Walking Down The Halbeath Road

How lazy does Nisbet look btw? He just saunters about and doesn't look remotely interested. Wouldn't be adverse to signing another striker on loan or giving McGill a chance.

I’m not buying this at all. It’s extremely lazy in itself to suggest that players are “lazy” and “disinterested” just because he isn’t running around frantically for the entire game. From the games I’ve seen, Nisbet has covered a tremendous amount of ground, so much so that he’s only lasted 65 minutes or so, and that’s not to criticise his fitness - he’s just a very hardworking player.

I wasn’t at Arbroath, but if it is the case that Nisbet isn’t knocking his pan in for the entire match, maybe Crawford is telling him to take it a bit easier because we’re not winning games in the first half like he’d hoped.

I’m not buying this at all. It’s extremely lazy in itself to suggest that players are “lazy” and “disinterested” just because he isn’t running around frantically for the entire game. From the games I’ve seen, Nisbet has covered a tremendous amount of ground, so much so that he’s only lasted 65 minutes or so, and that’s not to criticise his fitness - he’s just a very hardworking player.

I wasn’t at Arbroath, but if it is the case that Nisbet isn’t knocking his pan in for the entire match, maybe Crawford is telling him to take it a bit easier because we’re not winning games in the first half like he’d hoped.

Aye, it's a fair point about him being isolated. The comment was also related to how he rarely jumped for a header all game and hardly got down the channels like I've seen him do previously.

Hope he starts scoring and gets his confidence up, I would say he would benefit from another striker up there with him but I think the majority of his goals with Raith came as a lone striker.

Strikers playing up front, on their own, expected to score goals with lumped balls will always look lethargic when they’re basically having scraps to score with.

I thought we were going to see some real progression, tactically, since AJ left, but it seems we’re just regressing.

Aye, it's a fair point about him being isolated. The comment was also related to how he rarely jumped for a header all game and hardly got down the channels like I've seen him do previously. 

Hope he starts scoring and gets his confidence up, I would say he would benefit from another striker up there with him but I think the majority of his goals with Raith came as a lone striker.

He had nothing to work with. Struggle to think of a single occasion where a decent ball was put into a channel for him to pressure. I also think he deliberately stayed within the width of the box which looked tactical. I don’t think balls into channels would have worked with the wind and defence sitting fairly deep. On headers, again there was nothing to work with and he was only likely to win a battle with the Center backs when he had the ball in at chest height or bellow.

I also highly doubt he’s unconfident right now. Fair enough if our form continues but he’s come of a brilliant season, good Betfred campaign and can be happy with his performances up to last week, I doubt his ego is that fragile.

The best of it is, it’s so easy to deal with defensively. Crawford was so naive on Saturday. Did he seriously think a Dick Campbell side is going to have a defence that will struggle with high balls? Total garbage.

I think some teams think that because Ricky Little at cb is under 6ft that the high ball will work but he wins the majority of headers with his great jumping.

The best of it is, it’s so easy to deal with defensively. Crawford was so naive on Saturday. Did he seriously think a Dick Campbell side is going to have a defence that will struggle with high balls? Total garbage.

14 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Aye,  though I’m not entirely sure it was deliberately tactical, seemed to be just what we did when we ran out of ideas.

IMO our best chance of getting ourselves up the pitch and into dangerous areas would have been better served if he had turner dropping deep and taking the ball of the Center backs and trying to get some quick passing going though midfield.  It kinda happened when Cochrane came on but far too little far too late.

On 01/09/2019 at 13:35, Salvo Montalbano said:

Martin wasn't great against United but he's been one of our better performers this season, so I wouldn't be dropping him. Also not sure about Beadling at centre half, for all the stuff about him playing there in his youth I can't remember him playing there for us apart from maybe in the Challenge Cup at Inverness, so asking someone to play there having not done so for about 3 years and to replace an experienced centre back and to be in beside someone who hasn't played a first team game for us and to play in front of the second choice keeper seems a bit of a gamble to say the least! I'd bring Lang in for Devine, hope that Dow is fit and consider replacing Paton with Cochrane (or Todd) but I worry that yet again it'll be the physical side of things that let us down against Caley.

Our experienced centre backs have been shipping goals and we have a severe lack of options, it's not ideal but can't be worse than recent weeks.  I'd say continually playing a keeper with sieve-hands is a bigger gamble. Paton has been performing better than Beadling at CM (still not well mind you) so dropping our most experienced midfielder and club captain for an 18 year old loanee seems i big gamble. Todd (I accept he is young and may improve) has looked massively out of his depth anytime i've seen him this season and would be an even bigger gamble. 

4 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Kirk Broadfoot within budget? I'd offer him a deal until season end and punt Devine at the same time. 

Calls for Kirk Clubfoot and James Vincent in the past week as a solution to our problems, the panic alarm has truly sounded.

Paton has been better than Beadling, in the league anyway. Both have been shite this season though and performing the better of the two is no achievement.

We don't need to sign old, shite players. We need to instill confidence and pick up a win with the young, talented players we have. This involves Crawford being less naive tactically and being prepared for a change of tactic during games, as well as making the players believe that they are capable.

This is not an easy task and there seems to be a big hangover from last season, we ended in horrific form and we don't appear to have improved this season, despite having players who look better than the ones we had.

The best way forward I see is showing the players that nobody is guaranteed a place in the first 11 and to generate healthy competition for the first 11, this stops the players feeling under pressure about the form and shift their focus onto playing well for a place in the team. It would also make Craw's job easier by showing him who is hungry and willing to go out and make something happen and not wait for someone else to do it. 

40 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Our experienced centre backs have been shipping goals and we have a severe lack of options, it's not ideal but can't be worse than recent weeks.  I'd say continually playing a keeper with sieve-hands is a bigger gamble. Paton has been performing better than Beadling at CM (still not well mind you) so dropping our most experienced midfielder and club captain for an 18 year old loanee seems i big gamble. Todd (I accept he is young and may improve) has looked massively out of his depth anytime i've seen him this season and would be an even bigger gamble. 

Agree with this, for me Beadling has been poor. Good in patches then disappears. Very similar to Byrne a few years back. He has talent but lacks something to stand out. Livingston sorted it with Byrne. We couldn’t.

Todd gets stuck in but lacks awareness and gets bounced off the ball. We are really missing Thomson.

36 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I don't think there's been much between them tbh which is quite damning for Mr Beadling. Needs to get his finger out.

I think Beadlings problems are being exacerbated by playing beside Paton, in the lesgue Cup where Patons lack of pace and mobility wasn't getting shown up as much Beadling looked genuinely fantastic, however since going into the league campaign and coinciding with Paton dropping deeper and deeper Beadling is looking worse and worse, often because he's coming up against 2/3 central midfielders in his area while Paton is about 15 yards deeper.