Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Signing could be good but the way we got about things is baffling at times.

Ryan dropped out despite being semi proven then we try McGill who does well and then we go and sign an untested youngster.

Good cover I suppose but to drop McGill now would be harsh, we need to give youngsters a chance not just go out and loan in young guys from other clubs.

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Signing could be good but the way we got about things is baffling at times.

Ryan dropped out despite being semi proven then we try McGill who does well and then we go and sign an untested youngster.

Good cover I suppose but to drop McGill now would be harsh, we need to give youngsters a chance not just go out and loan in young guys from other clubs.

Get what you're saying. Had been hoping to see Smith recalled. Would probably prefer that to signing Afolabi.

Nah, McGill has done nothing to suggest he’s ready for this level yet or any time soon. Nothing against the boy, he seems to have a decent attitude and puts himself about but there’s very little quality there at the moment.

I sort of agree about McGill not really looking up to it but the whole point in bringing in these young players was to develop them. There is no benefit to playing a young lad a couple of times and then bombing him out of the team so we can develop another side's young player instead.

If you think they're ready to play first team then give them a run of games. If they're not or you're unsure, leave them out.

Looking into it a bit deeply undoubtedly, but would anyone take Byrne back? Him and Crawford were having a big chat at the end of the game on Friday. 

I thought he was largely anonymous at us previously, however Livingston fans seemed to love him. 

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Looking into it a bit deeply undoubtedly, but would anyone take Byrne back? Him and Crawford were having a big chat at the end of the game on Friday. 

I thought he was largely anonymous at us previously, however Livingston fans seemed to love him. 

Yes please.

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

You are nearly certainly looking too much into it.  Bryne has come to our games before and clearly still has a relationship with some at the club, Crawford would have been around when he was here with his son playing u20s as bryne broke into the side.  I think it was simply a catch up, something we see most matches between players.  
I probably would take him if we can get him playing like he did at livi.  He lacked a toughness to his game last time but livi seemed to get that out of him however the worry is it seems to have disappeared again at Dundee. Is Crawford the guy to get someone playing more aggressively? Probably not.

he has a long term deal likely on good wages which I can’t see him giving up easily and it’s not a position we need,  definitely can’t see it happening.

I sort of agree about McGill not really looking up to it but the whole point in bringing in these young players was to develop them. There is no benefit to playing a young lad a couple of times and then bombing him out of the team so we can develop another side's young player instead.
If you think they're ready to play first team then give them a run of games. If they're not or you're unsure, leave them out.
This

Nisbet attracting interest from English Championship and Italian clubs according to one of the rags.

Mental how we'll spend the rest of the window knocking back 7 figure bids from Leeds and Fiorentina.

If Dundee United are genuinely looking for 3mil for Shankland, then that's how much I'd be setting the bar for. If Championship clubs, like Leeds, as an example, are genuinely interested, then there's no reason why we shouldn't set the bar high: they have tonnes of cash to burn in that league and we shouldn't be letting them take the piss out us. 

Nisbet is much younger and every bit as good as Shankland. Shankland's value may have inflated due to getting Scotland caps. 

2 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Nisbet is much younger and every bit as good as Shankland. Shankland's value may have inflated due to getting Scotland caps. 

Do you think the Scotland caps will mean anything? Like genuinely the amount of duds that have caps is crazy. I would say caps at the world cup or euros are viewed differently. 

Just now, 101 said:

Do you think the Scotland caps will mean anything? Like genuinely the amount of duds that have caps is crazy. I would say caps at the world cup or euros are viewed differently. 

I think on the face of it clubs might think "Oh, called up for Scotland, he must be quite good" but really, in Shankland's case, there was literally nothing of decent quality up front available when he was part of the squad. Not taking his caps away from him though, he deserved them 

I still believe Nisbet is every bit as good as Shankland. 

4 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

I think on the face of it clubs might think "Oh, called up for Scotland, he must be quite good" but really, in Shankland's case, there was literally nothing of decent quality up front available when he was part of the squad. Not taking his caps away from him though, he deserved them 

I still believe Nisbet is every bit as good as Shankland. 

Shankland is better but I would say he is approaching his pinnacle Nesbit needs to work on his weaker foot and some of his play but he will get better and clearly likes working with Crawford who can coach him.

For anyone to score ten or so goals in the english championship you're taking probably 10M plus.
Asking them for 500k isn't much. Its bargain bin and a steal if hes any good at that level.
If shankland is worth 3 hes worth 2 but it doesnt work like that. I also think hes a better all round player rather than just a finisher.