Walking Down The Halbeath Road

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Quite honestly I think our fanbase had some of the big-time Charlie aura about it after being in the Premier Division for a couple of years.

80% of our fans think we should either be in top six of Premiership or should be embarrassed to spend any money at all. There’s very few of us in the middle ground.

Surely there will be some sort of leeway by September, say, to allow fans to attend football matches? If not and we’re in to 2021 before we see some form of normality in terms of attending football, it’s going to be extremely difficult for clubs like ours to generate any sort of income.
In before folk come and shoot you down, just have to wait and see DAFC, fingers crossed though!

The issue is we can't afford to gamble on if crowds are allowed back then or not.

Say we sign up a squad in the hope that crowds are allowed back as normal in September, meaning the club can generate income as normal, but then we get to September and are told that actually it's empty stadiums.

We'd be left unable to pay the squad and all other costs.

There needs to be a delay to the start of the season and a cut off date for a decision on if fans can attend or not.

The pessimist in me also thinks there won’t be any further Pars games in 2020. Surely if that is the case then the appropriate authorities can relax the licensing laws so we can pay equivalent of a ticket price to watch the games live in case they are played behind closed doors? Clubs will be on the bones of their arse for months to come I fear.

Campbell was told by woodrow that he wasnt yorkstons man.

I seen yorkston up the town around 6 months ago. I didnt speak to him but he did say to a person I was with that did go and speak to him that he would like to go back to eep for a game at some point.

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

Dick is an odd one.

On one hand I have a ton of respect for his work with Bert and his time as a player (even though I never saw it).

On the other hand, he's a bigot tosser.

7 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

If you're going to hate folk for being a bigot then you're going to hate a lot of people in Scotland.

Fine. I have no time for bigots.

Dick is an odd one.
On one hand I have a ton of respect for his work with Bert and his time as a player (even though I never saw it).
Nah, he is class.

Are you still hating him for that video of him joining in with some Sevco stuff in Spain or wherever it was?

The guy wasn't in a good place personally at the time and had a lot going on privately with family I believe. It's time to cut the man some slack for making a poor decision whilst having no idea where his mind was at the time. We all do stupid things when the stress levels are through the roof.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Are you still hating him for that video of him joining in with some Sevco stuff in Spain or wherever it was?

The guy wasn't in a good place personally at the time and had a lot going on privately with family I believe. It's time to cut the man some slack for making a poor decision whilst having no idea where his mind was at the time. We all do stupid things when the stress levels are through the roof.

I’d agree you don’t need to hate the man just because he sung some Rangers’ songs but c’mon now, he’s quite clearly a bit staunch.

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I've never turned in to a raging bigot when stress levels are through the roof.

I'd suggest no one does, because they already are bigots if doing such things.

Edited by DA Baracus

13 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Dick is an odd one.

Nah Dicks a great guy. 

I never find Dick Campbell to be the most endearing character, though that's entirely based on interviews I've heard rather than any personal conversation with him. Every time I hear him I'm struck by how bitter and self-absorbed he seems. About a year ago he was on the 'Off the Ball' teatime programme. I was on the way home from an away game (I think it was the shambles at Palmerston) and mentioned to my pal that when Campbell speaks, everything is always about him. By the end of it, he agreed with me on that, as it was exactly the same as other times I'd heard Campbell speak. This was at a time when Arbroath had just had a brilliant season and won their league ahead of Raith Rovers - you might reasonably expect most managers to talk a lot about the players, how well they'd played over the season and what a job they'd done to see Arbroath win the league with games to spare. But no, it just seemed to be all about Campbell himself and what he'd done.

In that 99/00 season, a lot of what's been said is true to some extent. There was a bit of a big-time attitude among many fans and I clearly remember the team being booed off after beating Ayr 2-1 at home, quite early in the season. We certainly hadn't played well and Ayr were unlucky not to come back from 2-0 to get a point, but that's the only time in 30 years I can ever remember a team getting that treatment after winning a game. However, there was a feeling that we weren't playing well generally and it was probably true. St Mirren absolutely played us off the park at East End in a game we sneaked a completely undeserved draw from - it might have been the one game in which Junior Mendes looked fantastic. There was also an iffy home display against Morton and losing a 2-0 lead at Stark's Park, probably among others that I don't have strong memories of. Campbell was sacked after losing at Love Street. He certainly had some right to be angered by it as it was the first league loss of the season, but there was certainly a mood that things were not going well.

Some bitterness about that is understandable but it's a shame that he still holds it, 20 years on, along with equally obvious bitterness about being sacked by Forfar in 2015. And maybe that's why all his talk is about him rather than his teams - he might well feel he'snever been given the credti he deserves for what he's done as a manager. It would be understandable to some degree if that is the case but, as I say, I don't find it to a very endearing character trait of his.

Bitter was certainly my over whelming feeling when he spoke at the sportsman dinner put on during admin.  He even talked about how he did all the UEFA badges etc and Paton never did, almost like he’s annoyed that Paton got all the praise from that era.