Walking Down The Halbeath Road

1 minute ago, weetoonlad said:

Callum Smith a two year deal at Hamilton. God knows what clubs see in him 

Alloa on loan Disaster 

Arbroath on loan Disaster 

Airdrie on loan Poor 

I might be wrong but how can he make an impact in the top flight. 

Over the past three years was very rarely in the pars first team Squad 

Possibly just at wrong club at wrong time

Shankland

Morton Disaster

St Mirren poor

Dunfermline poor

Ayr United outstanding 

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye I think he scored a couple against us at EEP back in League 1.

He was also pretty good first time round for St Mirren.

He was very decent for St Mirren IIRC, they were very excited to get him back on loan, didn't do too well on the second season right enough. 

Callum Smith a two year deal at Hamilton. God knows what clubs see in him 

Alloa on loan Disaster 

Arbroath on loan Disaster 

Airdrie on loan Poor 

I might be wrong but how can he make an impact in the top flight. 

Over the past three years was very rarely in the pars first team Squad 

He won young player of the year at Airdrie so you're mistaken. Also, I'm not really sure how a young player can be classed as a disaster even if he was poor. Which he probably wasn't and I'm guessing you have no real evidence to back this post up.

Shankland was decent for us, was a shame he got injured and never played any part in the play offs. Was disappointed not to see him return in 2017 when he was on trial. What ensued compounded that f**k up in a monumental way.

Aye Shankland looked really good when he was on loan, to the point I genuinely thought he might break into the Aberdeen team in a year or two but that didn't work out. Glad he sorted himself out and got capped for Scotland already. Despite the opposition it's still a fantastic achievement and I hope he kicks on to improve himself even further. 

Seemingly he never impressed on trial, and not just at us. Think Morton had him on trial as well.

He's said himself that he wasn't taking things seriously enough, especially his fitness (he was overweight and lacked strength and needed big improvements to his cardiovascular levels), and only after dropping back down to League 1 with Ayr did he really start putting in the work. Think he said something about recognizing the trajectory of his career and that he would be playing juniors in a few years if he didn't commit herself.

Thankfully for him he did, and credits being in the right environment at Ayr (think McCall really helped him with the mental side and Moff really helped him with the fitness) for that. He lost fat but put on muscle and worked hard at strength training as well as really improving his cardiovascular stuff.

Good on him. Too many young players don't put in the effort and it shows. We lose far too many guys simply because they coast and don't work hard enough. He's shown that talent alone isn't enough and has worked hard to improve himself, and he's now playing in the Premiership and for Scotland. Well deserved and an example to others.

Shankland was good when he was at us. Can remember saying at the time that he looked a bit raw but definitely a decent player in there. I’m not surprised he’s went on to do good things.

Worth remembering that Kevin Nisbet only signed for Raith on the back of a trial against Stirling, and the signing was questioned by our fans. Before that the lasting memories of him were shooting over the bar from two yards out at the away end of Stark's while playing for Ayr and hitting a penalty into the car park for Dumbarton. Signed for us and hasn't stopped scoring since. 

Scottish football has a good few players who'll be rotten at some clubs, then end up banging them in for fun at others. Smith is only 20 and still has plenty of potential to develop. 

Worth remembering that Kevin Nisbet only signed for Raith on the back of a trial against Stirling, and the signing was questioned by our fans. Before that the lasting memories of him were shooting over the bar from two yards out at the away end of Stark's while playing for Ayr and hitting a penalty into the car park for Dumbarton. Signed for us and hasn't stopped scoring since. 
Scottish football has a good few players who'll be rotten at some clubs, then end up banging them in for fun at others. Smith is only 20 and still has plenty of potential to develop. 

This happens all the time. It’s not just strikers. Ross Forbes was absolute turd for us and went on to smash League 1 with Morton.

Smith wasn’t rotten at Arbroath, he played a few games (can’t be bothered checking but was definitely under 5) then broke his arm and we didn’t see him again. I saw enough in those early stages to see he had a lot of good attributes.