Walking Down The Halbeath Road

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Normally I'd be bricking it incase he now has an absolute shit-show against you but I'm genuinely not worried. 

I mean, I'm almost 100% certain that he's scoring the winner from 30 yards.

He's excellent for us and that's all that matters.  He's played against Celtic, Hearts,  Dundee Utd and decent sides like ICT in his time with us and excelled, so clearly improved since that old footage against Jordan Jones. Still young and more improvement to come.

Great having a coaching set-up that improves players.  Turner, Edwards, Nisbet and Comrie have all benefitted over the last 18 months by coming to Pars.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well its only been 12 months and 26 games since he left Saints, so I'm hardly going to believe he's turned into a competent RB am I?

12 months and 36 games after Kevin Nisbet had left Partick he'd scored 29 goals, Partick Thistle fans probably struggled to accept that he'd turned into a competent striker. 

Shankland, a mere 12 months after leaving Morton having been stinking at St Mirren had scored 26 league goals in his first steps towards becoming an international striker. 

You can choose not to beleive it all you want, Dunfermline fans are better placed than you to say you're chatting absolute shit though. 

Edited by Grant228

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

12 months and 36 games after Kevin Nisbet had left Partick he'd scored 29 goals, Partick Thistle fans probably struggled to accept that he'd turned into a competent striker. 

Shankland, a mere 12 months after leaving Morton having been stinking at St Mirren had scored 26 league goals in his first steps towards becoming an international striker. 

You can choose not to beleive it all you want, Dunfermline fans are better placed than you to say you're chatting absolute shit though. 

Nisbet and Shankland had massive attitude problems holding them back, not lack of ability. Nisbet had put in a MOTM performance against us for Partick, for instance.

Comrie was just too slow, small, and had a lack of agility defensively, and shat himself under any pressure on the ball. His attitude was never in question.

If he's improved he's improved, but I highly doubt he's near top flight level.

Edited by RandomGuy.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Nisbet and Shankland had massive attitude problems holding them back, not lack of ability. Nisbet had put in a MOTM performance against us for Partick, for instance.

Comrie was just too slow, small, and had a lack of agility defensively, and shat himself under any pressure on the ball. His attitude was never in question.

If he's improved he's improved, but I highly doubt he's near top flight level.

And as the past year and a bit have shown at Dunfermline, lack of ability wasn't holding Comrie back. 

Nor was lack of ability holding Liam Craig back at Hibs I'm sure you'll agree, or May at Aberdeen, or whatever other players have left St Johnstone in the past decade then done poorly in the Premier league with other sides, you'd probably say they weren't getting utilised correctly in the best system for them or some other such reason. Probably worth keeping that in mind really. 

You can highly doubt he's near top flight level all you like, fans that have seen Comrie excel at this level will reckon you're wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

And as the past year and a bit have shown at Dunfermline, lack of ability wasn't holding Comrie back. 

Nor was lack of ability holding Liam Craig back at Hibs I'm sure you'll agree, or May at Aberdeen, or whatever other players have left St Johnstone in the past decade then done poorly in the Premier league with other sides, you'd probably say they weren't getting utilised correctly in the best system for them or some other such reason. Probably worth keeping that in mind really. 

You can highly doubt he's near top flight level all you like, fans that have seen Comrie excel at this level will reckon you're wrong. 

Liam Craig and Stevie May had both more than excelled at top flight level before struggling in different sides.

Comrie was horrendous over a period of about 3 years every single time he came into the team.

I've zero idea why this causes such offence.

Hes maybe better now, but I doubt he's good enough for the top flight yet, mainly as it was physical/mental deficiencies that were holding him back. He's probably just found his level at a club that are stronger relative to their division that Saints were during his time with us. He got destroyed by any half decent top flight winger almost every game.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Liam Craig and Stevie May had both more than excelled at top flight level before struggling in different sides.

So players struggled in top flight, moved to different side, didn't struggle at top flight. 

Keep repeating that to yourself, you'll get there one day. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well exactly.

Rooney was a cheap punt because he's massive and rapid. Quite why him getting a top flight team is some proof Comrie could cope at the top flight is beyond me.

Shaun Rooney has all the attributes as a fantastic athlete to be a really good defender. A succession of managers now have taken a punt on him because if he could be taught to defend properly he would be one of the best in the country in that position. A succession of managers have however found that he cant be unfortunately. As usual, John Robertson got more out of him than most.

If Rooney could defend properly he would be in the Scotland side. He has pace, power, physique, everything else he needs. I completely understand why guys like him would attract a top league side.

Anyway, will leave you to debating Comrie now.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

So players struggled in top flight, moved to different side, didn't struggle at top flight. 

Keep repeating that to yourself, you'll get there one day. 

Aye, but May was played as a left winger, while Liam Craig was dumped into the middle of the worst Hibs side of a generation. Comrie was put into a settled defence, had Ricky Foster in front of him to protect him, and still found himself exposed constantly.

FWIW I think he'll be fine against us, we dont play with an out and out left winger, and our left wing back prefers to swing in balls from deep, so we'll likely never see Comrie defensively.

All I've ever said was he was rancid for us, and I'd be amazed if he'd improved enough to be a top flight defender over the course of one season. There was never even hints of it at us at any point.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Shaun Rooney has all the attributes as a fantastic athlete to be a really good defender. A succession of managers now have taken a punt on him because if he could be taught to defend properly he would be one of the best in the country in that position. A succession of managers have however found that he cant be unfortunately. As usual, John Robertson got more out of him than most.

Hes played as the right sided CB against Hibs, and then Motherwell, in our past two games as Kerrs replacement, and looked decent defensively. Abysmal against Kilmarnock (maybe this is a theme...) though.

Callum Davidson is seemingly an incredible coach, and so far hes coached an entire squad of players into a completely foreign formation, and different style of play, over the course of about 4 months. We're now 10 unbeaten under him. Rooney is seemingly getting coached into being a CB by him and his staff. See how he is in a year I guess. If hes shite he'll probably get a chance as RWB next pre-season.

8 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Steady on. Shaun Rooney is fucking garbage

Size + Power > Brains. In the top flight anyway. 

Zero point being able to read what a wingers going to do if he just sprints past you/muscles past you.  

Shaun Rooney is a lump but hes dealt with Jamie Murphy, Martin Boyle, Mark O'Hara and Calum Lang all running at him in the past week simply by outpacing them/being stronger. 

This is my point with Comrie. He could've learned to read the game, but hes just not got the size or speed for it to matter. Championship wingers dont come close to top flight wingers for physicality/speed. Paul McMullan, for instance, struggles to beat full backs at top flight level and just gets shrugged off the ball, yet got assists every week at this level. Alan Forrest is coping at top flight level, but is virtually playing in the middle of the park for Livingston.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Ah yes, unless you're 6 foot plus and can run 100 metres in under 11 seconds you can't be a full back in the Premier league in Scotland. 

I'll be taking bullshit on that. Cheers.

I'm not even sure you're aware of what point your making now "Names small winger who played in championship" isn't coping! "Names other small ex championship player who was actually slower and less skillful" But this guy is!... Wait wot? 

It's almost like, players going into different teams, and different systems is also important? Has anyone considered this? Does that mean you don't have to be in the shape of prime Dolph Lundergren to play in the Premier or does footballing ability come into it at any point? Does the team you're playing for and the way you're expecting to operate count? What about coaching, have we thought about that? 

Or is it a case of banging up a 10 second video from 2 years and being damned for eternity? 

Edited by Grant228