Walking Down The Halbeath Road

In fairness the new shapes club's have started using in the past decade or so you do often see the number 4 in midfield sitting just in front of the back 4. But traditional it's just wrong.

It doesn't really matter. Nisbet will be first choice striker this year and was always going to be, but he'll  be assigned his usual number 15 squad number.

Ian Wright used number 8 for majority of Arsenal career which I think breaks the mould even more than someone who picks a high squad number though is a regular starter like Pirlo's 21. I'm sure William Gallas wore number 10 while playing centre half for Arsenal.

Can you imagine an all-star Pars lineup, in the dressing room for a showcase game against a World XI all-star team. The strips are hanging up on the pegs, Leish is reading the boys a poem and Disco Deek is there translating it for Kozma, Ivo is smoking a joint and Stuart Adamson is playing some bagpipey guitar tunes accompanied by a cheery vagrant with his keyboard set to demo mode accompanying him. The bridies are flowing.  Can you imagine some midfielder strolling in, brushing Norrie out of the way and taking the number 4 strip? 

2 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Rui Patricio wore number 11 last season, when he was first choice keeper at Wolves. Think that’s the most bizarre one I can think of.

Edgar Davids wearing number 1 in midfield  at Barnet is probably the closest I can think of.

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Can you imagine an all-star Pars lineup, in the dressing room for a showcase game against a World XI all-star team. The strips are hanging up on the pegs, Leish is reading the boys a poem and Disco Deek is there translating it for Kozma, Ivo is smoking a joint and Stuart Adamson is playing some bagpipey guitar tunes accompanied by a cheery vagrant with his keyboard set to demo mode accompanying him. The bridies are flowing.  

this is how i imagine heaven to be

8 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

Rui Patricio wore number 11 last season, when he was first choice keeper at Wolves. Think that’s the most bizarre one I can think of.

Former Aberdeen striker Hitcham Zerouali wore 0. Died in a car crash though. 

1 was a goalkeeper when numbers first came in, then 2 and 3 were the full backs (the only defenders in the original 2-3-5 formation) then the half backs wore 4, 5 and 6 going from left to right, then the five forwards wore 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (outside right - modern day right winger - then inside right, centre forward (still no. 9), inside left and then outside left). Depending on which half back stayed up and which two dropped back when 4 at the back became popular gave rise to some centre backs wearing 4 and 5 (tended to be the case in Scotland I think) and 6 being a midfielder or vice versa. Same goes for the second striker (where Ian Wright wore no. 8 and the Arsenal no. 10 would play in midfield). In the Netherlands, where the game developed after numbered shirts they traditionally line up 2-3-4-5 across the back with the left back wearing no. 5 (which caused a problem at OldCo Rangers when they signed Colin Hendry while Artur Newman already had the no. 5 shirt) and then often 6-7-8-9 across the midfield (Cruyff often wore 9 for Ajax playing as a midfielder who would drift wherever he wanted before famously wearing no. 14 at the World Cup). For me, I think 4 being a deep midfielder is more "modern" when 4 being a centre half is more "traditional".

You can tell it's the holidays...

That's numberwang

In fairness the new shapes club's have started using in the past decade or so you do often see the number 4 in midfield sitting just in front of the back 4. But traditional it's just wrong.
It doesn't really matter. Nisbet will be first choice striker this year and was always going to be, but he'll  be assigned his usual number 15 squad number.
Ian Wright used number 8 for majority of Arsenal career which I think breaks the mould even more than someone who picks a high squad number though is a regular starter like Pirlo's 21. I'm sure William Gallas wore number 10 while playing centre half for Arsenal.

4 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
28 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:
Former Aberdeen striker Hitcham Zerouali wore 0. Died in a car crash though. 

That was Diana's number too.

What was the difference between George Best and Di's chauffeur?

Spoiler

George Best could still take a corner when he was pissed.

1 hour ago, ShaggysBeard said:

The line isn't great, but ultimately it's Beadling mistake.

Nah,  that kick out should have resulted in ashcroft heading clear, which he failed to do(under bizzare pressure from his fellow center half), morrison should be dropping off to pick up the pieces should ashcroft have failed to clear,  only after those 2 mistakes does beadling losing his man become a factor.

And stellaboz needs to GTF with his numbering