Walking Down The Halbeath Road

17 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Euan Murray is linked with Aberdeen. Good luck to him if he leaves. Thought he’d be better suited to a bottom 6 side though.

Would be a huge loss for us, but at 26 it’s probably his last chance to make that step up.

What's the honest opinion on Euan Murray ?

Sorry to confess, I've never heard of the boy.

Appears to have played for a few clubs along the way 

Likes a goal by the sounds of it. Are they mainly headers ?

In all honesty, he’s been pretty good for us. But I wouldn’t have him down as being a top 6 premiership defender.

He’s a threat from set pieces and defensively has been decent at this level, without being a major standout. Crawford appointed him captain, so I’d imagine he must be a good guy in the dressing room and he’s certainly vocal on the pitch and likes to organise the defence.

Worth noting though, we have a fairly average defensive record in the league this year, with 2 clean sheets and 13 goals conceded in 10 games. So it’s hard to argue that he’s ready to make that kind of jump, given he has been just as culpable as his teammates for goals we have conceded.

I think we would miss him, but I wouldn’t place him in the ‘irreplaceable’ bracket - not for his defensive qualities anyway.

2 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

An aggressive, solid, no nonsense defender. Can play anywhere at the back but at his best at centre half.  Not the tallest but attacks the ball well in the air, hence a lot of goals at the beginning of this year from set pieces. A good leader, has done a fine job as captain for us this season. A many of many clubs having left Motherwell as a youngster. 

That said, without his goals, I don't know if his performances would stand out that much this season. He's not great on the ball so if you play out a lot from the back I am not sure he would be a great fit. Would/will be a big loss for us although I think Lewis Mayo could step up, we'd obviously need another centre back if he leaves this month.

4 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

In all honesty, he’s been pretty good for us. But I wouldn’t have him down as being a top 6 premiership defender.

He’s a threat from set pieces and defensively has been decent at this level, without being a major standout. Crawford appointed him captain, so I’d imagine he must be a good guy in the dressing room and he’s certainly vocal on the pitch and likes to organise the defence.

Worth noting though, we have a fairly average defensive record in the league this year, with 2 clean sheets and 13 goals conceded in 10 games. So it’s hard to argue that he’s ready to make that kind of jump, given he has been just as culpable as his teammates for goals we have conceded.

I think we would miss him, but I wouldn’t place him in the ‘irreplaceable’ bracket - not for his defensive qualities anyway.

1 minute ago, Bucuresti Par said:

An aggressive, solid, no nonsense defender. Can play anywhere at the back but at his best at centre half.  Not the tallest but attacks the ball well in the air, hence a lot of goals at the beginning of this year from set pieces. A good leader, has done a fine job as captain for us this season. A many of many clubs having left Motherwell as a youngster. 

That said, without his goals, I don't know if his performances would stand out that much this season. He's not great on the ball so if you play out a lot from the back I am not sure he would be a great fit. Would/will be a big loss for us although I think Lewis Mayo could step up, we'd obviously need another centre back if he leaves this month.

Thanks for the views guys

Sounds competent at Championship level.

Maybe a late developer ?

Never know how players kick on when they get a bigger move. I remember scoffing at Lyndon Dykes moving to the Premier League.

I think Murray's goals are attacting the interest more than his defensive performances. We've been pretty poor at set pieces this season. Granted not all his fault but he's a big part of that defence. A good defender for us and would say he and Pars are good match. Might be capable of moving up but Aberdeen seems a big step.

Would rather he stayed and signed a new deal, but I'm confident we will be able to replace him.

Edited by Chubbychops

Murray to Aberdeen would be an outstanding move for him, no chance if his scoring had been so concentrated that he would be having anything other than a decent season. It would be good to keep him to try and keep some kind of partnership going for longer than one season but if Aberdeen really are interested then he will go there and good luck to him.

Never know how players kick on when they get a bigger move. I remember scoffing at Lyndon Dykes moving to the Premier League.

A very good point. I was the same with Dykes. McKenna didn’t look that good on loan at Ayr and was valued so highly a year or so later, playing really well for Aberdeen. I genuinely hope that Murray can prove himself as a good premiership defender, whether that’s with us or another club.

3 hours ago, DAFC. said:

I was one of the few that was bold enough to say he was better than Shankland. Glad to see I'm being proved right. Agreed, however; Sunderland are an absolute gang at the moment and he doesn't seem like the type who'll be swayed by money. He has 4 years left at Hibs so it would need to be a ridiculous offer for them to accept it. Hibs have proved with previous signings they aren't going to be fobbed off if any team is coming in for one of their star men. I hold Nisbet in high regard and I want to see him do well eventually for Scotland, but money talks and if there is a high transfer fee paid, it's good for us as we have a sell-on fee. He's a better player than mid-table League 1 in England though. 

Would agree with this. More all round player than Shankland and should be going to be better club than Sunderland if he moves. 

43 minutes ago, All-Star-Par said:

Good captain and set piece threat but a distinctly average defender. Honestly feel defensively Mayo or Martin coming in wouldn’t see any detriment to us at all. Very random move from Aberdeen if of course it’s not complete pish. 

Does the basics and does them well. Not really much more you can ask from a CB at this level. On top of that, he is a major goal threat and is absolutely solid in the air without being the tallest. 

Hmmmm never thought he'd attract an Aberdeen like club. He's decent enough where he is but like others have said, not like he's stood out defensively. 

If you are him though, you are jumping heed first at a move like that. 

Nisbet to Sunderland would be a rotten move. Keep the heed big man, will get a lot better move than that. 

Edited by Stoo61

I see Cammy Smith is being punted at Dundee United feel like he could give us a bit more depth and let us loan out McCann so he can consistently play as a striker.

He’s already played for two clubs so will either be signing permanently for us or going elsewhere and sitting doing nothing until the summer.

29 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s already played for two clubs so will either be signing permanently for us or going elsewhere and sitting doing nothing until the summer.

I read, and it might be pish, that fifa have changed the rules for this season due to covid so players can play for three clubs? 

Edit- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8411575/Players-allowed-play-THREE-clubs-one-season-2020-21-campaign.html

I appreciate it's the daily mail... 

4 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

Thanks for the views guys

Sounds competent at Championship level.

Maybe a late developer ?

Do you play a 5/3 at the back? I think he's perfectly suited to playing as a rcb/lcb in that formation, he spent a good amount of time playing as a full back for Raith, he's actually quite good on the ball. 

Edited by Grant228

40 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I read, and it might be pish, that fifa have changed the rules for this season due to covid so players can play for three clubs? 

Edit- https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8411575/Players-allowed-play-THREE-clubs-one-season-2020-21-campaign.html

I appreciate it's the daily mail... 

Do you play a 5/3 at the back? I think he's perfectly suited to playing as a rcb/lcb in that formation, he spent a good amount of time playing as a full back for Raith, he's actually quite good on the ball. 

That was more down to McGlynn's phase of playing centre backs at full back. Certainly felt Centre half was his better position, with us anyway. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Ah cool didn't realise he had played for Dundee United. I would guess if he really is heading out the door that he's going to you permanently

Ah cool didn't realise he had played for Dundee United. I would guess if he really is heading out the door that he's going to you permanently

Yer man Grant might be on to something further up on this page though. I wasn’t aware that FIFA had changed the rules although I can’t see it mentioned anywhere else besides that article.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yer man Grant might be on to something further up on this page though. I wasn’t aware that FIFA had changed the rules although I can’t see it mentioned anywhere else besides that article.

Just saw that as well, would be interesting but as only the mail are reporting it I'll take it with a pinch of salt