Walking Down The Halbeath Road

So you think it was worth the risk?
I remain to be convinced there is/was a risk.

Even if there is, I'd rather take care of players that were on our books at the start of this pandemic than signing new players and paying them full whack from the get go.

Just now, Rob1885 said:

I remain to be convinced there is/was a risk.

Even if there is, I'd rather take care of players that were on our books at the start of this pandemic than signing new players and paying them full whack from the get go.

Why would you, or anyone but the chairman or board, have been privy to the details of the advice they received (from two sources)?

It wasn't an easy choice, thus two sources, and it might be that the advice was wrong, but we just keep coming back to the risk not being worth it.

When do the contracts of the new signings start from? Also the players who didn't get furloughed for another month would be gone by tomorrow anyway, so no one would be getting wages before others.

Why would you, or anyone but the chairman or board, have been privy to the details of the advice they received (from two sources)?
It wasn't an easy choice, thus two sources, and it might be that the advice was wrong, but we just keep coming back to the risk not being worth it.
When do the contracts of the new signings start from? Also the players who didn't get furloughed for another month would be gone by tomorrow anyway, so no one would be getting wages before others.
It doesnt matter what the source of the advice is or who its given to if it's incorrect. The risk to the club for extending the furlough scheme for players out of contract at the end of May till the end of June or July - minimal/non-existent.

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:
9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It doesnt matter what the source of the advice is or who its given to if it's incorrect. The risk to the club for extending the furlough scheme for players out of contract at the end of May till the end of June or July - minimal/non-existent.

It quite clearly matters who the source is. Other clubs have had similar advice and have done the same.

It quite clearly matters who the source is. Other clubs have had similar advice and have done the same.
It doesnt matter who the source is if the advice is incorrect. Wrong advice is wrong advice.

54 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
56 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It doesnt matter who the source is if the advice is incorrect. Wrong advice is wrong advice.

How do you know it's wrong? At this point no one does. It may well be, but how can you be so sure?

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

How do you know it's wrong? At this point no one does. It may well be, but how can you be so sure?

I don’t think anyone was giving wrong information, no guidance has been breached at clubs who continued with the scheme , at Ayr players were kept as they had not decided who they were keeping at that stage , if Dunfermline had decided the players were going to be leaving them , although it’s not nice what they done it was right for their business , technically those players could not be talking to other clubs during furlough so let them go and give them a chance to negotiate contracts elsewhere , 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

There’s a good chance we will never know if the advice was correct or not.   If HMRC pursues/doesn’t pay put to clubs for furloughing players they were never intending on keeping then we’ll know it was correct but that information is unlikely to become public.

Alternatively if extending furlough to then release players is accepted by HMRC that doesn’t automatically mean the club is wrong.

Advising that a coin flip is 50/50 is the entirely correct advice regardless is it ends up heads or tails.

Players that left were paid for months without having to do anything, some of them didn’t do anything from the moment they signed their contracts.

They were paid all the money they were due and I have no qualms over the action taken. It’s going to be a bad time for a lot of people who earned a lot less than professional footballers and my sympathies lie more with them.

It really does, if you are given incorrect but insured professional advice you have protection as a business in that you can claim against the advisors insurance to mitigate any fine etc.

Ignore that advice or not seek insured advice and you are screwed if HMRC come after you......

Directors would not be fulfilling their duties as Directors and could be held personally liable if the act to the detriment of the business.

Players that left were paid for months without having to do anything, some of them didn’t do anything from the moment they signed their contracts.
They were paid all the money they were due and I have no qualms over the action taken. It’s going to be a bad time for a lot of people who earned a lot less than professional footballers and my sympathies lie more with them.

Agree with this until the sentiment of the last sentence. The 17 Dunfermline players who didn’t have their contracts renewed were probably earning around the nation’s average wage, some over it some under it. You knew this though.
You don’t need to force yourself to not feel sorry for footballers (especially at this level) going without a wage for a few months because you perceive these guys to be insanely rich people who can easily go without income for an uncertain period of time.

I’m also not so sure about the “didn’t do anything since signing for the club” claim.
Clubs wont be pursued for "cheating" furlough, by extending contracts on a month by month basis. 100%.

You’re clearly just assuming this as there’s no way you can actually know this?

There’s been plenty of other clubs that have released players at the end of their contract. We are being targeted especially for some strange reason. Why? Because we have been smart with our money instead of pandering to the Namby-pamby, care-in-the-community bollocks some have spouted?

I’d honestly have been raging if we kept Ashcroft and Paton knowing full well we could have got Watson and Whittaker.