Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Just now, Chubbychops said:

Because as it stands we have no quality in central midfield. Turner should be benched from what I've seen. Todd on loan as he's nowhere near good enough as yet. Whittaker may not be able to play every week at 36. Murray will play centre half and isn't a realistic cm option. 

This

Turner should not be benched. He's just the current scapegoat, latest in a long line of them.

Whittaker might be able to play every week. He might not. There's plenty of cover in central defence so Murray can be moved to central midfield when needed. The manager disagrees that he isn't an option there.

I can see him maybe signing another CM, but not two or three.

I think we'll sign two, a keeper and a centre mid, and then get a further two loans. I'd say we need two wingers, a Frank Ross/Mcdonald scenario. 

After we sign another centre mid we'd had Todd and Allan as back up, IMO Todd absolutely has the potential and I really like him, at the period towards the end of the season before last he was playing reasonably well, he had a bad injury last season and came in later, with a full pre season hopefully he'd realise his potential. We're undoubtedly going to have a smaller squad so we'll need to use our better youth players as squad players. 

34 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Turner should not be benched. He's just the current scapegoat, latest in a long line of them.

Whittaker might be able to play every week. He might not. There's plenty of cover in central defence so Murray can be moved to central midfield when needed. The manager disagrees that he isn't an option there.

I can see him maybe signing another CM, but not two or three.

Spare us the ''scapegoat'' nonsense. Turner has been a disappointing signing. Nobody said signing 3 central midfielders either. Your suggestions seem to be taking first pick players out of their best position and putting them in a more unfamiliar role.  If we sign 4 players we would still have a small squad compared to last season. Utter tosh all the bloated squad stuff.

Turner is bullied too often and he mis-places too many passes. Bugs me when he blames folk for his mistakes too, but he is fairly young still to be fair.

I think he can improve but he needs to work for it and fight for his place. The current squad would mean him starting regardless. He not shown enough to be a starter next year imo. He got a few goals when he first signed which bought him brownie points. No way Stevie will settle on his current central midfield options. Following on from the scapegoat stuff. I'm fairly content with where the Pars are just now, think Craw did OK considering the mess he inherited, I would say scapegoats are only created in times of crisis. My views on Turner are without prejudice. Simply an observation of what I've seen so far. 

53 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I really, really don't think Turner is that bad. I actually think he could be very, very good. 

At the start of last season you had fans falling over themselves to praise his form. 

Im hoping Turner does a Stephen Bell and when played further forward will be excellent.

25 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Turner is bullied too often and he mis-places too many passes. Bugs me when he blames folk for his mistakes too, but he is fairly young still to be fair.

I think he can improve but he needs to work for it and fight for his place. The current squad would mean him starting regardless. He not shown enough to be a starter next year imo. He got a few goals when he first signed which bought him brownie points. No way Stevie will settle on his current central midfield options. Following on from the scapegoat stuff. I'm fairly content with where the Pars are just now, think Craw did OK considering the mess he inherited, I would say scapegoats are only created in times of crisis. My views on Turner are without prejudice. Simply an observation of what I've seen so far. 

Yep, simply looking at him and his performances objectively and you notice all the mistakes. Thomson, Beadling were better players but perhaps he has more potential. He was playing deeper than his usual position, for me he’s an attacking midfielder.

It’s an area of the pitch we’ve struggled to fill despite having some promising players and good signings. Byrne, Herron, Joe Thomson, Beadling etc.

Last great one was Bell before injury. Geggan and Falkingham maybe.

6 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Regarding kozma and Cardle there’s no doubt that kozma is a higher calibre of player having played international level and for Liverpool.

Watching them at the pars, even though I was young, I could sense frustration amongst fans at times at kozma and wanting him to win games on his own like the st mirren game. I think Cardle had games like that as well but overall did more per game more regularly than Itsvan.

kozma, better player

Cardle, did more for the pars

Again, he played for Liverpool in the early 90s and is *still* regarded as one of the all-time worst signings ever.

Kozma is remembered for being incredible in one game against St Mirren and due to our support’s usual reaction of spaffing in our boxers at the mere sight of a player from outside the UK.

Cardle did *far* more in a Pars shirt and it’s not even remotely debatable.

I also fail to understand the issue with bringing him in. It’s not like he’ll be first choice and he could help with the coaching as well. Will the zero fans in the stand start giving him stick if he has a bad game?

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

13 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I think we'll sign two, a keeper and a centre mid, and then get a further two loans. I'd say we need two wingers, a Frank Ross/Mcdonald scenario. 

After we sign another centre mid we'd had Todd and Allan as back up, IMO Todd absolutely has the potential and I really like him, at the period towards the end of the season before last he was playing reasonably well, he had a bad injury last season and came in later, with a full pre season hopefully he'd realise his potential. We're undoubtedly going to have a smaller squad so we'll need to use our better youth players as squad players. 

I'd agree with this, defensively we are fine, forward wise unless one of McCann/McGill goes somewhere, we don't need another forward.  Perhaps even one winger on loan would do it given that Thomas and Dow (hopefully) start most games, might be tricky to attract two decent loan options on the wing if their playing time is likely to be limited. 

While Thomas and Dow will start most games, what happens when one of them is having an off game, or one is injured? We have literally no cover out wide, none of this nonsense about Turner being able to play there. We need at least one wide midfielder, after a goalkeeper it's our most needed position. 

46 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

While Thomas and Dow will start most games, what happens when one of them is having an off game, or one is injured? We have literally no cover out wide, none of this nonsense about Turner being able to play there. We need at least one wide midfielder, after a goalkeeper it's our most needed position. 

I think most of the cover positions will be loan deals which won’t be happening until the Premiership has been up and running and squads are sorted out.

I like Turner but he didn’t make the impact I expected last season. Really wanted to see him nail down his place and dominate games but it was a firmly 6/10 campaign.

Not sure where McManus and O’Hara signing up leaves McCann and McGill. Perhaps one of them will be shifted out wide?

3 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I think most of the cover positions will be loan deals which won’t be happening until the Premiership has been up and running and squads are sorted out.

I like Turner but he didn’t make the impact I expected last season. Really wanted to see him nail down his place and dominate games but it was a firmly 6/10 campaign.

Not sure where McManus and O’Hara signing up leaves McCann and McGill. Perhaps one of them will be shifted out wide?

It leaves them as reserve/back up striker I'd imagine, our preferred starting 11 won't play every single minute of the season, McCann and McGill will get their chance. 

Craw likes a loan wide player and they're usually decent. 

39 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

It leaves them as reserve/back up striker I'd imagine, our preferred starting 11 won't play every single minute of the season, McCann and McGill will get their chance. 

Craw likes a loan wide player and they're usually decent. 

There will be even fewer chances in a reduced season though, where McCann especially should be looking to play every week.

I know a few clubs tried to get him on loan but Pars didn’t want to let him go out so he must be well regarded.

Edit - For every Dom Thomas and Greg Kiltie, there’s a Dylan Duncan and Josh Coley.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

3 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

There will be even fewer chances in a reduced season though, where McCann especially should be looking to play every week.

I know a few clubs tried to get him on loan but Pars didn’t want to let him go out so he must be well regarded.

I like McCann, I'm loathe to play him out wide, can't be good for him. If we had a big enough squad where we could loan him out to a league 1/2 side to play upfront consistently for his development that'd be swell and brilliant for his development, however that would leave us very light upfront. 

It's a tough decision. 

Crawford had McCann out wide a few times but agree that he isn't suited to it.

Edwards can play on the wing, so I suppose that's an option.

Would agree on the Ethan Ross shout. Guy can play in the middle and out wide.