Walking Down The Halbeath Road

You really are a joyless, negative b*****d at times.
Murray can and has played midfield. Likewise Edwards. And if you read the article on Whittaker you would have seen that he has too.
Guys thay can cover multiple positions are a good option for the squad, especially if cash is tight and the squad will be much reduced from previous, which seems likely.
It was a joke but it does seem that Edwards and Lang are going to be bit part players again. I guess lower wages mean we can afford to keep them in reseves but I'd have liked to see them given a chance.
If we sign the same quality for the rest of the squad then it will be excellent but we have previous for signing unbalanced squads recently.

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

It was a joke but it does seem that Edwards and Lang are going to be bit part players again. I guess lower wages mean we can afford to keep them in reseves but I'd have liked to see them given a chance.
If we sign the same quality for the rest of the squad then it will be excellent but we have previous for signing unbalanced squads recently.

Are you genuinely suggesting that one manager has to follow the model of his predecessor in signings? That he can't actually be different and that, inexplicably, a single season under a different coaching/management team must now be the transfer model going forward?

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yes. He's only on a one year contract.

Hold up; we're dying at the end of the season?! Shit. What's the diagnosis?

Presumably with United promoted the Championship need an Admin Friday club, happy to pick up the gauntlet

Are you genuinely suggesting that one manager has to follow the model of his predecessor in signings? That he can't actually be different and that, inexplicably, a single season under a different coaching/management team must now be the transfer model going forward?
It was never a model but its happened under AJ and Crawford to an extent.
No problems with Watson but with Whittaker its going to push out lang and Edwards. I thought that our policy was bringing players through?
Will wait and see what happens maybe SW will be a bench player?

1 minute ago, D.A.F.C said:

No problems with Watson but with Whittaker its going to push out lang and Edwards. I thought that our policy was bringing players through?

Allan Johnston's transfer windows are absolutely irrelevant here.

We have no idea if or where Whittaker will play. I think I'll wait before criticising his signing for not being in line with the (not even a year in) policy of signing and developing younger players.

At what point did Crawford sign an unbalanced squad to any extent exactly? He cleared up AJs mess first half season and last season signed very sensibly squad wise. Some of the players maybe didn't set the heather alight. 

Seems like pish spraffing and trying to backtrack.

14 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Lang and Edwards need to perform better than than Watson and Whittaker when given the chance then. From reading Craws comments last week, the youth approach wasn't mentioned and he did say that getting experience in was on his cheklist. I think our policy might be to start getting into the play-off spots, regardless of players age.

Last season we had too many defenders imo.
Not all of that was down to Crawford but he did sign lang and Edwards.
This is getting blown out of proportion, we have signed two experienced defensive players when many already said we had enough cover there already.
Its not a bad thing but I think its fair to ask questions about squad balance and giving youngsters a chance.
If we are signing the same quality throughout then it will be great.

Quite a surprise that.  But I think he ticks a lot of boxes in terms of experience and ability to cover multiple positions.  I’m guessing his legs are totally gone and he’s probably mainly going to be cover. Given our strength at full back I think if he’s going to be a starter it will be in midfield.

As for Lang/Edwards.  Lang can definitely be disappointed on last season and could hope for more games this year.   But unless Edwards has spent lockdown learning how to play football then making  sure we have sufficient cover to make sure he never needs to play is a important part of our business this year.  If he wants to play more he can drop down to a more suitable level

Edited by parsforlife

Lang and Edwards need to perform better than than Watson and Whittaker when given the chance then. From reading Craws comments last week, the youth approach wasn't mentioned and he did say that getting experience in was on his cheklist. I think our policy might be to start getting into the play-off spots, regardless of players age.
I doubt they're going to completely bin off last summers approach. It was far from a disaster although the more established players we signed were more successful than some of the gambles.

Reading Crawford's comments on the new signings, it appears that Whitaker has been signed as a midfielder. Think he's has taken the Paton role. Looking at Hibs fans comments, they seem to think he will be a very good signing. Apparently too slow for wide areas but plenty footballing ability to offer still in midfield. 

Whittaker will stroll this league if he’s just used as a player to fill gaps, much like in the same mould as Paton. Gives us plenty options and a much better player with much better experience than Paton. Definitely a winner there.

I see we have managed to rattle a good few cages with these signings. Good.

Whittaker will stroll this league if he’s just used as a player to fill gaps, much like in the same mould as Paton. Gives us plenty options and a much better player with much better experience than Paton. Definitely a winner there.

Agreed on Whittaker. According to Hibees I’ve spoken to he was quite good for them in a midfield role.

Few cages rattled is just the icing on the cake. Tremendous day for the Pars.

19 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

It's quite strange.

Most other fans seem to think Watson is either a decent or at least solid signing. Some think that Whittaker can do a job in thai league, some think he might struggle. Can see both sides there.

There are a couple of Rovers and Falkirk though who are absolutely desperate to believe that both are shite and no better than what we have. One Falkirk fan is even making up that we released Ashcroft when in fact he was offered, and rejected, a new contract.

Then there's the Falkirk fan who was claiming that we were, and still are, paying 'by far' the highest wages in the league (last season and now for the forthcoming season) and that the two signings today are proof of that. Seemingly both will be on 'huge' wages.

Why do folk invent stuff like that when there's so much evidence that shows how silly and untrue it is? I get fans of rival clubs hoping the signings will play shit, but making things up that are easily disproven is just so pointless.

We’ll definitely be paying more than Hearts will in wages. That’s a certainty.

Ashcroft won’t be missed. As much as he was a solid enough defender, we’ve replaced him with a title-winner with so much experience at the top end of the Championship.

We just need to add McManus and the whole of Falkirk/Grangemouth will implode.

Guest Axle Grease
7 hours ago, DAFC. said:

We’ll definitely be paying more than Hearts will in wages. That’s a certainty.

How do you come to that conclusion?