Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Didn't bother travelling yesterday as I wanted to watch on BT, although usually when we're on the telly we let ourselves down. Well how surprised was I?

That first half was as good as I've seen us in a year. I think we took the foot off a bit in the second half, I wouldn't say St.Mirren done well and the BT Sport pundits seemed to think the same. They've a lot of work to do if they want to stay up. The left back was hopeless.

As for our lot -

Scully didn't have his best games but apart from a few crosses he didn't have a lot to do. Comrie was composed, he isn't going to bomb on like Williamson but he'll be twice the defender Williamson will ever be. Morrison, Ashcroft and Martin all done well, especially the latter. I feel he's used the time away from the team last season to bulk up. Paton isn't a glamorous footballer but when in dangerous positions he gets rid, rather than fcuk about and lose position in a risky area. Beadling, Dow & Coley were really good and Ryan and Nisbet looked like a partnership that is starting to blossom. That'll improve as we go.

McGill, Turner and McCann all done well when they came on. The most pleasing thing was they kept trying to go forward when they had the ball. The only thing in mind was attack and try to get another goal.

Thought it a bit odd that Crawford has removed Ashcroft as the skipper, however I agree with the decision. Hopefully it allows the big man to concentrate on his own game which lacked last season. Pleased Paton now has the armband, he's been and done it before as captain and played at an international level.

Edited by JFPar

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

But back to the point, I'm eager to see Martin get a good run in the team. He's been a good full back, much better than at centre half and he's got the build to cope strength wise and pace wise.

Also, I don't mind if he and Comrie don't spring past anyone further up, leave it for the attacking players and focus more on their defensive duties. More than fine with that.

Totally agree with this. 

Martin was doing a far better job than Talbot when he replaced him back in the day, so much so he kept Talbot out the starting line up. I was gutted when the lad got injured, but now delighted to see that he has picked up where he left off, and will likely become a top player for us. 

Certainly wouldn’t expect Morrison to keep murray or Ashcroft out the side, however if he backs up yesterday this a few more decent performances in the group then he may well do enough to be considered 3rd choice.

On change of captain, it was kinda rumoured when Paton joined but both he and Crawford dismissed at the time and indeed Ashcroft still captained during pre-season. I think we saw a far better performance from Ashcroft than he did last year when he seemed affected by the captaincy, he seemed more comfortable with the young guys around about him concentrating on dealing with what came his way and not trying to do read what everyone else was doing.

Will be interesting to see how solid the defence look against a better side. Hopefully they won't be tested too vigorously in our remaining group matches but the homes games with the two Dundee clubs will be a challenge.

Would also not expect Morrison to keep his place when Murray, Lang and Devine are all fit. 

Morrison was preferred to Lang yesterday. Our strongest backline is probably Comrie Ashy Murray Martin but Stuart didn't do his chances any harm with that performance yesterday and I for one would be happy for him to be a main stay in the starting XI.

I think Lang will be a week or 2 behind the rest so will probably see more of him during the group stages. Sheilds fancies Morrison as a holding midfielder but good to hear that he is putting presure on the first team so early in the season.

I thought Morrison was really good in the holding midfield role against Kelty. I heard he did well at right back up at Forfar and now he followed all that up with a great performance against premiership opposition. I thought the guy was heading for the door end of last year tae.

Big boost for us, that he and Lewis McCann are looking so good going into the new season.

Lang will still be fairly new in SC's mind compared to a known quantity of Morrison so I'd expect Lang to get a game against lesser opposition like on wednesday so he can see him with less pressure and then make a decision from there going forward

Great seeing them having faith in the homegrown youth and giving them a fair crack at it, needs to be more of that at our level 

Watched the game on BT; thought the Pars were excellent first half, particularly given how many new players they had on the pitch.  Check the highlights and watch Kevin Nisbet’s reaction to the Pars second goal.  I get the feeling he enjoys playing for Fifes big team 😉

13 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Morrison will just have to watch he doesn't end up being too useful like Martin. Managers love versatile players but it does make it hard for them to nail down a regular place in the starting XI.

Often helps to keep you in a contract though.

3 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Reckon he can probably be utilized as a winger, really think we need a other out and out winger though. With Smith going on loan that probably confirms we'll see another striker come in.

Could this potential striker be the lad Ross said “is worth waiting for?”