Walking Down The Halbeath Road

I’m still basing the starting XI with Nisbet in mind until he is away, but if we add Dom Thomas and Declan McManus, that is the makings of a bloody good team.

Agreed, anyone arguing someone who has played in the top flight in England and Scotland as well as having 31 international caps has less to offer our younger players than a mid table jobber who has been steady his entire career with limited caps for a smaller country is rather odd indeed.
Felt it was a very shabby way to treat the club captain who had a big influence last season.

McManus is a good player, especially at League One level, more of a 10-15 goals a season striker at this level I suspect, but he works very hard and I’d take him back for sure. He was fairly pish when with us though, but given the management he had that’s not surprising. He just doesn’t look like a footballer though, he has the appearance of some gaiket fan who’s just wandered into the pitch.

15 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
4 hours ago, 101 said:
Agreed, anyone arguing someone who has played in the top flight in England and Scotland as well as having 31 international caps has less to offer our younger players than a mid table jobber who has been steady his entire career with limited caps for a smaller country is rather odd indeed.

Felt it was a very shabby way to treat the club captain who had a big influence last season.

Do you think the club should have ignored the advice just for him? 

Don't agree about 'shabby' treatment at all. Unfortunate is far more apt.

Felt he was deserving of a new deal so aye, shabby.

9 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
33 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Totally disagree.

What are you basing this on?

He did the absolute bare minimum, nothing special at all. He never changed games for us, unlike guys like Nisbet or Dom Thomas. Whittaker is a brilliant replacement. I didn’t think Paton deserved an extension as he wasn’t taking us to that next level,unless we’re happy with mid-table obscurity now.

He did the absolute bare minimum, nothing special at all. He never changed games for us, unlike guys like Nisbet or Dom Thomas. Whittaker is a brilliant replacement. I didn’t think Paton deserved an extension as he wasn’t taking us to that next level,unless we’re happy with mid-table obscurity now.
Basing it on numerous performances last season, no less the Utd home win. Clearly had players looking up to him and was an ever present in the centre of midfield, keeping Beadling and Thomson out the team. Was best captain we'd had in some time.

2 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
14 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Basing it on numerous performances last season, no less the Utd home win. Clearly had players looking up to him and was an ever present in the centre of midfield, keeping Beadling and Thomson out the team. Was best captain we'd had in some time.

Perhaps Crawford had been planning to replace him anyway. Supposedly he (Crawford) starts his business of looking at targets really early, so perhaps he was in talks with Whittaker's agent for a while, even before the pandemic, and knew he was going to get an upgrade on Paton?

Or he might have just thought that Paton didn't offer enough to warrant a new contract?

Still not seeing how Paton was treated shabbily. Managers don't offer contracts to players every single season.

1 minute ago, Rob1885 said:
1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:
Lots of other players were not offered a new contract. Were they treated in a shabby manner?

Most of them, I'd say so.

A very odd stance. 

So the club should never not offer players a new contract? 

I find that absolutely bizarre.

Paton was almost the Mason guy of the team. Kept things mostly simple, broke up play and let others like Kiltie, Thomas and Nisbet do all the damage. It also goes a long way to have a character like him picking up the team spirit and holding the dressing room.

In saying that, I'm delighted to get Whittaker as a replacement. Massive updrades each year on eh, Willo Flood.

A very odd stance. 

So the club should never not offer players a new contract? 

I find that absolutely bizarre.

I'd have expected the club to make full use of the furlough scheme before signing new players.

You dont have to agree but it's far from absolutely bizarre.

Just now, Rob1885 said:

I'd have expected the club to make full use of the furlough scheme before signing new players.

You dont have to agree but it's far from absolutely bizarre.

The furlough scheme situation has been explained multiple times.

Is it that you just don't agree with the advice the club took or are you just ignoring it? 

I think most would have liked to have seen the club keep the players on furlough for the extra month, but the risk was too high.

It wasn't like the players were lied to. They were told straight up. An unfortunate situation but I'm still not seeing shabby treatment there.

Paton did way better than I was expecting but had very limited ability as a footballer. Stevie clearly though he could replace the old head in midfield role with a better player. Time will tell if he's right. My hunch is that he's got it bang on but you can never tell when a player hits 36.

In terms of bad treatment I don't get that. He was paid to the end of his contract that he agreed. What if Paton left for another club when his contract ended. Would he have treated the Pars shabbily?  I wouldn't say so.

Is it that you just don't agree with the advice the club took or are you just ignoring it? 
I think most would have liked to have seen the club keep the players on furlough for the extra month, but the risk was too high.
It wasn't like the players were lied to. They were told straight up. An unfortunate situation but I'm still not seeing shabby treatment there.
Dont agree with it, no.

2 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Dont agree with it, no.

So you think it was worth the risk?