Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Guest Axle Grease
6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

People need to genuinely ask the question

Are clubs furloughing players to save cash or to help the players?
Bear in mind that these are the same clubs who throw players on the scrapheap every year.

Is furloghing players then dumping them helping them out? 

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It isn't a standard P&B response though, and only said 'a few people', not everyone. I never go about dribbling nonsense like 'SEETHING!' and 'YOU SEEM UPSET!'.

However, in this rare case, I have noted that a few people do seem to be angry that we signed two players, and it's down to posts like 'One of the scummiest clubs in Scotland', 'Some brass neck' and 'Fucking disgrace' (not all on this thread).

As for your second part, really disappointing to hear you try to twist things like that. I thought you were a better poster than that. I have said, on numerous occasions (and you can go back to see it all in this thread), that the club should absolutely have kept the players on furlough if they could. I questioned why they didn't when the releases were first announced. I have said that it's a shit situation that the club feel they were unable to do it, and have said that they might be wrong on that, but understand why they did it. I never said it was a good thing or that i liked it. I never said I had no sympathy for the players (I said the opposite; again documented in this thread).

I am trying like f**k to get back into caring about football and pettiness is a big part of that. 

Fife c***s. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I am trying like f**k to get back into caring about football and pettiness is a big part of that. 

Fife c***s. 

Genuinely miss this time of year without Falkirk around to tell us how you are going to win the league courtesy of signing some muppet given a free transfer from Busted. 

Delighted with Whittaker & Watson. Stevie is a good lad to have in charge in terms of being able to attract players. He has so much enthusiasm and is a great role model to players in terms of what he achieved as a player, how he looks after himself and conducts himself, his enthusiasm for the club and his admiration for the players he signs. 

Genuinely miss this time of year without Falkirk around to tell us how you are going to win the league courtesy of signing some muppet given a free transfer from Busted. 
Might go and google Tom Dallison to remind me of happier times*

*When we werent on the footballing scrap heap and the Pars weren't dumping folk on the employment scrap heap.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Might go and google Tom Dallison to remind me of happier times*

*When we werent on the footballing scrap heap and the Pars weren't dumping folk on the employment scrap heap.

Anyone leaving such as massive club ends up on the proverbial scrapheap anyway. 

I think what some fans of other teams fail to realise is that many of the 17 players released were youngsters who hadn’t kicked a ball for the first team. The sensationalist media also failed to recognise this.

I personally wouldn’t have kept any of the players released based on ability. None of them were that great and we can find better frankly.

People need to genuinely ask the question

Are clubs furloughing players to save cash or to help the players?

Bear in mind that these are the same clubs who throw players on the scrapheap every year.

There’s clearly a mutual benefit, both parties win. I doubt any footballer would turn down a couple of months of wages given the current situation. We have some out of contract players I fancy that once furlough is over we’ll offer new contracts to, and some who’ll be away but I’m sure that most of those will have been grateful to have received something of a wage. I think you’re being a bit cynical here to be honest.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
5 hours ago, Ebanda said:
"Namby pamby care in the community bollocks" emoji2359.png
Aka keeping players on 80% of a wage which would allow them to pay their bills whilst lining up another job once furlough isn't an option. 
What is it with some Dunfermline supporters not being able to acknowledge that some things their club does/has done is absolutely shite behaviour? 
They're easily one of the scummiest clubs in Scotland. 

There is a fair bit of contorting going on to justify something they would undoubtedly be getting into other teams for. Well observed.

Put an egg in yer shoe and beat it

I would honestly be far more upset with the club refusing hundreds of thousands of pounds for Nisbet than I am about players being paid exactly the money they were due in their contracts.

I’d be upset if the club accepted the first, undoubtedly unacceptable, price they’re offered for Nisbet when the buying club can afford to spend a lot more than they’ll initially offer.

I’d be upset if the club accepted the first, undoubtedly unacceptable, price they’re offered for Nisbet when the buying club can afford to spend a lot more than they’ll initially offer.

The final offer received in January for Nisbet, if it was as much as I’ve seen reported, seemed a pretty fair one and about as much as a Championship club can usually expect for a player. The logic was that you’d be better off keeping him. He did help keep you up and you could have expected the same amount or more in the summer. The second part is maybe not the case anymore, but we’ll see.

The final offer received in January for Nisbet, if it was as much as I’ve seen reported, seemed a pretty fair one and about as much as a Championship club can usually expect for a player. The logic was that you’d be better off keeping him. He did help keep you up and you could have expected the same amount or more in the summer. The second part is maybe not the case anymore, but we’ll see.

I don’t think the amount (whatever that was) was the issue. The problem was the timing; Nisbet leaving on or just before deadline day left us with hee haw time to find a replacement. The sensible thing was to hold onto him for the rest of the season.

13 hours ago, DAFC. said:

There’s been plenty of other clubs that have released players at the end of their contract. We are being targeted especially for some strange reason. Why? Because we have been smart with our money instead of pandering to the Namby-pamby, care-in-the-community bollocks some have spouted?

You're being targeted probably because:

1 - You were the first to publicly announce you wouldn't be extending furlough for those coming out of contract (in fact I'm not sure anyone else ever did announce it though several other clubs certainly did it).

2 - You were also the first to sign anyone new for next season along with Hearts who have been similarly sniped at for signing Gordon (and Neilson) whilst having released everyone out of contract and requested wage cuts from other players,

It's not particularly fair for snipers to target Dunfermline but given the very public way you dealt with it, and that Whittaker at least is a pretty high profile signing, it's not surprising.

13 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
13 hours ago, smpar said:

You’re clearly just assuming this as there’s no way you can actually know this?

An assumption based on a conversation my employer had with HMRC with fixed term contracts being the subject.

You know that several HMRC people also had conversations with Rangers assuring them that EBT's were perfectly legal back in the day too, right? Just because someone you get on the end of a phone doesn't see an issue doesn't mean someone else further up the chain will not eventually see an issue.

10 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Agree with this.

Evidently clubs have been given different advice as other clubs did continue to furlough players. It'll all come out in the wash as it were, but if HMRC were to chase clubs for doing the right thing and keeping players on, it'd be scandalous. It's not as if it's just mega-rich clubs that have kept players employed as several teams done likewise in this very league.

It may come out in the wash, it may not. Football is a very public and obvious example for potential attack if HMRC do want to look at it more closely. The "right thing" is a subjective opinion and not massively relevant. The Government's tone very much changed during the operation of the scheme from in the early days wanting everyone on furlough if possible, even to the extent of asking employers to re-employ staff who had left companies before the scheme began officially and extending temporary maternity cover contracts to later on suggesting that there should be a genuine intent to re-employ people before they were put on furlough. The early attitude was more about ensuring the welfare system wasn't completely overwhelmed with claims and effectively getting employers to deal with people instead. Once the scheme was actually operating and the welfare system was on top of things their attitude certainly became harder.

4 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Not so sure , advice given to our company was that everyone should be kept on furlough until either officially funding ends or business restarts  ( whichever comes first ) with the exception of business closing down then all employees should be made redundant , misuse of tax money ! They would just be entitled to some other benefits so would still be coming out of money earned through tax 

Your own "day job" employer presumably? Lachlan Cameron said on radio that Ayr extended furlough without taking any legal advice but after one of his directors had read through HMRC guidance on it. It's very unlikely many people would be entitled to as much in benefits as they got by remaining furloughed, even if at 80% so there is certainly a cost to the Govt in doing so. The idea that it's six and two three's is pretty inaccurate.

27 minutes ago, smpar said:

I don’t think the amount (whatever that was) was the issue. The problem was the timing; Nisbet leaving on or just before deadline day left us with hee haw time to find a replacement. The sensible thing was to hold onto him for the rest of the season.

Maybe, maybe not. Obviously nobody could have foreseen a global pandemic shutting down football for 6 months or so coming but if it was really the sort of numbers that were reported at the time then turning it down was very brave. He could equally have broken his leg or just completely lost form and been worth half as much 6 months later. Last day or not, it was a pretty ballsy refusal. Hopefully still the right decision.

Maybe, maybe not. Obviously nobody could have foreseen a global pandemic shutting down football for 6 months or so coming but if it was really the sort of numbers that were reported at the time then turning it down was very brave. He could equally have broken his leg or just completely lost form and been worth half as much 6 months later. Last day or not, it was a pretty ballsy refusal. Hopefully still the right decision.

Yeah always difficult to accept a last minute bid but a few clubs have lived to regret it. Aberdeen once rejected something silly like 7.5 Million for Scott McKenna.