored from. Great away day (night).

McGlynn has fairly changed his footballing beliefs since then.  Not the strongest of leagues that year if that bunch of hammer throwers were our main rivals.

Got to say after looking at those highlights, that our current team are nowhere near that side. Totally dominant in that game. Good one touch stuff played at pace. Never see that with they current side.

1 minute ago, Chubbychops said:

McGlynn has fairly changed his footballing beliefs since then.  Not the strongest of leagues that year if that bunch of hammer throwers were our main rivals.

Got to say after looking at those highlights, that our current team are nowhere near that side. Totally dominant in that game. Good one touch stuff played at pace. Never see that with they current side.

I think, at most, 1 of our players would an improvement in that side (Watson or Murray for Keddie).

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I think, at most, 1 of our players would an improvement in that side (Watson or Murray for Keddie).

OFW is better than Chris Smith. 

Comrie despite being one of our best players, just isn't nearly as good as Woods. 

None of our cbs match Rutkiewicz, although I'd take Watson, Murray and Gaspuitis over Keddie. Although I personally preferred Dowie over Keddie... 

Edwards doesn't come close to McCann, Martin shades it for me but I understand that may not be popular... 

None of our midfielders are getting in, as another controversial shout though I'd say Wighton would make a good partner for Kirk, better than Clarke, Hyde, Buchanan or McDougall I'd say. 

So aye. 

Ofw

Woods-Rutkiewicz-Dowie-Martin 

Graham-Mason-Hardie-Cardle

Wighton-Kirk

Managed by prime Jim McIntyre, he'd have liked that squad. 

32 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

OWF edges Smith I think.  Thomas over Macdougal.. 

If you go even further to the extremes guys like McManus could hold their own,  If you picked the strongest 11 from that squad and this one it would be

OFW

woods dowie rusty mccann

gibson hardie mason cardle

kirk McManus,

I’d consider comrie at RB and moving woods to LB.

Bench  is quite tough if think Murray would be handy due to his ability to cover anywhere in defence.  Comrie/mcaann and Smith completes the defensive options  but the attack and midfield options are very difficult.  Graham/Mcdougal/bell/phinnn/Thomas/Wilson/Wighton.  pick 4.

Some amount of crap keepers in the last decade. 

Gallacher wasn't great second time. Scully, Smith, Gill, OFW

Robinson not great.

Murdoch about the best but played in league 1

Edited by Chubbychops

Special mention to Chris Higgins. Largely forgotten when it comes to his part in the run in. Scored in the 6-1 queen of the south game which was an unreal result considering we played the majority with 10 men.

1 hour ago, Chubbychops said:

Some amount of crap keepers in the last decade. 

Gallacher wasn't great second time. Scully, Smith, Gill, OFW

Robinson not great.

Murdoch about the best but played in league 1

Don't forget....image.png.cf315797de3fe62052ac2d0d75045a37.png