Walking Down The Halbeath Road

You’re clearly just assuming this as there’s no way you can actually know this?
An assumption based on a conversation my employer had with HMRC with fixed term contracts being the subject.

4 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Clubs wont be pursued for "cheating" furlough, by extending contracts on a month by month basis. 100%.

Agree with this.

4 hours ago, mac.i said:

It really does, if you are given incorrect but insured professional advice you have protection as a business in that you can claim against the advisors insurance to mitigate any fine etc.

Ignore that advice or not seek insured advice and you are screwed if HMRC come after you......

Directors would not be fulfilling their duties as Directors and could be held personally liable if the act to the detriment of the business.

Evidently clubs have been given different advice as other clubs did continue to furlough players. It'll all come out in the wash as it were, but if HMRC were to chase clubs for doing the right thing and keeping players on, it'd be scandalous. It's not as if it's just mega-rich clubs that have kept players employed as several teams done likewise in this very league.

I think Dunfermline are having this leveled at them more than any other club due to the sheer amount you let go (I get that this would have likely been the case anyway) is a headline catcher and then you've subsequently signed players one of which will likely be on a very good wage for this level.

Guest Axle Grease

We'll have made decisions based on what is best for the club. I'm sure with everyone being treated both legally correctly and with respect. 

I think our Boards ethics are pretty good and I also believe from a financial perspective, pretty sound. 

We haven't got everything right under Ross McArthur but we've a good chance of coming through this Covid-19 pandemic relatively unscathed as a club under his tenureship. 

I'm glad we're backing Crawfords ambitions right now in the transfer market. That's what the club should be doing. We've got to start planning for playing football again.

7 hours ago, DAFC. said:

pandering to the Namby-pamby, care-in-the-community bollocks some have spouted?

"Namby pamby care in the community bollocks" 🤦🏻‍♂️

Aka keeping players on 80% of a wage which would allow them to pay their bills whilst lining up another job once furlough isn't an option. 

What is it with some Dunfermline supporters not being able to acknowledge that some things their club does/has done is absolutely shite behaviour? 

They're easily one of the scummiest clubs in Scotland. 

17 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

"Namby pamby care in the community bollocks" 🤦🏻‍♂️

Aka keeping players on 80% of a wage which would allow them to pay their bills whilst lining up another job once furlough isn't an option. 

What is it with some Dunfermline supporters not being able to acknowledge that some things their club does/has done is absolutely shite behaviour? 

Dog eat dog world little teamer. That's why we are a much bigger club than Rovers. 

Edited by Chubbychops

"Namby pamby care in the community bollocks" [emoji2359]
There is a fair bit of contorting going on to justify something they would undoubtedly be getting into other teams for. Well observed.

18 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
23 hours ago, 101 said:
Agreed, anyone arguing someone who has played in the top flight in England and Scotland as well as having 31 international caps has less to offer our younger players than a mid table jobber who has been steady his entire career with limited caps for a smaller country is rather odd indeed.

Felt it was a very shabby way to treat the club captain who had a big influence last season.

He signed a 1 year deal and was paid in full that to me isn't shabby

14 hours ago, Rob1885 said:
14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
Why would you, or anyone but the chairman or board, have been privy to the details of the advice they received (from two sources)?
It wasn't an easy choice, thus two sources, and it might be that the advice was wrong, but we just keep coming back to the risk not being worth it.
When do the contracts of the new signings start from? Also the players who didn't get furloughed for another month would be gone by tomorrow anyway, so no one would be getting wages before others.

It doesnt matter what the source of the advice is or who its given to if it's incorrect. The risk to the club for extending the furlough scheme for players out of contract at the end of May till the end of June or July - minimal/non-existent.

Big difference between minimal and non existent especially when your company has virtually no cash reserves and has been in hot water with HMRC before. Not worth the risk.

10 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Clubs wont be pursued for "cheating" furlough, by extending contracts on a month by month basis. 100%.

Unless you are the Chancellor you can't possibly know this. If anything I think the Prime Minister has confirmed the complete opposite. The Government will be penniless why wouldn't they come after companies flouting the rules it's a total misuse of our tax.

19 minutes ago, 101 said:

Unless you are the Chancellor you can't possibly know this. If anything I think the Prime Minister has confirmed the complete opposite. The Government will be penniless why wouldn't they come after companies flouting the rules it's a total misuse of our tax.

Not so sure , advice given to our company was that everyone should be kept on furlough until either officially funding ends or business restarts  ( whichever comes first ) with the exception of business closing down then all employees should be made redundant , misuse of tax money ! They would just be entitled to some other benefits so would still be coming out of money earned through tax 

The reaction to the club signing a couple of players has been odd. Quite a a few fans of other teams seem genuinely angry at it and others seem to have a real issue with it. 

Of course some of them are purposely ignoring the facts and trying to create a selective narrative for point scoring (point scoring is supremely tragic), but others do seem to legitimately be rather angry at it.

Very foolish.

Edited by DA Baracus

This post doesnt square with your dislike of standard P&B replies. "Genuinely angry" and such like. Your stance on this also doesnt square with your usual morality on various issues.

The reaction to the club signing a couple of players has been odd. Quite a a few fans of other teams seem genuinely angry at it and others seem to have a real issue with it. 
Of course some of them are purposely ignoring the facts and trying to create a selective narrative, but others do seem to legitimately be rather angry at it.
Very foolish.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Of course some of them are purposely ignoring the facts and trying to create a selective narrative for point scoring (point scoring is supremely tragic), but others do seem to legitimately be rather angry at it.

Very foolish.

Agree with you , no matter what happened with furlough Dunfermline done what was right for their club and like every other club all their focus should be on assembling a team for the coming season now , 

Where do you draw the line on fairness?

How can rovers win league one when there's a few games left and only one point ahead of falkirk and still have to play them?

Is that right? I wouldn't be jumping up and down demanding equal anything if that happened to us.

I'm not saying furloughing anyone or not furloughing people is right or wrong but keeping people on a contract when you have no intention of honouring it is a bit off.

Airplane and travel companies now doing exactly that.

"How can we reduce the wage bill but also keep staff because things may pick up again?"

"Things aren't picking up, OK sack them all"

Its hard to say whats exactly moral, business is harsh and the players would have been let go now anyway.

1000 players in England released today, 1000 wages paid for months when they were basically out of a job anyway.

Wheres the criticism for top level clubs for scrapping their youth setup?

Is that not far worse? That's an entire career potentially ruined.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This post doesnt square with your dislike of standard P&B replies. "Genuinely angry" and such like. Your stance on this also doesnt square with your usual morality on various issues.

It isn't a standard P&B response though, and only said 'a few people', not everyone. I never go about dribbling nonsense like 'SEETHING!' and 'YOU SEEM UPSET!'.

However, in this rare case, I have noted that a few people do seem to be angry that we signed two players, and it's down to posts like 'One of the scummiest clubs in Scotland', 'Some brass neck' and 'Fucking disgrace' (not all on this thread).

As for your second part, really disappointing to hear you try to twist things like that. I thought you were a better poster than that. I have said, on numerous occasions (and you can go back to see it all in this thread), that the club should absolutely have kept the players on furlough if they could. I questioned why they didn't when the releases were first announced. I have said that it's a shit situation that the club feel they were unable to do it, and have said that they might be wrong on that, but understand why they did it. I never said it was a good thing or that i liked it. I never said I had no sympathy for the players (I said the opposite; again documented in this thread).

A very simple reason for that; some people have appeared to be genuinely angry at the club. He’s a long way off the “seething” type stuff you refer to.

Can someone please compile a list of:

clubs that have released players and cut the wages of remaining players

Clubs that have released players and are paying 80% of remaining players wages

Clubs that have released players but continue to pay 100% of wages

Clubs that have kept all their players on at 80% of wages

Clubs that have not released anybody and are paying 100% of wages for everyone.