Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Went to both away games. Iceland was touch and go as unbelievably the charter plane never turned up. Eventually got there 5 minutes before kick off on a Lithuania n plane that was sent.                            

Booked with supporters club and was promised an investigation. Still waiting.  Saw f**k all of Iceland before game but got a drink till 3.00 Am afterwards. Spent about a week's wages on one drinking session.

2 hours ago, parslad said:

Went to both away games. Iceland was touch and go as unbelievably the charter plane never turned up. Eventually got there 5 minutes before kick off on a Lithuania n plane that was sent.                            

Booked with supporters club and was promised an investigation. Still waiting.  Saw f**k all of Iceland before game but got a drink till 3.00 Am afterwards. Spent about a week's wages on one drinking session.

I'd forgotten about that, absolute f**k up. 

Regarding player contracts, absolutely every out of contract should not be re-signed and no signings should be made until we know when we can play football in front of crowds again.

The club need to reduce costs as much as possible just now. As harsh as it sounds, we don't owe any players not under contract a living. I'd love if the club were able to offer a safety net to everyone currently under contract, but I don't think they can. We unfortunately cannot be responsible for them.

Who knows when the furlough scheme will end? It will end though, and then we'll be having to find the money to pay everyone in full with no income. 

If the SPFL stupidly decide to play games behind closed doors, we'll be in serious trouble, as we'll need to somehow assemble a squad a pay for it and all the staff and associated costs with putting on and getting the team to games with very little income.

It looks increasingly like tough choices need to be made to guarantee the survival of the club. Player wages are the biggest outgoing, so until the club is able to start generating income on the same levels again, that cost needs to be kept as low as possible, or it is feasible, perhaps even likely, that the club won't survive.

I'm sure this sounds melodramatic to many, but it's the reality. We can't generate matchday income, or income from season tickets, and sponsorship money will be hard to come by (which sponsors will be paying for advertising boards etc until the season starts and in front of fans)? Basically the club is going to be seriously challenged to get to a time when football can resume in front of crowds.

I agree and sadly that's the reality of how things are for almost all our clubs. 

If games are allowed to take place elsewhere, we should relocate the whole league there. Infact we should be applying to get our games played in Belarus right now!

On 22/04/2020 at 13:48, DA Baracus said:

Who knows when the furlough scheme will end? It will end though, and then we'll be having to find the money to pay everyone in full with no income. 

If the SPFL stupidly decide to play games behind closed doors, we'll be in serious trouble, as we'll need to somehow assemble a squad a pay for it and all the staff and associated costs with putting on and getting the team to games with very little income.

We still have another month to see if we have any more info comes out.  With how quickly things change I’m not sure it’s wise to make any decision until you need to.  In that time we might hear of a date when furlough will end or possibly an extension announced. We might have a better idea of when we’ll be playing again or if UEFA are going to release funding.   

Based on current info probably best to put anyone out of contract on rolling monthly deals.  That means they still get payed under furlough but we can cancel the contract quite quickly if the scheme ends and we still have no idea on when we can play.  

As far as I’m aware we are topping up wages to 100% currently? We should try and keep this up but it does look likely that we won’t be able to continue that indefinitely, I trust the board to have a good idea on when that point will be, I would think they will have a fair idea on what to expect from fundraising(this will likely reduce tho), what our costs are to run at the current level(skeleton staff, bills) and what it costs to top up staff/player wages on a monthly basis.  We should be discussing with those furloughed over when we may need to reduce/stop the top up.

Agreed closed doors is insane. If that happens i genuinely think it will be laughable. I can’t see how clubs will be able to recruit pros to play for them, we’d end up playing Nisbet/Dow etc and then the rest of the side would be amateur

Edited by parsforlife

Ashcroft for me.

Nisbet's was delightful, as was Thomas'.

I think Beadling's is included just for the scenes during the celebration. Easily the best celebrated goal of the season. Big noisy crowd jumping all over the place. Brilliant stuff. Think we would have won had we got to penalties. Very unlucky. Also forgot about the sitter Nisbet missed first half (fairly early on). Later on in the season and he'd have had that in the net I think.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

We still have another month to see if we have any more info comes out.  With how quickly things change I’m not sure it’s wise to make any decision until you need to.  In that time we might hear of a date when furlough will end or possibly an extension announced. We might have a better idea of when we’ll be playing again or if UEFA are going to release funding.   

Based on current info probably best to put anyone out of contract on rolling monthly deals.  That means they still get payed under furlough but we can cancel the contract quite quickly if the scheme ends and we still have no idea on when we can play.  

As far as I’m aware we are topping up wages to 100% currently? We should try and keep this up but it does look likely that we won’t be able to continue that indefinitely, I trust the board to have a good idea on when that point will be, I would think they will have a fair idea on what to expect from fundraising(this will likely reduce tho), what our costs are to run at the currency level(skeleton staff, bills) and what it costs to top up staff/player wages on a monthly basis.  We should be discussing with those furloughed over when we may need to reduce/stop the top up.

Agreed closed doors is insane. If that happens i genuinely think it will be laughable. I can’t see how clubs will be able to recruit pros to play for them, we’d end up playing Nisbet/Dow etc and then the rest of the side would be amateur

As harsh as it is, I think that once contracts come to an end that should be it. I think the club are ensuring 100% of wages are being paid, so that saves some cash. I don't think they should be giving out any further contracts for anyone, not just those out of contract, until we know when we will be playing in front of crowds. The club need to start saving as much as soon as possible. It sounds nasty but we are not responsible to players when their contract is up. It would be great if the club could afford it but I don't see how they can, especially if football is on pause until next year. A shit situation.

It's very grim for footballers at this level coming to the end of their contract. The harsh reality might be that they need to try and find other employment for a year. There will be a lot of players across the league who will soon be out of contract.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Ashcroft for me.

Nisbet's was delightful, as was Thomas'.

I think Beadling's is included just for the scenes during the celebration. Easily the best celebrated goal of the season. Big noisy crowd jumping all over the place. Brilliant stuff. Think we would have won had we got to penalties. Very unlucky. Also forgot about the sitter Nisbet missed first half (fairly early on). Later on in the season and he'd have had that in the net I think.

Ashcroft also bodied in the box late on, clear pen. Was a really enjoyable game, seeing Celtic fans apoplectic with rage because a wee boy gave them the finger was better than the goal. Actually reporting it to the police.

:lol:

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Ashcroft also bodied in the box late on, clear pen. Was a really enjoyable game, seeing Celtic fans apoplectic with rage because a wee boy gave them the finger was better than the goal. Actually reporting it to the police.

:lol:

After the game we walked back along to the pub we were in pre-match (McCoy's I think) and loads of Celtic fans were absolutely fuming as we passed them.

The few in the pub were (mostly) ok.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

As harsh as it is, I think that once contracts come to an end that should be it. I think the club are ensuring 100% of wages are being paid, so that saves some cash. I don't think they should be giving out any further contracts for anyone, not just those out of contract, until we know when we will be playing in front of crowds. The club need to start saving as much as soon as possible. It sounds nasty but we are not responsible to players when their contract is up. It would be great if the club could afford it but I don't see how they can, especially if football is on pause until next year. A shit situation.

It's very grim for footballers at this level coming to the end of their contract. The harsh reality might be that they need to try and find other employment for a year. There will be a lot of players across the league who will soon be out of contract.

It makes zero sense to not offer out of contract players a rolling short term deal whilst furlough is in place, even if that means them only getting 80%.  It costs the club nothing. 

35 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It makes zero sense to not offer out of contract players a rolling short term deal whilst furlough is in place, even if that means them only getting 80%.  It costs the club nothing. 

I thought you couldn't furlough players if they were offered a new contract?

Would be all for that if you could.

25 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I thought you couldn't furlough players if they were offered a new contract?

Would be all for that if you could.

Skyline drifter confirmed your ok to re-new contracts.  Must be before they end and if you change the wage furlough only cover 80% of the lower figure.

Do we have a non-goal moment of the season?  Seemed to miss out on one this year.

Things like Fleming putting tade on the railway track or falkingham out jumping Stevenson(ok that lead to a goal, but was funny in itself) have been winners in the past.

eta.  Wedderturns as well.  Suppose don Thomas’ impression can be a candidate for this year 

Edited by parsforlife

37 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Do we have a non-goal moment of the season?  Seemed to miss out on one this year.

Things like Fleming putting tade on the railway track or falkingham out jumping Stevenson(ok that lead to a goal, but was funny in itself) have been winners in the past.

eta.  Wedderturns as well.  Suppose don Thomas’ impression can be a candidate for this year 

Glorious, I remember laughing at how he didn’t get a red. Didn’t falkingham assault a Raith player straight from the kickoff once also?

Just now, D.A.F.C said:

Glorious, I remember laughing at how he didn’t get a red. Didn’t falkingham assault a Raith player straight from the kickoff once also?

Yes. His first derby. Rovers kick off, play ball wide and falkingham comes charging in and absolutely smashes the guy,